+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Portlandia (IFC)

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Portlandia (IFC)

'Portlandia' review: Good, but could get stale

With [Lorne] Michaels as executive producer, Fred Armisen, Sleater-Kinney's Carrie Brownstein and Jonathan Krisel are the creators of "Portlandia," a six-episode sketch-comedy show, premiering on the small but feisty cable channel IFC on Friday night.

The sketches all riff off the hippie-dippie mythology surrounding Portland, Ore., and its eternal case of Seattle-envy. The first show finds Armisen and Brownstein playing a couple ordering dinner at a Portland restaurant. How about chicken? All well and good, until they begin asking about the provenance of their forthcoming entree. Is it free-range? Did it eat only organic food in its brief lifetime? How large was the area in which it was allowed to range freely? Did it meet a humane end?
    The show premieres tonight at 10:30 EST on IFC. I heard a 2-minute preview clip on NPR today and it had me in stiches while I was driving to work. Is anyone else planning to watch this 6-part sketch comedy?
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Re: Portlandia (IFC)

I can't wait!
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

I wish I was able to have IFC. I would have to pay for a whole new "tier" of channels just to get it. Boo... this show sounds really fun. Hopefully I can catch it online sometime.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

I thought the first episode was a hoot, and Steve Buscemi's cameo was hilarious. Looking forward to next Friday. They only air it once a week, and I'd really like to watch the first one again. If it's out there on the net, I'll post where.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Love this show -- it's gently snarky take is spot on. My son lives there as do lots of his neo-hippie friends & I certainly recognized them.

I really liked the opening musical number. It really captured a vibe. The 90's live on!
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;4157150;
    I wish I was able to have IFC. I would have to pay for a whole new "tier" of channels just to get it. Boo... this show sounds really fun. Hopefully I can catch it online sometime.
    Try itunes - you can buy a season pass for all 6 episodes for 15.99. Way cheaper than adding a tier, right? I am downloading the first episode right now.

I lived in Portland for one year. Too bad it was the first year of my life! I hang out there now fairly often as my son lives there. It is a fun place to visit. I am looking forward to seeing all the episodes...

+ Reply to Thread