+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Golden Globe Awards - 2011

FORT Fogey

Re: Golden Globe Awards - 2011

I loved Gervais and thought he did a fantastic job. He is one of the best hosts on any award show to date.

Ann Hathaway is an actress and doing her job, Tom and Katie, just like both of you do in movies. This could be a rumor though.

Politics are involved in the fashion critiques, for sure. I always think Angelina looks matronly; it is her thing to go against the norm. I don't much care for her or her husband.

Steve Carell is really a stand out. Witty, confident and skilled. Love the guy.

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

This whole Hollywood Golden Globe crowd being annoyed / insulted at Gervais' biting / snarky comedic host behavior totally reminds probably one of the worse reality shows in history "Are You Hot?". The whole premise of the show was for "beautiful" people to trot themselves out before a panel of judges who would then judge how "hot" they were, or weren't. Some of them who had long thought themselves to be the bees knees, were, upon the judges telling them there weren't all that hot, shocked and appalled, some of them storming offstage in tears. Hilarious stuff. Same idea here. These, uptight Hollywood types who think they're all that, who are used to being worshiped by the a$$ kissing media who are afraid to tell these mostly superficial people they anything other than beautiful. God forbid they piss off the likes of Angelina, Brad et al. This is why when someone dare step on their toes by *GASP* implying they're not all that, or as hot as they think they are, they get their granny panties in a twist. Hollywood needs to lighten the hell up already.

I was tickled to death that Gervais had them all squirming in their seats. Give me more!

And yes, Angelina's dress was hideous. And yes, it did look like something Betty White or one of the Golden Girls would have worn back in the '80's, '90's. Sure as heck has no busines being on anyone's best dressed list. Mr. Blackwell would surely roll over in his grave if he knew some of the "fashion" being passed off as "best dressed" these days.
    Last edited by bee stung lips; 01-18-2011 at 04:53 PM.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

CCL

Glad to hear some celebrities have a sense of humour (I did like Willis's smirk at Gervais's introduction during the show).

I did hear that about Hathaway and Katie Holmes/Tom Cruise. Something about how they were friends with Hathaway and were hurt when she did a skit as Katie on SNL. I never knew they were friends, anyways. I guess they're not now.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Anne Hathaway apparently has said she was a big fan of Dawson's Creek and her impression was really of Joey Potter vs. Katie. Still, get a sense of humor! All these people who take themselves to seriously just end up looking like jerks.

Apparently the only comedian who's allowed to ruthless mock celebs to their faces is Don Rickles.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I guess the celebs in such an uproar can't handle the truth. "You want the truth? You can't handle the truth!"

Part of the reason Angelina made it on the best dressed lists, I'd imagine is because she wasn't wearing black. Also, I think like everyone else has mentioned, there wasn't a whole lot of "bests" to choose from.

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_angel;4152899;
    I guess the celebs in such an uproar can't handle the truth. "You want the truth? You can't handle the truth!"
    I think so many of them are surrounded by people kissing their butts and telling them how great they are that they start to believe their own hype.

Part of the reason Angelina made it on the best dressed lists, I'd imagine is because she wasn't wearing black. Also, I think like everyone else has mentioned, there wasn't a whole lot of "bests" to choose from.
    I didn't think there were a huge number of total misses, but there we a lot of "mehs" for me. Many of those were just the wrong color. The dress was right, but it wasn't the right color for the actress.

Honestly, I wish these fashion commentators would just leave Helena Bonham Carter alone. She's a great actress, but she's an unusual person with her own sense of style. She's just an easy target. They fawn over Angelina Jolie (no matter what she wears) and then bash HBC and call it a day.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Personally, I found Ricky Gervais hilarious. People need to be able to laugh at themselves. Celebrities, these days, are not role models. I would never let my kids look up to these fake, superficial people. Maybe these celebs wouldn't get angry if they just stopped having awards ceremonies every single week and noone gave a crap. Ooooh what's she wearing, who designed that? Who cares. I can't wait til the day when all these stars are replaced by normal, everyday people for entertainment. Thank goodness for the internet!
    Adversity reveals genius. -Horace

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Gervais was hired, in part, to "have a go at the A-listers."

YouTube - Ricky Gervais talks about the Golden Globes (GMTV, 12.01.10) - InterviewsOfInterest

Additionally, his full monologue was viewed/recorded at rehearsal. You don't hire a comic like Ricky Gervais unless you want biting humor, delivered with a self-deprecating attitude. I don't think he was over the top at all, and I found his monologue to be really funny. Here's the whole thing:

YouTube - Golden Globes 2011 - Ricky Gervais Opening Monologue

These people really do need to get over themselves. For some of them, though, that would be a very tall order.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields;4152990;
    That video was from a year ago, right before he hosted for the first time. Not that that isn't why he was hired this year as well, but you can tell this is older since he's much heavier here.

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;4152951;

Honestly, I wish these fashion commentators would just leave Helena Bonham Carter alone. She's a great actress, but she's an unusual person with her own sense of style. She's just an easy target. They fawn over Angelina Jolie (no matter what she wears) and then bash HBC and call it a day.
    I love Helena Bonham Carter, wacky dress sense and all. She has (had) a fashion line, which I find amusing. I wonder if it is (was) successful.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

+ Reply to Thread