+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Mildred Pierce on HBO

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Re: Mildred Pierce on HBO

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Part One

I wondered that too. I took it that she may have been not getting much loving from her husband for years since he was having an affair and the woman was just ready for some intimate contact.

Something else I didn't get was the talk her friend had with her before she went on the date with her husband's friend. Her girlfriend was trying to talk her out of letting the man take her out to dinner. She suggested that Mildred stay home and prepare him a meal instead. Something about expectations and being "on the town" as they called it. I don't understand her reasoning. Her whole logic made no sense to me. Does anyone know what she was trying to say?
    I think she was suggesting that Mildred provide him with a meal, instead of the other way around. If he didn't spend money on her, he couldn't have any crass expectations. Plus, she'd be in "control" of the time and place. Unfortunately, she did all this and still succumbed immediately to a rather awkward, ham-handed seduction. Maybe she just wanted a man to "take care" of her? And, as a business consultant, he wound up meeting those expectations.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

I don't have HBO but I did see the orginal version with Joan Crawford. You have to keep in mind the time frame of this movie. This was the depression of the 30's when there wans't child support, welfare or food stamps. I don't recall the orginal having nudity or much in the way of sex scenes.

I glad they didn't remake this into a modern-time version.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Yes, it really would make little sense in today's world, with better options for women and a bigger social safety net.
    Re the date's "expectations", in the "olden days" if you were unmarried and a presumed virgin it would be safe to accept a date without having to deal with assumptions that you would "put out". But if you were divorced you were really a "fallen woman"...and a man's expectations might be quite different re the quid pro quo. Do I remember correctly that MP is divorced by this time? I'm not watching and haven't seen the original in many, many years.

FORT Fogey

dicussion on first 3 parts

This was written in 1941 and took place in the 30's, an era familiar to the author. The original movie did not show sex but did elude to it as has been said by those who watched it. I will believe it is accurate.

Okay, given all of that, why did the producers think this story would captivate audiences in the 21st century? This is no Casa Blanca! Sure people still love to read the classics, see old films and historical movies made today but somehow this seems to pale in comparison.

I don't like old black and white movies and even find myself impatient watching a movie I enjoyed from the 90's because in a world of cell phones the plot seems oddly archaic when new technology would have changed the course of things. I guess they are just not old enough yet.

I don't think it would have been a bad idea to get Kate a better hair style. There were some that exceeded her wig, surely. And certainly there are better actresses out there for the daughter. Or a better director if they are responsible! There is something off about this for me. Or maybe I just don't like it. I know the plot synopsis. This is a slice of life in the 30's which makes me very glad I live on an island in a tropical climate in 2011!

In summation, I don't like this!

Oh Shopie, if you don't like old movies, then MP may not be for you. I adore old movies. They are really into a class all their own IMO.

My favorite time period for movies was in the 1950's and early 1960's. It's just something about that time period that makes me enjoy watching. Have you ever seen A Place in the Sun, A Summer Place, Splendor in the Grass, Rosemary's Baby or Breakfast at Tiffany's?

FORT Fogey

Oh Shopie, if you don't like old movies, then MP may not be for you. I adore old movies. They are really into a class all their own IMO.

My favorite time period for movies was in the 1950's and early 1960's. It's just something about that time period that makes me enjoy watching. Have you ever seen A Place in the Sun, A Summer Place, Splendor in the Grass, Rosemary's Baby or Breakfast at Tiffany's?
    I grew up with the romance movies of the 50's and 60's and saw every one! Splender in the Grass captivated me back then. We all loved it! I am not sure I would enjoy them today. Old movies, for me, mean black and white way before I was a movie goer. I did like a few like Casa Blanca and of course Gone With the Wind. It is a very specific catagory for me.

I am going to hang in there with MP because it is not uncommon for me to like a movie after I have finished it. I have invested 3 hours out of the 5 and I can use FF though some non dialog scenes.

I heard an interesting story on my local radio station about Kate Winslet and Evan Rachel Wood. It seem Kate was giving Wood some helpful advice for her upcoming frontal nude scene. It involved a....... well, I know the name for it, but don't want to get in trouble on these boards, so I won't name it. You might find it by google. I was a little shocked. I had never heard of such a device before.

FORT Fogey

I heard an interesting story on my local radio station about Kate Winslet and Evan Rachel Wood. It seem Kate was giving Wood some helpful advice for her upcoming frontal nude scene. It involved a....... well, I know the name for it, but don't want to get in trouble on these boards, so I won't name it. You might find it by google. I was a little shocked. I had never heard of such a device before.
    There is nothing wrong in talking about a Merkin which is a pubic wig. They are used in films, worn by actors to prevent inadvertent exposure of the genitalia during nude or semi-nude scenes.

Oh, no way. LOL I just haven't seen anything since Part III. How many parts are there?

I will be out of town this weekend and I don't think the place I'll be has HBO, so I won't be able to view and comment until after Tuesdsay next week.

I've considered watching the original movie, but I'm not sure if that's a good idea. What do you think? I thought I had seen it some time ago, but as the movie has progessed, I don't think I did see it now.

FORT Fogey

I bet some chanel will show the original after this finishes. I will watch it but with liberal use of FF, I am sure. With our fast pace world I have trouble staying connected to slow moving plots. If ADD were known when I was young I think I would have fit that profile. No joke here, really.

+ Reply to Thread