+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Mildred Pierce on HBO

Re: Mildred Pierce on HBO

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post
    Thanks debb and shoepie for the explanations. I really want to read the book, now.
    I read in the article posted above that there are some very big differences in the orginal and the HBO version. So big that it makes me you wonder.

FORT Fogey

Since this show is being run in all stages over the next period of time there will always be posters not caught up with those who are ahead. So lets do this.
    At the top of the text of your post put, in bold, how far along you are in the series and those behind can skip to the posts that will give away the plot. Like this: Discussion on Parts 1, 2 and 3

This thread will not be fun to visit or post if we can't talk about what we have seen!
    Last edited by shoepie; 04-04-2011 at 01:22 PM.

FORT Fogey

Discussion on parts 1 and 2

I just caught this last night. I don't find the older daugher enjoyable to watch. I know it was the author's choice to portray her as one interested in the finer aspects of life and a snob using formal stlited language but it doesn't work for me. It is a phase she is going through and we probably won't see that when she is older. I hope so anyway. I thought the younger daughter was an excellent actress. She seemed very natural and acted just like a young, bouncy kid would.

I kept waiting for Mildred's hair to grow and change so she would look softer and more appealing. One scene, the wig was almost good. I hope that changes, too.

There is not much to say yet other than I don't like her new boyfriend. I am looking forward to part 3 tonight.

FORT Fanatic

Discussion Part One Part Two and Part Three

The daughter is very poorly played and or directed in this version so far. She is almost unwatchable. Now that I am finished with watching part three and no longer hoping that her character will be better acted, I wish they would have casted someone who had more ability to play a selfish girl instead of casting someone who can only portray a whiner. In the book this key figure was not whiney, she was (even as a young girl) extremely self adulating. Mildred wants, nee craves love, but Veda craves more Veda. At least that is how I always saw this character.

Quote Originally Posted by imissme View Post
    Discussion Part One Part Two and Part Three

The daughter is very poorly played and or directed in this version so far. She is almost unwatchable. Now that I am finished with watching part three and no longer hoping that her character will be better acted, I wish they would have casted someone who had more ability to play a selfish girl instead of casting someone who can only portray a whiner. In the book this key figure was not whiney, she was (even as a young girl) extremely self adulating. Mildred wants, nee craves love, but Veda craves more Veda. At least that is how I always saw this character.

Parts I, II and III.

I agree with what you said about the older daughter. I just don't buy it. She is really like a caricature too in addition to the charming, Malibu boyfriend. I don't think they really relate that well to the other characters. They are too one dimensional. I'm not sure if it's the script, acting or directing. It's a shame. It will be interesting to see how the older Veda (Evan Rachel Wood) takes over that role in the next part.

Parts 1,2,3

I'm having a hard time staying awake watching this show. I really expected more.

I love Kate...but the daughter? What a bore. I don't think she's a very good actress and wish they would hurry up and grow her up so Evan Rachel Wood could take over. Why is it taking so long? It just keeps plodding along....and yet nothing interesting seems to happen.

For me it's a big disappointment so far....and the original movie blows it away.

But...I'll watch the rest and hope for the best.

(Part one only)

I have only watched Part One so far...the other parts are recorded and I can't wait to sit and watch them.
    Have always loved the original movie but this is very interesting and well acted. It fills in a lot that was missing from the movie.
    I was a little puzzled by Mildred having sex with her husband's friend/colleague so quickly when she could care less about him and didn't want to use him as a meal ticket or for anything else. I didn't think it was that common in the '30's but I don't really know. It just didn't seem to fit for me.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by megan31917 View Post
    Parts 1,2,3

I'm having a hard time staying awake watching this show. I really expected more.
    I love Kate...but the daughter? What a bore. I don't think she's a very good actress and wish they would hurry up and grow her up so Evan Rachel Wood could take over. Why is it taking so long? It just keeps plodding along....and yet nothing interesting seems to happen.

For me it's a big disappointment so far....and the original movie blows it away.

But...I'll watch the rest and hope for the best.
    I fell asleep last night half way through part 3 and I dont feel compelled to finish it. I will with liberal use the FF. I am willing to hang in for a bit to see where this goes. I didn't see the original. The daughter is unbearable to watch. What were they thinking?!

FORT Fanatic

I am so happy to see that others agree with me about the daughter. I can be a bit picky sometimes, so I thought maybe it was just me. She makes me want to grab the tv and shake her out of her zombie state. Boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    (Part one only)

I have only watched Part One so far...the other parts are recorded and I can't wait to sit and watch them.
    Have always loved the original movie but this is very interesting and well acted. It fills in a lot that was missing from the movie.
    I was a little puzzled by Mildred having sex with her husband's friend/colleague so quickly when she could care less about him and didn't want to use him as a meal ticket or for anything else. I didn't think it was that common in the '30's but I don't really know. It just didn't seem to fit for me.
    Part One

I wondered that too. I took it that she may have been not getting much loving from her husband for years since he was having an affair and the woman was just ready for some intimate contact.

Something else I didn't get was the talk her friend had with her before she went on the date with her husband's friend. Her girlfriend was trying to talk her out of letting the man take her out to dinner. She suggested that Mildred stay home and prepare him a meal instead. Something about expectations and being "on the town" as they called it. I don't understand her reasoning. Her whole logic made no sense to me. Does anyone know what she was trying to say?

+ Reply to Thread