+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Harry's Law - NBC

Re: Harry's Law - NBC

I like this show, not only for Kathy Bates and supporting cast, but because it's showing our so-called justice system for what it really is, an adversarial system where anything to win goes and right/wrong, guilty/innocent mean little. It's a breath of fresh air among lawyer shows for me.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel;4178110;
    I like this show, not only for Kathy Bates and supporting cast, but because it's showing our so-called justice system for what it really is, an adversarial system where anything to win goes and right/wrong, guilty/innocent mean little. It's a breath of fresh air among lawyer shows for me.
    I'm with you. I like it too. I like the cast and the one-liners. My husband likes it too, as well as my boss.

I don't mind the 'lessons', as I think there's always something to think about, but I love that they are quirky characters admist it all. Unfortunately as good as the system can be it has its downsides as well and this show is portraying that. I like that both Harry and the young lawyer have decided that a paycheck isn't the be all and end all of life. Idealistic? Perhaps, but it's necessary.

And some of my favorites lines: (to there's a rat) Not anymore, you're on dead rat patrol. Also, loved the character being called a parapalegal. That kind of stuff just cracks me up.

I love this show. I was hoping that it would be decent and so far so good.

I'm still watching, or rather, taping, and have no plans to stop. My problem is that that hour has 3 shows that I don't want to miss.
    There ought to be a law against that.
    "Some of us learn from other people's mistakes and the rest of us have to be other people."

I love that last night's episode finally gave Brittany Snow an opportunity to shw her character's back story and flesh her out.
    I do love Christopher MacDonald's over the top attorney.
    Both he and Bates are such terrific actors that they can carry David E. Kelley plotlines that less capable actors would make cartoonish.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet;4183051;
    I'm still watching, or rather, taping, and have no plans to stop. My problem is that that hour has 3 shows that I don't want to miss.
    There ought to be a law against that.
    Yes, and a memo to programming executives. "It is not the wisest choice to put three quality shows up against each other and leave other nights with nothing for your viewership to watch."

I always watch Castle and record Harry's Law and Hawaii Five-0. Then I burn the recordings to DVD and watch when I choose. I use RW DVD's, so I can erase and reuse them.

I don't record Castle because that's the one I'm most likely to purchase once a boxed set comes out.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I think it's gotten better each episode. We are finally beyond the set up and in to the stories.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

Quote Originally Posted by Mariner;4187972;
    I think it's gotten better each episode. We are finally beyond the set up and in to the stories.
    I agree! I've kept watching because I love Kathy Bates and the show has gotten better. It's still a bit too ham-fisted with the preaching, but I'll keep watching. Still, it's not on my must-see list.

The Tommy Jefferson character annoys the hell out of me, but I'm trying to get past it.

The good news for the show, ratings-wise, is that the networks are now looking at DVR statistics. With three popular shows on against each other on Mondays at 10, that's important. Apparently, the reason Parenthood stayed on the air was because it was the most DVR'ed show for a while. Now it's doing much better in the ratings, but the DVR info kept them on the air until the show found a bigger audience. I don't know if they look at OnDemand and online viewing statistics too, but they should.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Actually, the ratings on this show have been very good, in terms of number, even without countng the DVR audience. The problem always comes down to the coveted 18 - 49 viewers who are watching. This show has good numbers overall, bet. 10 - 12 million, but the age group watching is not the one that the advertisers target.
    Nevertheless, it is doing way better than other new NBC shows, so it's almost a guarantee that it will get renewed.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Tommy is a bit annoying, but I loved the pep talk his associate gave him to get him focused. I also really like the Harry/Tommy interactions. I am ready for more Malcolm. He's a great character.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast