+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 37 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728293031323334 ... LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 370
Like Tree130Likes

Thread: The Killing (AMC)

  1. #231
    FORT Fogey Debb70's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    10,543

    Re: The Killing (AMC)

    Quote Originally Posted by redsox girl View Post
    Eric Ladin THE KILLING Season 2 Interview

    Actor Eric Ladin, who plays campaign manager Jamie Wright, on The Killling , talks about the reaction some fans had to the season one finale:

    Were you surprised by the reaction fans had to the Season 1 finale?

    ERIC LADIN: Yeah, I was. I do believe that AMC probably could have marketed it a different way, but at the same time, I didn’t think it deserved the backlash that it got. I thought that was a little much. At the end of the day, it’s just television. There’s not really a dead girl in a trunk. It’s a television show that’s meant to entertain. Even if it doesn’t follow the exact guidelines that you believe are how television should go, different things are good. I think a lot of us, who are very close to the project, knew from the Danish series (Forbrydelsen) that it took two seasons, so I guess we never really thought about it much. We knew that that took two seasons, and that was the formula that we were following.
    TRANSLATION: I'm humiliated that I was involved with this project. I wish I could apologize to the viewers, but they have me by the bulls and I have to pretend that the script made any sense at all. As soon as I collect my last pay check and see if I will work anymore, I may be more honest about this piece of crayola. LOL
    (Hey, times are hard. People need jobs. I get it.)
    waywyrd, Florimel and Shoepie like this.

  2. #232
    FORT Fogey redsox girl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    live in the now
    Posts
    2,790

    Re: The Killing (AMC)

    Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    I'd much rather watch The Killing than:

    -The 15th spinoff of Law and Order or CSI. How can people not be tired of these routine crime shows already?

    -The fad of countless corny dancing and singing shows

    -Some rednecks on the history channel or A&E hunting wabbits and getting bugs stuck in their beards

    -Comedies with hardly any laughs such as The New Girl

    and the list goes on..
    I do like Law & Order but as you say, it's all become repetitive. I think I watched maybe two episodes of NCIS and CSI total. Those two shows aren't for me because they leave out the human element and lead the viewer to believe crimes can be solved quickly through science. It's all too mechanical for me. The Killing reminds me of real life, the uncertainty, the dreariness. the sense of justice not being served up on a nice neat platter. So many true life crimes are riddled with mistakes, they drag out, the wrong person is convicted, cases go unsolved, detectives become obsessed, victims families fall apart -The Killing to me. tries to bring in the psychological aspects, the flaws and the graces in each character as well as the complexity of their lives. At least with the main characters. Its almost as if finding out who killed Rosie Larson is secondary to how such a tragedy affects those left to deal with the aftermath of the murder-the family, the detectives, the suspects. I find this concept intriguing and emotionally satisfying. If you've been a victim of a terrible crime you know justice drags out for months and months, even years and that sometimes the victims, whether living or dead, don't get justice. Sometimes the wrong person is considered the perp and their lives become hell for a long long time. This show delves into these truths and I appreciate that honesty. It took the Danish version two seasons to reveal the killer and viewers took it in stride, as part of the process. No backlash. I think that's interesting. Is it cultural? I'm Swedish and part of the culture, in terms of tv and writing and movies, has a bleakness to it. An endless grey horizon.
    YorkieMom and Lonnie like this.
    " I have a simple outlook-leave every person I meet with a smile on their face."-Donny

  3. #233
    FORT Fogey redsox girl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    live in the now
    Posts
    2,790

    Re: The Killing (AMC)

    Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    TRANSLATION: I'm humiliated that I was involved with this project. I wish I could apologize to the viewers, but they have me by the bulls and I have to pretend that the script made any sense at all. As soon as I collect my last pay check and see if I will work anymore, I may be more honest about this piece of crayola. LOL
    (Hey, times are hard. People need jobs. I get it.)
    The show has at least another season. You don't have to watch. BTW, Eric Linden is a very busy character actor. I guess I don't understand the need to mock, that's all.
    " I have a simple outlook-leave every person I meet with a smile on their face."-Donny

  4. #234
    Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,978

    Re: The Killing (AMC)

    For me, most of my frustration with the show would be eliminated if they didn't stick with the one episode = one day formula. We've been watching for over a year now and it's barely been three weeks in "show time". That's what makes Richmond's and Holder's recovery so hard to buy. Or the accusation that Linden was obsessing over the case before a week had passed--that is a fair accusation now, but homicide detectives do work a lot on a case at the start before the leads go cold. Part of the backlash after S1 really was AMC's & Sud's fault for implying that the killer would be revealed at the end of the first season in the marketing of the show. I have no idea how the original was promoted--it might not have made such implied promises.

    Why I continue to watch is because the actors bring a lot to their characters and the characters are really compelling. At first I hated Holder, but that "go nowhere" episode at the end of last season when they spent the day looking for Jack really won me over to the character. Stan has always been more than the ex-mafia guy and portrays a great amount of emotional depth; it realy came out when he made the call to Rosie's cell a couple weeks back. Even making Linden semi-robotic with minimal social skills, when pieced together with her background, makes her an interesting character. Heck, Richmond has grown on me, showing more depth as he recovers. Again, though, that would work better if it weren't just 11 days after he was paralyzed. That's a hell of a lot of personal growth for 11 days.

    However, changing the one day = one episode issue won't fix what is the jarringly unrealistic details. A cop beaten up on a reservation would bring in the feds ASAP. CPS doesn't threaten to take away a teenager in the middle of the night if they're housed, clothed, fed, and going to school. Linden shouldn't have been whisked away to the psych ward because Holder was there on the stake-out and should have been able to vouch for why she was there. A psychiatrist should have planned to marry his current patient. A city councilman should not run his mayorial campaign out of his councilman office. When these things happen, it takes me out of enjoying the characters and ask if the writers know anything about real life. It doens't have to be a procedural, but just realistic. I just want better writing and attention to detail because the universe of characters on the show is so good.
    redsox girl likes this.

  5. #235
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    13,531

    Re: The Killing (AMC)

    Quote Originally Posted by redsox girl View Post
    The show has at least another season. You don't have to watch. BTW, Eric Linden is a very busy character actor. I guess I don't understand the need to mock, that's all.
    We are all just giving our opinions and expressing humor in the process. That is allowed here. That is why message boards are so much fun. I am not watching, just checking in to see who the murderer is.

  6. #236
    FORT Fogey redsox girl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    live in the now
    Posts
    2,790

    Re: The Killing (AMC)

    Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl View Post
    For me, most of my frustration with the show would be eliminated if they didn't stick with the one episode = one day formula. We've been watching for over a year now and it's barely been three weeks in "show time". That's what makes Richmond's and Holder's recovery so hard to buy. Or the accusation that Linden was obsessing over the case before a week had passed--that is a fair accusation now, but homicide detectives do work a lot on a case at the start before the leads go cold. Part of the backlash after S1 really was AMC's & Sud's fault for implying that the killer would be revealed at the end of the first season in the marketing of the show. I have no idea how the original was promoted--it might not have made such implied promises.

    Why I continue to watch is because the actors bring a lot to their characters and the characters are really compelling. At first I hated Holder, but that "go nowhere" episode at the end of last season when they spent the day looking for Jack really won me over to the character. Stan has always been more than the ex-mafia guy and portrays a great amount of emotional depth; it really came out when he made the call to Rosie's cell a couple weeks back. Even making Linden semi-robotic with minimal social skills, when pieced together with her background, makes her an interesting character. Heck, Richmond has grown on me, showing more depth as he recovers. Again, though, that would work better if it weren't just 11 days after he was paralyzed. That's a hell of a lot of personal growth for 11 days.

    However, changing the one day = one episode issue won't fix what is the jarringly unrealistic details. A cop beaten up on a reservation would bring in the feds ASAP. CPS doesn't threaten to take away a teenager in the middle of the night if they're housed, clothed, fed, and going to school. Linden shouldn't have been whisked away to the psych ward because Holder was there on the stake-out and should have been able to vouch for why she was there. A psychiatrist should have planned to marry his current patient. A city councilman should not run his mayoral campaign out of his councilman office. When these things happen, it takes me out of enjoying the characters and ask if the writers know anything about real life. It doesn't have to be a procedural, but just realistic. I just want better writing and attention to detail because the universe of characters on the show is so good.
    You make great critiques about what hinders the show. I think the characters are well written and the actors portraying them are perfectly cast. The time line is a problem, as you said. Yes, Richmond's quick progress after being left paralyzed is hard to fathom,but at the same time I was moved by this past weeks episode in which Richmond, rather than cowing to threats and hiding his suicide attempt, went public with it-that was so moving and so I forgive the other mistakes made by Veena Sudd. Holders beating , yes, amazing recovery again. However, I can look past that because we are able to see yet more shades of his character as he becomes the support for Linden, as well as the lead detective, in a sense. Linden being hospitalized in the psychiatric unit and forced to take medication, not realistic. But her interaction with the head psychiatrist there was a great piece of acting by both parties.
    I suppose how willing an individual is to overlook a shows shortcomings depends on how much an individual appreciates other elements of a show. I get pulled in by the nuances of the acting and it just doesn't matter to me. Also, my understanding is that Linden already had her son taken away in the past and so it wouldn't be out of the question for childrens services to be on her (clearly she is a lousy mother.) Kids are taken away from and put back into their parents care at a sadly dizzingly rate in the real world so that's how I rationalize them showing up. Also, the fact that Holder and Linden are the only two detectives on the face of the planet who still use flip phones That cracks me up. THe show is flawed but it's not, imo, terrible. The concept overall is great-some of the finest shows in televison history started out shakey but evolved over time (a few years)

    In the original broadcast in Denmark and Scandinavia it was never advertised as wrapping up in one season-but then lots of tv from there unravels slowly so people are used to it-not necessarily having things wrap up the way they do here. HBO and Vena Sudd did a lousy job insinuating the killer would be found at the end of season one. I get people were mad. But, to me the backlash is out of proportion. It is just a TV show.
    " I have a simple outlook-leave every person I meet with a smile on their face."-Donny

  7. #237
    FORT Fogey Debb70's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    10,543

    Re: The Killing (AMC)

    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion about any show. Often it's a matter of perception. I love some shows that others just detest and think are terrible. If some like The Killing, then that's great. It's just not for me and apparently, many people were upset and disappointed with the first season, in light of what Eric Linden said (see upthread).

    The reason this show stood out and the reason I have been so vocal about my dislike for it, is that the show had so much potential. And I mock a little, but it's good spirited. I don't blame the actors. I'm sure they would have changed a lot if they had the authority.

    The show definitely had gifted actors. How could the writing/directing mess it up? Each week of Season 1 seemed to add insult to injury. No script is perfect and no criminal investigation is flawless, however, when a suposed seasoned detective has no clue as to proper procedure in a murder investigation, it turns me off. The incompetency of the detectives was so over the top, that I could barely force myself to watch. But, I did watch the entire first season.....believing there were be a payoff. It was an easy decision to stay away for season 2, but I would still like to know who the killer is.

    For those who are still watching please keep us informed. I'd love to know how this ends up. Does anyone know if it's been renewed for another season?
    Shoepie likes this.

  8. #238
    runs with scissors waywyrd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    21,530

    Re: The Killing (AMC)

    Yes, everyone is entitled to their opinions about any TV show on this site. Mock, love, hate, discuss, that's what we do here.

    I've read that a third season is a possibilty. Something about the way this season ends will open up the chance to explore "other crimes", according to the interview. If they do, I hope Holder is a still a part of it. Both the actor and the character are incredible. I will admit, the show has gotten much better as this season winds down.

    Looks like we're back to the councilman's campaign office for the killer. Darren's been ruled out (I think)...so, Gwen or Jamie? I just can't figure out motive from what we've been given.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

  9. #239
    FORT Fogey redsox girl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    live in the now
    Posts
    2,790

    Re: The Killing (AMC)

    Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post
    Yes, everyone is entitled to their opinions about any TV show on this site. Mock, love, hate, discuss, that's what we do here.

    I've read that a third season is a possibility. Something about the way this season ends will open up the chance to explore "other crimes", according to the interview. If they do, I hope Holder is a still a part of it. Both the actor and the character are incredible. I will admit, the show has gotten much better as this season winds down.

    Looks like we're back to the councilman's campaign office for the killer. Darren's been ruled out (I think)...so, Gwen or Jamie? I just can't figure out motive from what we've been given.
    Joel Kinnamen, the Swedish actor who portrays Holder, has a multi-year contract tied into The Killing. He's also working on a half dozen American movies, including the lead in the reboot of Robocop. In Sweden he's as famous as Brad Pitt is here-for instance, Sweden makes about 30 movies a year and last year Joel was the lead in 9 of them. I wish American audieces could hear his natural speaking voice-his Swedish accent is a 180 from Holders speaking voice. He doesn't even look much like Holder. Kinnamen decided early on he would go without much sleep in real life in order to look as tweaked out and haggard as possible.
    There's now a `fansite' for him that's gone viral, called `hell ya, Joel Kinnamen!.'
    Punkin and SpringMaiden27 like this.
    " I have a simple outlook-leave every person I meet with a smile on their face."-Donny

  10. #240
    "SPYING" ButterflyFaery's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Never Never Land
    Posts
    5,972

    Re: The Killing (AMC)

    all I will say is that IMO its a dog gone shame that this show got renewed for a second season when there are so many great shows out there that got gipped for a second season..there were quite a few shows that deserved a second season and didn't get it...but this show does...and for the life of me I can't figure out why
    Debb70 likes this.
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.