+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 37 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree130Likes

Thread: The Killing (AMC)

The Killing (AMC)

About the Show

AMC has begun production on the network's next original series, The Killing. From writer, executive producer and series showrunner Veena Sud (Cold Case), The Killing is based on the wildly successful Danish television series Forbrydelsen and tells the story of the murder of a young girl in Seattle and the subsequent police investigation. Season one will consist of thirteen one-hour episodes and will debut with a 2 hour premiere on Sun., Apr. 3 at 9PM | 8C.

The Killing ties together three distinct stories around a single murder including the detectives assigned to the case, the victim's grieving family, and the suspects. Set in Seattle, the story also explores local politics as it follows politicians connected to the case. As the series unfolds, it becomes clear that there are no accidents; everyone has a secret, and while the characters think they've moved on, their past isn't done with them.

The Killing stars Mireille Enos (Big Love) as Sarah Linden, the lead homicide detective that investigates the death of Rosie Larsen; Billy Campbell (Once and Again) as Darren Richmond, Seattle's City Council President and now running for Mayor; Joel Kinnaman (Snabba Cash) as Stephen Holder, an ex-narc cop who joins the homicide division in the investigation to find Rosie's killer; Michelle Forbes (True Blood) as Rosie's mother, Mitch Larsen; and Brent Sexton (W., In the Valley of Elah) as Rosie's father, Stan Larsen.
    The Killing About the Show - AMC

Finally, something good to watch on Sunday nights again!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Re: The Killing (AMC)

I'm really looking forward to this one too DVR is already set for just in case!
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

The Killing on AMC

Here is another new one I'm going to look at. It seems to have a Twin Peaks feel to it although it is based upon a Danish tv series. First airing is Sunday at 9/8, but it has repeated showings after that and later during the week.

The Killing About the Show - AMC
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I just watched this...

I think we have a winner...characters, pacing, acting all really, really good. And a good old fashioned whodunnit too.

LOVE both lead detectives...
    Ain't Love Grand!

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

I just finished watching and I think I may end up liking it. There are a few aspects that put me off--the marketing was very much "Who killed Laura Palmer?" but minus the crazy Lynch touches, though I would like to think that Linden finding the "dead" blow-up doll wrapped in plastic was a nod to Twin Peaks. I'm a bit perplexed at the small details...so many flip phones, so many people smoking, it feels very 90's-ish. Aside from Michelle Forbes' performance (I always love her in anything), I'm not certain I buy the characters yet. Linden seems too closed off, her partner seems a bit glib to the point of unbelievable, and the political side of the story comes across as a second-rate Ghost Writer. But I'll stick with it for another couple of episodes. Unless someone orders cherry pie.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl View Post
    I just finished watching and I think I may end up liking it. There are a few aspects that put me off--the marketing was very much "Who killed Laura Palmer?" but minus the crazy Lynch touches, though I would like to think that Linden finding the "dead" blow-up doll wrapped in plastic was a nod to Twin Peaks. I'm a bit perplexed at the small details...so many flip phones, so many people smoking, it feels very 90's-ish. Aside from Michelle Forbes' performance (I always love her in anything), I'm not certain I buy the characters yet. Linden seems too closed off, her partner seems a bit glib to the point of unbelievable, and the political side of the story comes across as a second-rate Ghost Writer. But I'll stick with it for another couple of episodes. Unless someone orders cherry pie.
    Or starts dancing around with a log!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I thought it was solid and worth repeat viewing. I wasn't sold on Holder. He was too much. I didn't really like him, but he did grow on me right at the end.

I watched the ending and then the beginning when it was on repeat. I also sat to record so I can watch uninterupted in full. I think I will like it.

It caught my interest, but I did notice some problems early on. I hope it was just a gliche and I won't see anymore of them. It was when the lady Det. was working her last day on the job. She was supposed to fly out later that evening. Why in the world would you send that person out on a field call, even with a new guy with her? What if she found evidence? She would have to fly back for a trial if the case was solved. When someone is on their way out, they do desk work for weeks prior to leaving just to prevent that type of thing from happening.

I guess I'm too picky, but glaring storyliine problems turn me off. Please tell me the rest of the show isn't like that.

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

I watched! From the beginning until about the time the wife realizes the daughter is not "missing", I was b-o-r-e-d bored! BUT... once Michelle Forbes broke down and completely lost it, well, I was h-o-o-k-e-d hooked! Wish AMC would get their act together and broadcast in HD. I mean, it's 2011 and well quite frankly other networks have me spoiled

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Marlena, call your cable company and ask for AMC HD. I've had it for at least two years on Cox (I didn't have HD before then, so it could be around even longer).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 37 1234567891011 ... LastLast