+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Golden Globe Awards - 2011

FORT Fogey

Re: Golden Globe Awards - 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;4149995;
    I'm not entirely sure that Tilda Swinton isn't a bit drunk. It is the Golden Globes, after all!
    Maybe that's why Angelina Jolie was leaning against Brad--perhaps he was propping her up.

I had no clue who Temple Grandin was. Just googled her up - what a fascinating woman. I will make a point to watch the movie when it's repeated on HBO.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Okay, as an aside. They just aired a commercial for that new reality show geared to finding the next great restaurant and their examples are McDonald's, KFC and Chipotle. I LOVE Chipotle, but the other two....well... neither is great cuisine. Is this really what people should be aspiring to? I guess it is if they want to make money.....

Steve Carrell and Ricky Gervais

ETA:
    Quote Originally Posted by AJane;4150015;
    I had no clue who Temple Grandin was. Just googled her up - what a fascinating woman. I will make a point to watch the movie when it's repeated on HBO.
    It's definitely worth the time. I wasn't sure I'd be into it, but I was pleasantly surprised.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Wait, who the hell was that they showed during the Best Supporting Actress noms when they said Julia Stiles' name? It wasn't Julia.

Yay Jane Lynch!

Sorry, Lea Michelle. This definitely means you won't be winning tonight.

ETA: Okay clearly these people have no idea who various actors are. They just said showed Jake Gyllenhal and said it was Robert Pattison....
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

I'm not a fan of Glee at all, but I'm thrilled Jane Lynch won. She should win for everything she's in (especially "Party Down", RIP).

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;4150023;
    Wait, who the hell was that they showed during the Best Supporting Actress noms when they said Julia Stiles' name? It wasn't Julia.

Yay Jane Lynch!

Sorry, Lea Michelle. This definitely means you won't be winning tonight.

ETA: Okay clearly these people have no idea who various actors are. They just said showed Jake Gyllenhal and said it was Robert Pattison....
    I'm convinced part of the reason Jane Lynch is generally a popular winner is because she's capable of an amusing acceptance speech. I loved her "I'm nothing if not falsely humble" line.

I think it's also much harder for a younger actress/actor to win in a lead category, not to mention that in a largely ensemble show like Glee, it's harder for a lead actor/actress to stand out. I never really thought Lea Michelle had a shot at winning regardless of how anyone else from the show did.

As a total aside, every time I see someone hoist up that award, I think of Shelley Winters' story about how she broke her Golden Globe (let's just say Shelley didn't take infidelity from a spouse well).
    Last edited by Tilden; 01-16-2011 at 09:38 PM. Reason: spelling

Olivia Wilde's dress is gorgeous. It's huge, but it's absolutely stunning.

ITA PG, Jane Lynch should just get an award for being awesome.

ETA:

Tilden, I agree about older actresses having an edge, especially in the lead actress category, although both Keri Russell and Claire Danes won that category when they were very young.

I thought if Lea was going to win, it would have been last year. She hasn't really done much this season. IMO, she's out of her league in that category.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;4150029;
    Olivia Wilde's dress is gorgeous. It's huge, but it's absolutely stunning.

ITA PG, Jane Lynch should just get an award for being awesome.
    I had the same thought about that dress. It's gorgeous standing still, but I'd hate to have to manage it while moving or sitting. But then, a lot of women's formal wear is like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden;4150030;
    I had the same thought about that dress. It's gorgeous standing still, but I'd hate to have to manage it while moving or sitting. But then, a lot of women's formal wear is like that.
    Can you imagine getting in and out of a limo in that thing?

Oh, Vanessa Williams. Please wear a lighter colored bra when you wear a light dress.

Laura Linney wins Best Actress in a Comedy, but isn't there. I always think they should then lose the award and the second place person should get it!

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;4150018;
    Okay, as an aside. They just aired a commercial for that new reality show geared to finding the next great restaurant and their examples are McDonald's, KFC and Chipotle. I LOVE Chipotle, but the other two....well... neither is great cuisine. Is this really what people should be aspiring to? I guess it is if they want to make money.....

Steve Carrell and Ricky Gervais

ETA:
    It's definitely worth the time. I wasn't sure I'd be into it, but I was pleasantly surprised.
    I think it really meant to be the next big idea when it comes to food/fast food. i watched a clip of the show and it was like the shark tank but people were telling them their ideas and many/most were snacks, fast food items. 1 was a vegan menu which didnt seem to sit well with the investors. so that probably why they used those chains as an example.

+ Reply to Thread