+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 108

Thread: Golden Globe Awards - 2011

  1. #21
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    6,788

    Re: Golden Globe Awards - 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by Critical;4149995;
    I'm not entirely sure that Tilda Swinton isn't a bit drunk. It is the Golden Globes, after all!
    Maybe that's why Angelina Jolie was leaning against Brad--perhaps he was propping her up.

  2. #22
    Anarchist AJane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Charming
    Posts
    9,355

    Re: Golden Globe Awards - 2011

    I had no clue who Temple Grandin was. Just googled her up - what a fascinating woman. I will make a point to watch the movie when it's repeated on HBO.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

  3. #23
    Bitten Critical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Fangtasia - The Bar With Bite
    Age
    45
    Posts
    16,733

    Re: Golden Globe Awards - 2011

    Okay, as an aside. They just aired a commercial for that new reality show geared to finding the next great restaurant and their examples are McDonald's, KFC and Chipotle. I LOVE Chipotle, but the other two....well... neither is great cuisine. Is this really what people should be aspiring to? I guess it is if they want to make money.....

    Steve Carrell and Ricky Gervais

    ETA:
    Quote Originally Posted by AJane;4150015;
    I had no clue who Temple Grandin was. Just googled her up - what a fascinating woman. I will make a point to watch the movie when it's repeated on HBO.
    It's definitely worth the time. I wasn't sure I'd be into it, but I was pleasantly surprised.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

    I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

  4. #24
    Bitten Critical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Fangtasia - The Bar With Bite
    Age
    45
    Posts
    16,733

    Re: Golden Globe Awards - 2011

    Wait, who the hell was that they showed during the Best Supporting Actress noms when they said Julia Stiles' name? It wasn't Julia.

    Yay Jane Lynch!

    Sorry, Lea Michelle. This definitely means you won't be winning tonight.

    ETA: Okay clearly these people have no idea who various actors are. They just said showed Jake Gyllenhal and said it was Robert Pattison....
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

    I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

  5. #25
    Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,978

    Re: Golden Globe Awards - 2011

    I'm not a fan of Glee at all, but I'm thrilled Jane Lynch won. She should win for everything she's in (especially "Party Down", RIP).

  6. #26
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    6,788

    Re: Golden Globe Awards - 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by Critical;4150023;
    Wait, who the hell was that they showed during the Best Supporting Actress noms when they said Julia Stiles' name? It wasn't Julia.

    Yay Jane Lynch!

    Sorry, Lea Michelle. This definitely means you won't be winning tonight.

    ETA: Okay clearly these people have no idea who various actors are. They just said showed Jake Gyllenhal and said it was Robert Pattison....
    I'm convinced part of the reason Jane Lynch is generally a popular winner is because she's capable of an amusing acceptance speech. I loved her "I'm nothing if not falsely humble" line.

    I think it's also much harder for a younger actress/actor to win in a lead category, not to mention that in a largely ensemble show like Glee, it's harder for a lead actor/actress to stand out. I never really thought Lea Michelle had a shot at winning regardless of how anyone else from the show did.

    As a total aside, every time I see someone hoist up that award, I think of Shelley Winters' story about how she broke her Golden Globe (let's just say Shelley didn't take infidelity from a spouse well).
    Last edited by Tilden; 01-16-2011 at 09:38 PM. Reason: spelling

  7. #27
    Bitten Critical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Fangtasia - The Bar With Bite
    Age
    45
    Posts
    16,733

    Re: Golden Globe Awards - 2011

    Olivia Wilde's dress is gorgeous. It's huge, but it's absolutely stunning.

    ITA PG, Jane Lynch should just get an award for being awesome.

    ETA:

    Tilden, I agree about older actresses having an edge, especially in the lead actress category, although both Keri Russell and Claire Danes won that category when they were very young.

    I thought if Lea was going to win, it would have been last year. She hasn't really done much this season. IMO, she's out of her league in that category.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

    I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

  8. #28
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    6,788

    Re: Golden Globe Awards - 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by Critical;4150029;
    Olivia Wilde's dress is gorgeous. It's huge, but it's absolutely stunning.

    ITA PG, Jane Lynch should just get an award for being awesome.
    I had the same thought about that dress. It's gorgeous standing still, but I'd hate to have to manage it while moving or sitting. But then, a lot of women's formal wear is like that.

  9. #29
    Bitten Critical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Fangtasia - The Bar With Bite
    Age
    45
    Posts
    16,733

    Re: Golden Globe Awards - 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by Tilden;4150030;
    I had the same thought about that dress. It's gorgeous standing still, but I'd hate to have to manage it while moving or sitting. But then, a lot of women's formal wear is like that.
    Can you imagine getting in and out of a limo in that thing?

    Oh, Vanessa Williams. Please wear a lighter colored bra when you wear a light dress.

    Laura Linney wins Best Actress in a Comedy, but isn't there. I always think they should then lose the award and the second place person should get it!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

    I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

  10. #30
    FORT Regular
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    86

    Re: Golden Globe Awards - 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by Critical;4150018;
    Okay, as an aside. They just aired a commercial for that new reality show geared to finding the next great restaurant and their examples are McDonald's, KFC and Chipotle. I LOVE Chipotle, but the other two....well... neither is great cuisine. Is this really what people should be aspiring to? I guess it is if they want to make money.....

    Steve Carrell and Ricky Gervais

    ETA:
    It's definitely worth the time. I wasn't sure I'd be into it, but I was pleasantly surprised.
    I think it really meant to be the next big idea when it comes to food/fast food. i watched a clip of the show and it was like the shark tank but people were telling them their ideas and many/most were snacks, fast food items. 1 was a vegan menu which didnt seem to sit well with the investors. so that probably why they used those chains as an example.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.