+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Six Feet Under - "Death Works Overtime" (5-11)

FORT Fogey

Six Feet Under - "Death Works Overtime" (5-11)

Today is a busy day for the Fisher & Diaz Funeral Home. First, there is a ruthless shooting at a convenience store during a holdup, then a Power Co. lineman is electrocuted during an earthquake, and thirdly, the fittest, youngest man in a group of overweight, older people working out on treadmills has a heart attack and dies right there on the gym floor. Hence we have the title.

Emotions are raw, troubles are many. Nate is distraught over Lisa's disappearance and is full of grief. Ruth keeps assuring him everything will be alright and we get the feeling that she is not dealing with it at all.

David and Claire are beset with their individual problems but rally to comfort Nate since he is sinking fast into the pool of his sorrow.

Russell keeps pursuing Claire and tries to win her back but he is not being honest with himself or her and she is so angry with him for his indiscretion with Olivier. She then has a confrontation with Olivier in which they hurl abuse at each other and she stalks out after having pushed his buttons, but she did not emerge unscathed either.

The drama keeps on building as Keith returns from San Diego and offers to use his connections with the Sheriff's Department to try and find Lisa. He and David have become veritable strangers and cannot seem to re-connect on an emotional level.

Rico has a millstone around his neck that's bigger than the monkey on Vanessa's back, his sister-in-law who is supposed to be taking care of Vanessa but instead maxes out the family credit card with purchases they can't afford. She is an awful influence on her sister and makes matters worse. Vanessa is not getting any better and has over-medicated herself with dangerous drugs.

Can things go downhill from here, or have we reached rock bottom yet? Strangely enough, as bad as this looks on paper, the show is really uplifting.

Claire finds herself pregnant. Brenda tries to connect with Nate at the worst possible time. She then meets up with her crazy mother and brother and tries to talk her mother into driving up to Malibu to dispose of her father's ashes. Instead, her Mom flings Dad's ashes off her Westwood balcony.

Ruth suddenly wakes up to the possibility that Lisa indeed may not return and begins to sob only to find herself being comforted by a stranger who has come to attend the convenience store owner's funeral. He has a kind face and we see that there is possibly a new man in Ruth's future. Talk about foreshadowing.

Nate gets a call that Lisa's car has been found at the very spot where she made her last phone call to him. Her bag, phone and remnants of snacks and drinks are in the car, but no sign of Lisa. Nate checks into a motel and is busy falling apart. There is a knock, and it's David and Claire to comfort him.

Very early the next morning, we see Nate sitting in Lisa's car listening to an old song on her radio and just gazing out motionlessly. He is thoroughly drained and grief-stricken and we are right there with him as it all fades away.

Only two episodes left.

Ok I finally saw this episode (missed it Sunday) and wow... they're gonna go out with a BANG this season!!

I see so much potential for what's gonna happen but nothing will probably happen the way I think it's gonna happen so I wont bother speculating .... lol :-)

Those dream sequences freak me out..... they're so real & sucks ya in then it's a dream ..... hate them!! lol ... (love them really ...)

Glad to see new and more normal prospects for Ruth (normal on the surface anyway, nothing ever turns out normal in this series...) .... and wonder what Claire is gonna do ..... is Russell gonna suicide making her wanting to have the baby? Hmmm...

Wish it wasnt so close to the season finale cause I'm dying to find out what happens next.....
    "He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how."

FORT Fogey
    My favorite scene was Rico going to the dance classes by himself! He works hard and his wife and sister-in-law don't appreciate him one bit. I hope he hooks up with that random Latina with which he was doing the merengue.

Russell's got one foot in the grave. But it's his own fault. I can't stand when people come to apologize and than get on the offensive. This is exactly what he did to Claire and I'm rooting for her to never give him a second chance. The smartest thing for her to do is get an abortion, give up her art (it and that scene aren't helping her at all) and move to someplace wholesome like Seattle.

Nate...hmmm. I suppose it is scary to think a loved one is missing. But I'm thinking the reason he's really freaking out is that he feels guilty. Follow me on this one. Deep-down, he wants to be rid of Lisa (but not Maya). But the guilt of divorcing her is too strong. The only way would be for her to leave him or, what a horrible thought, if she disappeared. Nate's having a tough time with her disappearance because he feels extra guilty about letting such a thought creep into his mind anyway. Just speculation.

Brenda's the most stable person on the show! When did we ever think that would happen?

I miss Bettina (Kathy Bates) and I hope to see her in the final two episodes.

I dont think we've seen the last of Bettina.... I think she'll be back next season, I hope so at least.... she was a much needed spark in Ruth's life & in 6 feet under in general...

I think you are right about Nate feeling guilty more than anything about Lisa's disappearance. He kissed Brenda & we all know he enjoyed it & They've been circling each other lately.....
    And yeah you're right, the only way out would be if she disappeared... well not the "only" way out but .... it would be one that he wouldnt have to deal with her anymore in the future.
    And it's ugly, but the thought has crossed his mind, he didnt necessarily WANT that to happen but now that it has, it makes him feel extra bad. Poor Nate.

I hope Rico gets out of the situation he's in .... he is such a good guy. I really like him. I"m glad he went out and had fun alone, I dont think he'l necessarily cheat on her YET, but we see it coming .... maybe ...

Looks like Claire is standing her ground with Russell, she's not responsible for whatevr internal problems he is dealing with ... we know he loves her but he can't make that ean excuse for ignoring his own problems ... that he's not facing.

Funny how Olivier turned out to be such a creep. I remember when he first came into Six Feet I liked him a lot, I thought "oh he's a cool guy" and now he's just a creep..... half-creep anyways... I understand what he's trying to do but yeah he's bitter that he didnt make it big & Taking it out on his students somehow.....

FORT Fogey
    I would like to add here that a pivotal point made in this episode was Billy telling his feelings to Brenda. As if things aren't screwed up enough in this family, he now declares his love for her and in typical Brenda fashion she responds, "and what am I supposed to do with that?"

In previous seasons we have had ideas about Brenda and Billy's seemingly incestuous relationship and now it has come into the open, full-blown. I wonder where this will lead? Brenda's true feelings for Nate are overpowering but futile at this point.

When Brenda goes apartment hunting in L.A. and says to the landlady "this is so 'Day of the Locusts'" the response was, "oh, there are no locusts here." I thought that little scene was needed to get us out of the madness for a little while.

I miss Bettina very much too. I hope she does come back. Ruth needs her and we, the audience, need her.
    Last edited by CaliGirl; 05-15-2003 at 06:22 PM.

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    Wow, I don't know why I didn't see the Claire pregnancy thing coming at all!
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

FORT Fogey
    Originally posted by BravoFan
    Wow, I don't know why I didn't see the Claire pregnancy thing coming at all!
    I know, BF. Talk about another fly in the ointment!

What next? I mean there really isn't any hope for the Claire-Russell relationship as far as I can see, and this complication is absolutely the last thing Claire needs to push her over the edge.

I don't think she should have this kid. Maybe it's a mistake, how else can they handle it? An abortion? HBO takes risks, so maybe.

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    Yeah, I bet they go with an abortion storyline too.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

I believe too that they'll go with an abortion story line.... or maybe adoption? Or... I don't know..

I also see that if Nate gets involved with Brenda again, as the situation is right now between Brenda & her brother, it could get pretty dangerous? I mean Billy is so unstabile, he'd probably freak & try to kill Nate or something if he went back to her ...

FORT Fogey
    Originally posted by Wyndemere
    I believe too that they'll go with an abortion story line.... or maybe adoption?
    I wonder how the fact that Claire knows Nate was an unplanned pregnancy will affect her decision. Maybe this will keep Ruth from trying to interfere too much because she obviously knows the joy of having had Nate but also it's what locked her in for life.

I mean Billy is so unstabile, he'd probably freak & try to kill Nate or something if he went back to her...
    Excellent point! On a totally different note, has anyone seen that the actor who plays Billy is starring in a upcoming (maybe it's out already) Friday the 13th-like slasher film? *cough* Typecast *cough*

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast