+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Off the Map (ABC)

Off the Map (ABC)

Executive producers Shonda Rhimes and Betsy Beers (Grey's Anatomy, Private Practice) and creator Jenna Bans (Grey's Anatomy) bring to viewers an uplifting medical drama that explores how far one has to go in order to truly heal.

Welcome to "la ciudad de las estrellas" (the city of stars), a tiny town in the South American jungle which has one understaffed, under-stocked medical clinic. That's where idealistic young Dr. Lily Brenner just landed, along with fellow doctors Mina Minard and Tommy Fuller. All of these young doctors are running away from personal demons, but they aren't the only ones with emotional baggage. Take the legendary and enigmatic Ben Keeton, who was the youngest Chief of Surgery at UCLA. He walked away from it all to found the clinic. Together with his right-hand doctor, Otis Cole, the mysterious Dr. Ryan Clark and local doctor Zita Alvarez, he'll teach the newcomers how to save lives in the most challenging environment they've ever worked in—while taking them on adventures of a lifetime.

In this ensemble drama, six doctors who have lost their way will go to the ends of the earth to try to remember the reasons why they wanted to become doctors in the first place.

Off the Map stars Jonathan Castellanos as Charlie, Valerie Cruz as Zitajalehrena Alvarez (Zee), Caroline Dhavernas as Lily Brenner, Jason George as Otis Cole, Zach Gilford as Tommy Fuller, Mamie Gummer as Mina Minard, Martin Henderson as Ben Keeton and Rachelle Lefevre as Ryan Clark.
    The show starts tonight, so I thought we should get a thread posted.

Is anyone else planning to watch? I'm definitely planning on tuning in. I really like Mamie Gummer and Rachelle Lefevre and I've had a raging crush on Martin Henderson since I saw him in Bride and Prejudice. With Shonda Rhimes at the helm, this should be a good one!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Re: Off the Map (ABC)

I've been looking forward to this and am going to watch. The previews kind of remind me of when Carter & Kovack were in Africa on ER...
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

I watched and I liked it. Was surprised to see how much "Lenny" from Laverne and Shirley has aged. I can't watch this show with my husband, though. He pointed out all the medical errors they made. He's a paramedic/firefighter and he drives me nuts when we watch medical shows together, or anything to do with the military (he served in the Navy for 8 years). But I liked it.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didn’t hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

I thought this one had a good start last night. Laid some interesting ground work into the character's back ground. I missed a bit of it at the start while cooking dinner so have a question. When the blonde came back from the airport and was trying to get the head doctor (lol don't remember names yet) to go to bed with her she said to him... "you have to forget about her, she is gone". Who were they referring to? Had he been married before or in love with someone that had either left or died?
    Choices are the hinges of destiny.

Quote Originally Posted by deedreamer;4146858;
    I thought this one had a good start last night. Laid some interesting ground work into the character's back ground. I missed a bit of it at the start while cooking dinner so have a question. When the blonde came back from the airport and was trying to get the head doctor (lol don't remember names yet) to go to bed with her she said to him... "you have to forget about her, she is gone". Who were they referring to? Had he been married before or in love with someone that had either left or died?
    I'm not sure the redhead (who is the original Victoria from the Twilight movies) wanted him to go to bed with her. Maybe they share a room? Because of what she said and the song playing in the background (something about sisters and brothers) I get the impression that she's his sister and maybe there for support because his girl left him. I could be way off, but I really think she's his sister.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didn’t hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

I'm considering watching this show this weekend On Demand. I hope it's good. I like the premise.

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo;4147003;
    I'm not sure the redhead (who is the original Victoria from the Twilight movies) wanted him to go to bed with her. Maybe they share a room? Because of what she said and the song playing in the background (something about sisters and brothers) I get the impression that she's his sister and maybe there for support because his girl left him. I could be way off, but I really think she's his sister.
    The characters have different last names, so I don't think they're siblings. I got the feeling that the woman he loved left him or died and Ryan was the woman he was sleeping with afterwards. Maybe she hoped it would turn into more, but he's still hung up on the other woman, so Ryan left out of frustration. That's just speculation, of course.

I enjoyed it, although there were some big cliches - the doctor convincing that man to let him treat the children, even though the man didn't speak English, so didn't understand that whole heartfelt speech about losing his family stands out. Still, I think there's potential. The arm stuck in the zipline and the sting ray spine through the foot left me feeling a bit queasy, I'll admit. It's probably a good idea that I nixed the idea of medical school!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;4147355;
    The arm stuck in the zipline and the sting ray spine through the foot left me feeling a bit queasy, I'll admit. It's probably a good idea that I nixed the idea of medical school!
    I hear ya! While watching medical dramas like Grey's Anatomy I spend half the time looking away from the television set.

CCL

She (the redhead) asked him (the main doc) if he was coming to bed. Which, to me at least, meant her bed so...I thought they were setting up a thing for him and Caroline Dhavernas (the new dark-haired doctor). I still think that. They've both lost someone (her - fiancee; him - ?) and they seemed to have them together quite a bit last night. Maybe they will have a triangle with the redhead as the third party. The other two new docs may end up together, too, especially as she said she wouldn't sleep with him if he was the last man on earth....which just makes me think that pairing is going to happen sooner or later. And then the black doctor who was already on-site and the Spanish doctor already on-site....I've paired everyone off and I'm done!
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I found it exhausting (literally fell asleep twice while trying to watch it through from my DVR) to watch them Set.It.Up. The characters, the setting, the conflicts, etc. It all felt so constructed and contrived. Shonda is a One Hit Wonder, there I said it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast