+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 118 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202161111 ... LastLast
Like Tree720Likes

Thread: The Walking Dead (AMC)

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Re: The Walking Dead (AMC)

I read so many good things about the S2 opener, and after watching it, I might just have some Sunday night time to clear on my DVR. The cleverness of the first couple or so episodes of the first season is gone. Remember when Glenn had lines and was crafty? Or when T-dog did more than just stand around bleeding? Or Dale did more than channel the grandfather from "The Lost Boys"? (Okay, maybe he never did.) Then they lay on thick the "child in danger" emotional manipulation crap. That just shuts me down, as it is totally lazy writing. That, plus the Rick-Laurie-Shane thing just smacks of some Lifetime Television For Women two hour drama. I'll give it another week to recover from the Frank Darabont departure, but if this show doesn't come back with some actual non-lazy plot and actual horror/gore (not the sloppy sound effects and off-camera stuff), I will be seriously disappointed in AMC.

Quote Originally Posted by buglover View Post
    Last season the zombies were afraid to cross water. Toward the end, they figured out it was safe for them and crossed. I think they evolve as time goes by. They certainly seem smarter. Let's hope they don't figure out how to shoot guns!!
    There was one book I read that had that in the storyline. The zombies would "learn" things on the way.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

After anticipating the new season for so long, I feel AMC let me down. I understand it's a zombie apocalypse, not Masterpiece Theatre, but the writing doesn't need to be that bad. I felt sorry in particular for the actors playing Laurie, Dale, & Glenn. Oh, and Rick's monologue to Jesus - my husband actually starting swearing in frustration at the TV.

The one good thing was the commercial for the new updated version of House of the Dead/Overkill. My husband said now he knows what to get me for my birthday. Not as good as a completely new HOTD game would be (kind of like getting the iPhone 4S when what you really wished for was an iPhone 5) but it will probably be more entertaining than this season of TWD.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

AJane, I think I might have to pick up that new HOTD - it would be more entertaining. I found myself wandering off last night to do other things while the show was on. The only thing I found interesting was the very beginning, when we found out it was Shane's goof that got Rick shot.

Then it went downhill from there.

I'm thinking the little girl took off on her own, away from these dingbats.
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

I was watching Talking Dead after the show last night and they showed a sneak peek at the next episode where it looks like
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Carl passes away.
    I agree this season seems to be off to a rocky start but I do appreciate the fact that they are really trying to give each character a story and not just kill a bunch of walkers each week.
    Yup, with donuts!!

They appear to be trying to hard to appeal to everyone, meaning women, and are going to lose everyone as a result. No one likes cheap and easy writing. There are plenty of women who like zombies and horror. There are many who don't, but they aren't going to watch this show for the soap opera drama if they don't like zombies and gore anyway. Cut it out with the crappy chick flick lifetime movie stuff PLEASEEEEE.

How dumb are these people anyway? They know they can't use guns because of the noise, but they haven't figured out they should carry an axe or a bat in some kind of holster or sheath at all times? A long pointy stick? There was a lawn care truck in the back ground clearly visible on the freeway but no one grabbed the great weapons on there? The shovel, hoe, sycthe, hedge clippers? They haven't trained the kids, or even the adults ( that lame woman whose daughter ran away ) to be silent at all costs? They are worried about running out of gas with all those cars sitting right there? and yes yes yes to why are they driving that stupid camper and run down SUV thing when the keys are in all the abandoned cars and they could find something much better? Clearly there will be many RV's on the road from people trying to get away, they can't find one newer one they could take instead? Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Sheesh, they seriously need me as an advisor
    Last edited by Duckyface; 10-24-2011 at 07:05 PM.
    PIMguy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by buglover View Post
    I was watching Talking Dead after the show last night and they showed a sneak peek at the next episode where it looks like
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Carl passes away.
    I agree this season seems to be off to a rocky start but I do appreciate the fact that they are really trying to give each character a story and not just kill a bunch of walkers each week.
    I agree. I told my husband if it were all zombie attacks we'd be cheering the dead on, not the survivors. We've all seen movies like that were you could care less about the main characters (Friday the 13ths anyone??) Getting to know their characters lets me empathize with them, think of how I would handle things if I were them. Do I want a bit more zombie gore and attacks? Yes, but I don't mind how it is going so far. You do get caught up in the story and bam there is a walker... like last night. It took me a minute to even realize what was happening. And it looks like next week we are going to see alot of zombies.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

It's official - we're getting a 3rd season: AMC renews The Walking Dead for season 3 - HitFix.com

I'm actually enjoying this season and the character development that's coming from them NOT being chased by zombies for an entire hour. That might work for a movie, but for a TV show, I want to get to know more about the characters than how fast they can run and how good they are with a crossbow. I haven't read the graphic novels and normally don't like the horror genre, but I like this show. Maybe I have lower expectations than more hard core fans of the genre

ITA about the ditching RV. Obviously, common sense doesn't reign with these people. Of course, we're all at home on our couches, so it's easy to see exactly what they should all be doing!
    PGM35 likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I surely don't mind character development and conflict. I actually loved seeing how Shawn and Rick came together so strongly and it appeared to mend things between them a little, while Rick's son was hurt. You need characters you care about, especially as this is a series and not a movie.

What I object to is the lazy and bad writing. The low standards of their attempts to manipulate us. When I say Life Time Movie channel material, I mean badly written, badly acted, surface of a person only shown. I don't mind character development or relationships with depth of writing. They seem to be taking the easy "lifetime" approach to these things. I don't mind being manipulated a little, but at least buy me dinner first and don't insult my intelligence.

Along with making them all appear really stupid! I don't know if I can make it through another week of yelling at them about all the stupid things they are doing in regards to defending themselves, taking care of their children, transportation, etc.

My teenage son and I have watched this show from the beginning, but for some reason I just don't love it. After the second episode of the new season we were talking about what had happened and I realized we were referring to the characters as "the old guy", "the sheriff", "the blonde woman"...my investment is clearly not strong if I don't know the characters names when I am more than a full season into a show. I'm not sure what it is about these characters that just doesn't connect for me. I'll keep watching, but mostly because my son wants to.

+ Reply to Thread