+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 94 FirstFirst ... 17181920212223242526272829303132333435363777 ... LastLast
Like Tree488Likes

Thread: The Walking Dead (AMC)

Re: The Walking Dead (AMC)

This show just keeps getting worse. And from the looks of it, it seems that we've reached the point in the series, just like in the comics, where Rick has gone so psychotic that even the most minor hint of a threat will cause him to kill that person. In a recent issue of the comics, they found a community of people, and when one of them came along as violent, Rick killed him without batting an eye, and when everybody in the community was shocked, he looked at them casually, just slightly confused, and asked "What?". Yeah, it's just plain bad and the show's going that way fast.

It's ironic when Lori, the worst character in season 2, has become likeable while Rick goes low on it. Then there's Carl, too. In anything horror, the death of a child upsets me and shocks me. But honestly, I would not mind if Carl got munched up or anything, because he's the most irritating character in the show. He's every "Annoying Little Brat" cliche rolled up into one annoying little jerk.
    cablejockey likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rembrant View Post
    This show just keeps getting worse. And from the looks of it, it seems that we've reached the point in the series, just like in the comics, where Rick has gone so psychotic that even the most minor hint of a threat will cause him to kill that person. In a recent issue of the comics, they found a community of people, and when one of them came along as violent, Rick killed him without batting an eye, and when everybody in the community was shocked, he looked at them casually, just slightly confused, and asked "What?". Yeah, it's just plain bad and the show's going that way fast.

It's ironic when Lori, the worst character in season 2, has become likeable while Rick goes low on it.
    I would have to respectfully disagree. Rick & Crew made it very clear with each other that at the first sign of trouble the inmates were toast. I find Rick's found his backbone and is the leader of the group. In the comics, he may very well go down the mental breakdown path, but I'm not seeing it on the show.

I also don't think Lori's character has grown in my ability to tolerate her. I'm more thankful they're showing her less
    mesachick likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_angel View Post
    I would have to respectfully disagree. Rick & Crew made it very clear with each other that at the first sign of trouble the inmates were toast. I find Rick's found his backbone and is the leader of the group. In the comics, he may very well go down the mental breakdown path, but I'm not seeing it on the show.
    It was not as much Tomas's murder that bothered me, it was Andrew's. In the comic, something similar happened during in prison. While escaping a group of zombies, Rick saved a problematic inmate's life (named Dexter, doesn't appear in the show), and the inmate made it clear that Rick should not have saved him because he'll keep going after Rick. First chance he got, Rick waited till everybody was out of sight and shot the inmate in the back of the head. After that, it took a long time for Rick to become pretty much emotionless and willing to kill anything in sight.

As I said here, I can understand Rick killing Tomas, because Tomas repeatedly attempted to get Rick killed and it was clear he'd keep doing it. But Andrew's murder was pushing it. Yeah, he ran away, and it's understandable why Rick would chase him, Andrew could become a threat if left alone and uncheecked. But why leave him to die instead of apprehending him? Why so eager to want to kill Axel and Oscar who have caused no trouble? Did the encounter with those people in town last season really drive the guys to the point of wanting to kill every stranger they meet, or is it the fact that these folks are inmates? It's just annoying.

As for the inmates, Oscar seems cool so far, and it was a shame Big Tiny was killed, he came accross as likeable. Axel does not look at all like his comic book counterpart, but he's one of the most popular and well liked characters in the entire run of the comics so far, so I wonder how the tv show counterpart will be like.

Quote Originally Posted by Rembrant
    But Andrew's murder was pushing it. Yeah, he ran away, and it's understandable why Rick would chase him, Andrew could become a threat if left alone and uncheecked. But why leave him to die instead of apprehending him?
    But what would they do with him? Keep him locked in a cell somewhere, feed him and babysit him for the duration? I wouldn't want to waste the time nor the manpower to do it. They have more pressing matters to deal with. If Andrew wanted to cause trouble, I'd shove his butt outside and let him fend for himself, too...Rick has vowed to protect his little group, be it from walkers or sketchy humans. Their world has gone to s***, so I can't blame him for not thinking twice.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

I thought there were shades of Shane in Rick even in the season 2 finale but so far, if Andrew is the prisoner who ran away, that did shock me a little but not sure I dislike him for it. He already knew the safest way to play it was to kill them all, right off; Lori basically gave her blessing. And after setting those guys free, taking on the risk of clearing another cellblock for them and saving their butts when they tried to street fight the zombies, the thanks he gets is the "leader" trying to push him into zombies?

Am I the only one who had a start when Lori was giving Herschel CPR and he revived?! Holy smokes, I was waiting to see her come up with her face chewed off. Felt bad for Carl, when she snapped at him when he was trying to help the group and he definitely did but I also understood the mother in her. Really kinda hated that scene with Rick, not a fan of Lori but that was pretty harsh. Seemed ok at first, then more clear that he was being...courteous? But that "we" appreciate it or whatever he said. Like, she's separate from the group and that includes him. :-(

I haven't read the comics and am trying to keep away from spoilers...is it ok to ask for spoiler tags if people are pulling things in from either of those? (And I know that what happens in the comics isn't always gonna happen on the show - I have had people tell me quite a few things already that are different - but it could happen.) If this has been addressed, sorry to bring it up, I just already hear too much at work because I have to wait a day to see the episodes on Amazon. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by wannasee View Post
    I haven't read the comics and am trying to keep away from spoilers...is it ok to ask for spoiler tags if people are pulling things in from either of those? (And I know that what happens in the comics isn't always gonna happen on the show - I have had people tell me quite a few things already that are different - but it could happen.) If this has been addressed, sorry to bring it up, I just already hear too much at work because I have to wait a day to see the episodes on Amazon. Thanks!
    We require for spoiler tags when it's about something that hasn't happened on the show yet, but not with a discussion of the differences between the books and show with the action that's already happened
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I am loving the show so far this season. I didn't read the comics either, and that might be a good thing from what I've been reading. No real expectations for it to follow a certain plot line, plus everything that happens is all a surprise for me. For someone who hasn't read the comic books - the show is pretty darn phenomenal and remains one of my favorite shows to watch.
    football_chick likes this.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    We require for spoiler tags when it's about something that hasn't happened on the show yet, but not with a discussion of the differences between the books and show with the action that's already happened
    Thanks for clarifying, I guess I can't always tell when things are supposed to have happened or if they are still to come. Definitely have to rewatch the episodes a time or two, I feel like I'm missing things!

Rick has nothing on the Governor. That guy's a real peach. "Found" all our weapons, indeed.

I actually hated to see Michonne take out her pets like that...but what was up with all the floating heads at the end? Experiments? Yeesh. And good to see that Merle is still a turd. Never liked him, still don't like him.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Yeah, what was up with killing all the military guys? A control thing? Why are all the Governor's flunkies afraid of him? And why was the Governor so interested in Darryl?

I figured the floating heads were experiments, too. I assumed science-guy flunky was trying to figure out why everyone turns into a walker after death, even if they aren't bitten. I noticed the military guy's head still looked human.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread