+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Camelot on Starz

Re: Camelot on Starz

last I heard which was about half way through the season was that it had already been renewed for a 2nd season....but you could easily be right...these people change their minds so much its hard to keep up with...it also makes it difficult to really get interested in a new show..its always in the back of your head ...well they will show me like 4 or 5 episodes just enough for it start to get good and then its .....Gone with the Wind..never to be heard from again and for them there is no tomorrow
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

It is offical :/ I am sad.. it was picking up at the end. I will miss Merlin

Camelot canceled, no season two | TV Series Finale

Camelot: Starz TV Series Cancelled, No Season Two
    Published:July 1, 2011

Starz has decided to cancel their Camelot TV series after one season. While the ratings weren’t bad for the Arthurian show, the numbers aren’t necessarily the whole reason why there won’t be a second season.

Camelot, as you might have guessed, is based on the legend of King Arthur. The series stars Jamie Campbell Bower as a young King Arthur, with Joseph Fiennes as Merlin, Eva Green as Morgan, and Tamsin Egerton as Guinevere.

The premiere attracted 1.1 million viewers with a 0.5 rating in the 18-49 demographic. That marked the cable channel’s most-watched and highest-rated original series premiere to date. Unfortunately, the second installment dropped 24% in total viewership and subsequent episodes dropped even further. Still, by the end of the season, the ratings were on an upswing. The finale nearly matching the viewership of the premiere.

While Camelot may have ordinarily ended up getting a renewal from Starz, the ratings weren’t the only factor in play.

A statement from a Starz representative notes, “Due to significant production challenges, Starz has decided not to exercise the option for subsequent seasons of Camelot with our production partners GK-tv, Octagon Films and Take 5 Productions.” Deadline reports that some of those “challenges” included scheduling conflicts with some of the actors.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

I'm not surprised it was cancelled. I tried and tried to watch and just couldn't get into it. I think it was probably harmed by comparisons to Game of Thrones and The Borgias, two far superior series that were airing at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by ButterflyFaery View Post
    sorry you aren't enjoying it..I am..but as I said I don't know much about the period but I always heard that the story of Arthur and the knights of the round table was a fictonal story anyway...or at least from all the reading I have done since it started there is no real evidence that it existed so IDK...and like I said from the stories I read Arthur was just a child when he became King so I guess they had to have someone young..I can't wait to see how far they take it and how they have him grow up
    I DO know a bit about Arthurian legend and loved Excalibur, but that has nothing to do with why I didn't like the show. IMO, it was just badly cast (in some keys roles, including Arthur), poorly scripted and too much like "Camelot meets the CW." If a show does a good job with production and casting and tells a good story with a good cast, I'll watch. I don't care if it veers from previous treatments of the same type of material. This show just wasn't good enough. I guess I wasn't the only one who felt that way.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

The cancellation comes as no surprise to me, either.

I've loved the Arthurian legends all my life. I've read Malory's Le Morte d'Arthur in both Middle and Modern English, and read the Middle English version aloud to my youngest son who adored it (at age 7!). It helped him love Shakespeare later on in his school years, and he spent a few years in Camelot themed fantasy play with his friends. I've also read Mary Stewart's quintet of novels (twice), and loved them!

This show on Starz really did not begin to honor the legends. I had looked forward to seeing this series, and was too disappointed to continue watching it after the 3rd episode.

I would love to see another "Camelot" series, done well!
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123