+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Golden Globe Awards - 2011

Re: Golden Globe Awards - 2011

I hadn't noticed until I read the Fug Girls' live blog last night, but Helena Bonham Carter was wearing two different shoes.

I also loved Olivia Wilde's dress, and I liked JLo's too. There were a bunch I did not like: Anne Hathaway, Emma Stone, January Jones, the list goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;4150015;
    I had no clue who Temple Grandin was. Just googled her up - what a fascinating woman. I will make a point to watch the movie when it's repeated on HBO.
    You can rent it from Netflix, if you are interested.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didn’t hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo;4150590;
    You can rent it from Netflix, if you are interested.
    It is an excellent movie about an extraordinary woman. So thrilled Claire Danes won. She was wonderful in it.

I thought the dresses were all pretty nice. For me the only yuck one was the one January Jones (I think) had on. What was that??

Thrilled Colin Firth won. What a great actor, a great performance and a doll.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by thedragonlady;4150180;
    I used to watch the GG and the Oscars religiously but not anymore. When I was younger I was naive enough to believe that the best actor/actress won for that reason. After awhile, I began to realize the award goes to whoever or whatever happens to be the flavor of the month. So because of this, it's lost it's appeal for me.
    I have seen some stories of how the award shows really work. I don't know if if it is all of them or not. It has turned me from them. Supposedly, you have to hire people to get you nominated and then to win. It's a business deal. You have to make deals, provide gifts and attention to those who are in control. It's really like politics and has nothing to do with the real quality of the artist. With this in mind, it's difficult for me to take it seriously anymore. I'll try to find a link for what I saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;4149993;
    She needs to get a sense of humor. I thought it was hilarious. Really though, the fashion people on one the pre-shows were raving about her dress. Frankly, it looks like something Linda Evans wore on Dynasty. Ick.

I didn't see The Tourist or Love and Other Drugs, but I really don't think Annette Bening should have won that. It was a nice performance, but it wasn't earth-shatteringly good. This may be her year for an Oscar because she's lost out a few years when she really deserved it. I was kind of hoping Emma Stone would win. She was terrific in Easy A.

Mark Ruffalo played the sperm donor in The Kids Are Alright. She thanked the actors who played her kids too
    I thought she overacted way to much in that film - i much prefered Moore's performance.
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. :nono

Quote Originally Posted by anders332;4150687;
    I thought she overacted way to much in that film - i much prefered Moore's performance.
    I did too, although I generally prefer Julianne Moore to Annette Bening anyway. I think Annette will probably get all the awards this year - even if she doesn't deserve it - because she should have won the Oscar for American Beauty and probably for Being Julia as well and both times to Hillary Swank.

These awards shows are always a popularity contest with some really deserving winners sprinkled in. I just watch them for fun....and to rip on what everyone is wearing!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I really didn't care at all for Ricky Gervais' hosting.
    Snark is one thing; mean spiritidness, quite another, IMO.
    There are many terrific comedians out there, and those who've hosted awards shows in the past who were funny and snarky, yet didn't produce the level of mean and nasty that he did.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Occasional commenter WrigleyDogA2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;4150709;
    I really didn't care at all for Ricky Gervais' hosting.
    Snark is one thing; mean spiritidness, quite another, IMO.
    There are many terrific comedians out there, and those who've hosted awards shows in the past who were funny and snarky, yet didn't produce the level of mean and nasty that he did.
    The one thing that I do like about Ricky Gervais, as opposed to other hosts, is that he doesn't sound scripted. So many of the hosts just sound like they are reading their que cards and he doesn't come off that way to me.

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;4150694;
    I did too, although I generally prefer Julianne Moore to Annette Bening anyway. I think Annette will probably get all the awards this year - even if she doesn't deserve it - because she should have won the Oscar for American Beauty and probably for Being Julia as well and both times to Hillary Swank.

These awards shows are always a popularity contest with some really deserving winners sprinkled in. I just watch them for fun....and to rip on what everyone is wearing!
    I love Annette Bening and thought she was good in The Kids are Alright but I'm really pulling for Natalie Portman to win the Oscar. She was just amazing in Black Swan and so believable as innocent yet crazy. You didn't know whether you wanted to protect her or send her to the loony bin. I haven't seen a "wow!" performance like that from an actress in a long time. I hate the politics that go along with the awards shows; I wish it was just cut and dry.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

I saw Black Swan and have to agree that Natalie did a terrific job.
    I haven't seen The Kids are All Right, so I can't comment on Annette Benning's performance. I do think, though, that Annette has been very underrated in prior movies and I'm sure she gave a great performance in her latest.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

+ Reply to Thread