+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Harry's Law - NBC

To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Regular

Re: Harry's Law - New Show debuts Mon, 1/17 - 10PM - NBC

I liked it. I thought it was a little unrealistic but typical David E Kelly

I love her closing argument speech. She was spot on about how our legal system is broken and how judges only care about getting reelected, lawyers only care about winning and we the people are the losers!

FORT Fogey

Like it. A bit message-laden, but hopefully their just setting the tone of the show.

I love David E. Kelly and Kathy Bates and am as liberal as they come, but this was a little too preachy, even for me. I made me yearn for LA Law and even Ally McBeal, which was still less kooky than this show. It was just too full of caricatures. I might give it another try just because of who's involved, but I wasn't impressed....considering who's involved.

Considering the fact that this show is up against the very successful Castle, if they don't up their game really fast, this show could die a quick death.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I liked it, but I'm already torn on Monday nights with Castle & Hawaii 50 - Probably going to have to catch this one online - as I only can deal with the 2 limit (one watch, one record. I only got to watch this last night because Castle was a rerun.
    No Rain - No Rainbows - Nextel commercial

I liked it. It's got that same Ally McBeal/Boston Legal quirkiness but it has its own style and character too. The first episode of any Kelley series always lays it on thick to establish the offbeat characters and storytelling style. I suspect it will settle down in future episodes and be a smoother ride.

It's in a suicide timeslot though. I hope they move it soon, it'll die fast against H50 and Castle.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

I watched it because I love Kathy Bates and loved David Kelly's shows from the past. I was a huge Ally McBeal fan. I like this show, even though I think it's a bit over the top. I'll keep watching.

The idea of having a lawyer's office and shoe store is great! I love that concept. LOL

I've enjoyed David Kelley for years.
    Can't believe how over the top the show was, even for Mr. Kelley, in just the first 5 minutes.
    It was definitely a bit much on the preachy side, but I agree that he'll probably tone it down in future shows.
    I do hope NBC tries to keep it on a while, until it finds its feet, and maybe considers moving the time slot.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Even though I like the show, they do need to get more technical input. I'm a lawyer, so when things are really off, it bothers me. I felt sorry for Harriett's client and her case. I handled cases like that in the early 1990's. At that time you could make arguments about addiction and needing treatment. Now, nobody cares. They think the defendant should have gotten treatment before he committed the crime. I see her jury didn't buy it either.

And as for the judge. A judge normally does not have the discretion to implement their own sentence. It's done pursuant to a formula in the state law. You calculate the prior convicitons and see what the sentence is supposed to be. Maybe the show won't work if they are too accurate with the details.

I liked it very much. I agree that it was a bit preachy, but I agreed with most of what was being said. Kathy Bates never gives a less than fantastic performance, comedy or drama.

Paul McCrane did a great job as the right-wing D.A. It took me a while to realize he was Dr. Romano in E.R.

Monday's at 10/9 scheduling is a travesty with 3 must watch shows on for me. The only way I solve the dilemma is to watch one, record the other two, and then burn them to a DVD to watch at leisure.
    Last edited by Florimel; 01-19-2011 at 01:43 PM.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast