+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 111 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272868 ... LastLast
Like Tree660Likes

Thread: The Walking Dead (AMC)

Re: The Walking Dead (AMC)

First some random thoughts then serious expansion and more thoughts in the spoilers:

A) The actors playing Daryl and Shane are incredible! I am so conflicted about them and often get goosebumps just seeing them on-screen. What amazing talents--I actually spend time thinking about fictional folks and worrying about their futures and inner struggles. That's wicked.

B) Lori, on the other hand, is a sorry character and pitiful actress. If you ever catch twitter trends or most message boards everyone just freaking hates her sorry butt (and I don't think this is necessarily what the writers/creators intended) and wants her to fall off a cliff. Actually, this is a huge short-coming on the show for me because I can't imagine that a character as animalistic and ruthlessly rational as Shane would be love sick over such a moron. And her endless string of stupid decisions (hey, let me jump in a car and go rescue the guys because I have zero combat skills to contribute, oh my!-a dead dude in the street-let me swerve off the road to avoid hitting him or the nonexistent traffic, my husband has been dead for a hot 14 minutes-let me screw his best buddy in the woods while NO ONE watches my son, and speaking of the soon to be sociopath Carl-do you ever know where your kid is) would make her unattractive even in a post-apocalyptic world...not to mention her chances of survival would really be slim to none. In fact, realistically, Carl and Lori should have been eaten weeks ago.

C) Dale was getting on my nerves and I need more screen time for T-Dog and Daryl anyhow. A lot of folks have commented that he was like "Piggy" from LoftheF but I actually loved Piggy and as for Dale...eh, whatever.

Again, FYI, these are serious spoilers/thoughts that pertain to huge events:
    Click to see Spoiler:

1-Dale had to die or wander off because when the shows director/producer/head dude/whatever left after the first season Dale didn't like it and asked to leave. Apparently things got better (can they really be that bad when you get to work on a set of a freakin zombie apocalypse?!?) and he wanted to stay but they had already ended his contract and he had to become zombie carnage.

2-Shane is reportedly dying at the end of this season. Now, all the spoilers could be a red herring and he may just roam off to hang out by himself long-term, but either way he is going to do a new show. The leading spoiler for Shane is that Rick kills him as they struggle (and Im guessing Lori has something to do with it ). I know a lot of folks hate Shane but I think he is an incredibly dynamic, interesting character played by a phenomenal actor. Further, I feel like they have purposely made Shane a bit over-the-top crazy this season to justify Rick's murder when it comes along. This is a huge shame and can only be redeemed if Daryl gets more screen-time.

3- In the comics Lori bites the dust--PLEASE LET THAT HAPPEN SOON!

4-There is a good chance that the doctor at the CDC told Rick that they were all infected with the virus that causes zombieism as Rick and co. were escaping. In the comics everyone is infected with the virus and if you die you turn into a walker (unless you die from a massive brain injury) even if you haven't had any contact with a zombie. Also, in the Talking Dead they revealed that the title "The Walking Dead" actually refers to the living folks--not the walkers. Does that make your brain go WHOA! or what ...how's that for awesome symbolism and thought-provoking subject matter?

So, I think that is just about everything. Feel free to PM or respond..I LOVE this show!
    Last edited by mindy384; 03-05-2012 at 03:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Did anyone see the story a few days ago about the HUGE spoiler accidentally leaked by AMC? In the details of the DVD listing on AMC's site, they may have given away a big spoiler.
    I hope it was just someone's screw-up, I'll be disappointed if it's true.

And I totally agree about Carl. WTF is Lori "I just parrot whatever Rick says" doing that she can't keep track of her kid? He had plenty of time on his hands to wander off, rifle through Daryl's stuff, and damn near get eaten by a zombie he wanted to play with. Not too bright.

I won't miss Dale, though. I know he had fans here, and he represented all that was good and civil in the old world, but he drove me nuts. It was only a matter of time before the new world ate him up...but I didn't think it would be so literal.
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

I thought Dale would be a bigger part of the show, so I was very surprised. The after show said something I liked, that whatever humanity that was left in the group was eviserated (spelling?) along with Dale.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Wow, those are HUGE spoilers! I've got to start reading those comics.

My husband & I complained thru the whole show last night that Lori was the worst mom ever. Also not sad about Dale. I'm all about Darryl now. He's the one I would want on my side - forget about Rick.
    waywyrd likes this.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Carl has turned into one creepy kid! I'm not happy that I keep hearing
    Click to see Spoiler:
    my Shane is biting the dust, I love me some Shane (shirtless is better)!
    Lori, yawn, she gets eaten you say? It can't happen too soon, she's a moron. By the way, we were talking at work about Dale getting his gut ripped out by the dead guy, do zombies rip people apart or just bite & chew? Hmmm
    Last edited by PhoneGrrrl; 03-06-2012 at 12:07 AM.
    "The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

Mindy regarding your first point in your spoilers.

Click to see Spoiler:
    Everything I've read has said it's the actor who portrays Shane that was the one who wasn't happy with the behind the scenes changes. He's even signed on for a new role already (which lends to the major spoilers being accurate).

Quote Originally Posted by Rembrant View Post
    I despise Carl. I despise him in this show, and I despise him a huge deal more in the comic book (which I read at the comic book shop I frequent but don't buy). And now I read hat it's because of him that my favorite character gets killed? Ugh! This is like the only time I actively wish for a kid's death in a horror movie/show, and it makes me feel rotten, but I can't help myself. Gosh, I don't know what Robert Kirkman is doing, but this show has been on a huge downhill road since the finale of season 1 and it's just not picking back up.
    Oh gosh, I felt the same way! I was hoping that zombie would get Carl, and then I felt guilty for wishing death on a child. They really need to give Carl chores to do that will keep him busy and under someone's eye. There are zombies all over those woods, and his parents just let him walk around unsupervised.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

DeMunn was widely speculated (and later confirmed by Ausiello) to be the one who asked to be let go due to the Darabont chucking. And then "he" was eaten by a super-stealth zombie who was still hungry though there was plenty of cow left.

So Carl is super-creepy, Lori is useless and just wants to do what her husband wants her to and wash clothes, so what does this say about Rick? In the first episodes of the first season, Rick was tossed into a wildly new world and was kind of the viewers' entry point into life post-ZA. He was trying to survive and find people and chanced upon his family. Now that we've gotten to know him, he's got an overly dramatic but basically un-resourceful and idiotic wife, a kid who is not minded (by him or Lori) and creepy as all get-out, and he couldn't even shoot Dale to put him out of his misery (or prevent the creation of a walker that would be a threat).

But maybe DeMunn was right. ER worked for so many years (to a point, before they started re-hashing plots) because we still had it through the eyes of Dr. Carter, the newbie on the first episode. Mad Men still works because we're still seeing Peggy's evolution in the 60s (first ep was her first day). This is just past the half-way point on the second season (with a short first season) and the viewers' entrance character has devolved into one I wouldn't miss. Give me more Glen & Daryl. And maybe T-Dog; who knows what that guy is up to since they rarely toss him a line.
    mindy384 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl View Post
    DeMunn was widely speculated (and later confirmed by Ausiello) to be the one who asked to be let go due to the Darabont chucking. And then "he" was eaten by a super-stealth zombie who was still hungry though there was plenty of cow left.
    Thank you for the clarification. I was so sure it was the other one.

I find that, as many of you have stated, that there are too many unlikeable/unwanted characters that are receiving far too much focus. There are other characters who I think would provide much more interest. I truly believe that if Rick wasn't saddled with his family he would be better too!

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl View Post
    Give me more Glen & Daryl. And maybe T-Dog; who knows what that guy is up to since they rarely toss him a line.
    That made me LOL.

+ Reply to Thread