+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Golden Globe Awards - 2011

Re: Golden Globe Awards - 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Missyboxers;4150051;
    I read somewhere that her father passed away yesterday.
    Okay, and now I feel like a jerk for saying that

Considering how horrible an interview DeNiro usually is, I thought that speech was pretty good. I know he's very shy, so I'm sure it's hard for him.

I thought January Jones looks fabulous. Not many women could wear that dress, but I thought she pulled it off.

Best Actor in a Comedy/Musical....Will Johnny Depp beat himself? (okay I didn't mean for that to sound dirty! )

The winner is Paul Giamatti in a movie I haven't even heard of.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Awww a shout-out to Canada!

Man, what was in those Godiva chocolates?...or did it just say "Godiva" on the bottle of champagne at the table?

ETA: Best Actress coming up. You know, I've never heard of Frankie and Alice, but I read an article where the writer referred to it as "Frankie and Johnny" and I couldn't figure out what they'd remake that movie so soon.

Natalie Portman wins. That red rose on her dress is frightful. The dress would be gorgeous without it.
    Last edited by Critical; 01-16-2011 at 10:36 PM.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Aww what a moment. Natalie's proud parents. What a tight race it was.

Haven't seen the movie yet, but I need to now even more.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;4150031;
    Can you imagine getting in and out of a limo in that thing?

Oh, Vanessa Williams. Please wear a lighter colored bra when you wear a light dress.

Laura Linney wins Best Actress in a Comedy, but isn't there. I always think they should then lose the award and the second place person should get it!

At some awards show years ago--the Emmys, I think--they assigned Tony Danza as the official "accepter" for all the awards won by people who weren't there. It was supposed to be a joke, but there were a ton of winners who were absent that year, and after a while, Tony started looking embarrassed to be going back up on stage yet again.

Imagine what would happen if one year they decided you had to be present to win...

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Crit, ITA--what is up with that rose? Perhaps she was attacked by a bedazzler on the way in.

And while I'm full of snark, can't Angelina look at least fairly pleasant? She looks like she's sitting on a pile of brambles throughout the night.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_angel;4150098;
    As much as I love Glee, part of me was hoping that Modern Family might have taken it this year.

Also, holy moly at the number of Glee cast members that were there.
    I was glad that the girl who plays Becky, Sue's Cheerios assistant, was there. She looked overjoyed with the win. It was also nice of Ian to recognize high school teachers--without whom, in a lot of ways, that show couldn't possibly exist.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl;4150111;
    And while I'm full of snark, can't Angelina look at least fairly pleasant? She looks like she's sitting on a pile of brambles throughout the night.
    Maybe the early jabs got to her? Or she knew she wasn't going to win? Or... there could be many reasons, but there were/are moments where she was pleasant.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden;4150113;
    I was glad that the girl who plays Becky, Sue's Cheerios assistant, was there. She looked overjoyed with the win. It was also nice of Ian to recognize high school teachers--without whom, in a lot of ways, that show couldn't possibly exist.
    It was nice to see for sure!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl;4150111;
    Crit, ITA--what is up with that rose? Perhaps she was attacked by a bedazzler on the way in.

I thought the rose was too much too. It looked like what designers of bad maternity wear think they have to do to "dress up" a pregnancy outfit.

ITA about Angelina. At one point, they caught her freshening up her lip gloss as well. I know the awards shows are long, but are they long enough for your make-up to require fixing (unless she and Brad were making out to cheer her up after her loss)? Seriously, I think part of the problem is that Angelina isn't exactly bent double by her enormous sense of humor.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_angel;4150116;
    Maybe the early jabs got to her? Or she knew she wasn't going to win? Or... there could be many reasons, but there were/are moments where she was pleasant.

It was nice to see for sure!
    I love Becky's relationship with Sue--and she broke me up playing Max to Sue's Grinch in the Christmas episode.

+ Reply to Thread