+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Golden Globe Awards - 2011

Re: Golden Globe Awards - 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70;4150657;
    I have seen some stories of how the award shows really work. I don't know if if it is all of them or not. It has turned me from them. Supposedly, you have to hire people to get you nominated and then to win. It's a business deal. You have to make deals, provide gifts and attention to those who are in control. It's really like politics and has nothing to do with the real quality of the artist. With this in mind, it's difficult for me to take it seriously anymore. I'll try to find a link for what I saw.
    I really only watched to see Ricky because I find his hosting to be really funny.

But it's painfully obvious that there is much more of a political campaign to get movies on here with some of hte movies popping up or acting. It's not the best. It's just the best marketed.

Not sure if this was mentioned, but I didn't recognize Christina Aguilera. While I am not saying she is overweight in normal standards, she has gained a bit of weight.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos;4150769;
    I really only watched to see Ricky because I find his hosting to be really funny.

But it's painfully obvious that there is much more of a political campaign to get movies on here with some of hte movies popping up or acting. It's not the best. It's just the best marketed.
    I think what some of the industry people are in an uproar about is how brutally honest he was about the "business" aspects of award season.
    Also, I have to say he really said a lot of things that many people are/were thinking. At least for those that I know.

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_angel;4150965;
    I think what some of the industry people are in an uproar about is how brutally honest he was about the "business" aspects of award season.
    Also, I have to say he really said a lot of things that many people are/were thinking. At least for those that I know.
    I think those poor, sensitive celebrities are just used to having their butts kissed all the time. Well, they can go to the Oscars for that.

I read that reps for many celebs have already called the HFPA to complain about Ricky. I'll bet at least two of those calls came from reps for Tom Cruise and John Travolta for the gay Scientologists bit. I thought the people who seemed bitter about his jokes - Robert Downey Jr., I'm looking at you - would have come off MUCH better if they'd shown a sense of humor and just gone with it. Steve Carrell was perfect - he doesn't take himself too seriously. I thought the Tim Allen joke was funny, 'cause really, Home Improvement was a LONG time ago and all he's done since then is pretty much voice work. He's not even in the same galaxy as Tom Hanks.

Inexplicably, Angelina Jolie is on all kinds of best dressed lists for that green thing. I don't get it. I thought it was horrid. I think this is more of the media just sucking up.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I agree her dress was hideous. It looked like something Grandma would wear. Then again, I always think her clothes are pretty horrid. I guess the positive is....it wasn't black!
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

I looked at that dress and thought, "Oh look, she's borrowed a dress from Betty White!" - it was far too matronly for her, and it looked like the material from an old chesterfield from Grandma's parlour.

I didn't like Angelina's dress either, but I did like Anne Hathaway's. I think with the open back and the champagne color, the dress she wore didn't have the same dowdy feel Angelina's did.

The dress that I keep seeing raves over that I really didn't like though was Emma Stone's peach dress. I see it on a number of best-dressed lists, but to me it made her appear so orange that it was difficult to tell where the dress ended and her skin began. Paired with her blond hair, the color palette was just all wrong to me.
    _(Moo!)

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea;4152116;
    I looked at that dress and thought, "Oh look, she's borrowed a dress from Betty White!" - it was far too matronly for her, and it looked like the material from an old chesterfield from Grandma's parlour.
    I actually didn't mind Angelina's dress, but this comment is all sorts of awesome.

Everyone in Hollywood seems to be jumping on the anti-Gervais bandwagon (only positive comment was from Christina Bale, from what I saw). Harvey Weinstein said something about making sure he (Gervais) never worked again. Calm down, people.

I'm surprised no one has really mentioned Natalie Portman's speech where she commented on how her fiance should be up for best actor as he (his character) said the he wouldn't sleep with her (her character) when he totally wanted to sleep with her. I thought that was crass, particularly with her parents in the audience.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL;4152265;
    Everyone in Hollywood seems to be jumping on the anti-Gervais bandwagon (only positive comment was from Christina Bale, from what I saw). Harvey Weinstein said something about making sure he (Gervais) never worked again. Calm down, people.
    Good grief. Weinstein is a jackass and everyone else needs to get over themselves. Al Pacino told reporters he enjoyed the show and I saw little interviews with a number of other people who basically said that Hollywood could stand to be knocked around a bit.

Kathy Griffin has made her career out of making fun of celebrities and it hasn't hurt her any. Yes, she's been banned from some talk shows, but I doubt she cares all that much.

The rumor is that Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes won't be going to the Oscars because Anne Hathaway made fun of Katie on SNL. Really though, was the any reason those two needed to be an the Oscars anyway?
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Kiz

Bruce Willis' reaction to Gervais was classic. I love that the man doesn't take himself too seriously, and can handle a little jab. Introducing Bruce Willis as Ashton Kutcher's dad was very funny.

According to the Daily Mail, Willis' comment on Gervias was, "He was fantastic, he killed it, he did great."
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

+ Reply to Thread