+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 87 123456789101151 ... LastLast
Like Tree169Likes

Thread: Game of Thrones on HBO

Game of Thrones on HBO

Martin's Seven Kingdoms resemble England during the Wars of the Roses, with the Stark and Lannister families standing in for the Yorks and Lancasters. The story of these two families and their struggle to control the Iron Throne dominates the foreground; in the background is a huge, ancient wall marking the northern border, beyond which barbarians, ice vampires, and direwolves menace the south as years-long winter advances. Abroad, a dragon princess lives among horse nomads and dreams of fiery reconquest.

Will you watch?? From what I gather the book series hasn't even been finished yet. I really enjoyed the more recent mini-series of Pilllars of the Earth and the period dramas like Rome and The Tudors but I'm absolutely hated anything Lord of the Rings releated. I'm thinking this is not a series for me. How about you?
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Occasional commenter WrigleyDogA2's Avatar

Re: Game of Thrones on HBO

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy;4120803;
    Will you watch?? From what I gather the book series hasn't even been finished yet. I really enjoyed the more recent mini-series of Pilllars of the Earth and the period dramas like Rome and The Tudors but I'm absolutely hated anything Lord of the Rings releated. I'm thinking this is not a series for me. How about you?
    Correct, the book series is not finished yet. But there are 4 books written and each is around 1000 pages, so they have plenty of material for a while.

I, for one, love the book series and though I don't have HBO would watch if I could.

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

looks great to me.. i will have to read up on it and see when it starts to set my dvr!
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

A Game of Thrones is a book that managed to completely draw me in by page 5. I even remember putting it down and saying to my husband something like, "I can't believe it but this book has got me hooked in 5 pages." I hope they start the series in the same way.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

HBO has two trailers up and some behind the scenes stuff and interviews and the trailers look great. I like how during the author interview (or was it someone else) who said while their is magic in this world it is more implied then seen. Also the line producers said what made this story so interesting was that unlike Lord of the Rings which had clearly defined black and white characters, Game of Thrones has characters that are shades of gray.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy;4120803;

Can't wait for this show to start! I started the series a few months ago and am halfway through Book 4. Supposedly, book 5 is almost done with only a few more chapters left, which he hopes to have done by the end of the year. I have to admit, though, that I'm kinda bummed about the description that the Starks are trying to gain the Iron Throne...but I'll forgive it if they stick to the rest of the story. I don't think I'll be able to watch if they don't, esp. since I love this story so much. There are so many characters I'm looking forward to seeing!

Hepcat, I'm right with you -- the first book hooked me with the direwolf pups.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

Occasional commenter WrigleyDogA2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cantstopwatchin;4121296;
    Supposedly, book 5 is almost done with only a few more chapters left, which he hopes to have done by the end of the year.
    Book 5 has been "almost done" for 5 or 6 years now!

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

To be honest, the genre does not appeal to me but the enthusiasm here (and from HBO's twitter feed) has me curious. I may have to set the DVR to see if it draws me in I did love Lord of the Rings so... maybe!

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WrigleyDogA2;4121341;
    Book 5 has been "almost done" for 5 or 6 years now!
    LOL! Since I'm new to the series, I didn't realize that. I'm ready to boot Martin off the show's location so he can get back to writing. I hope he hasn't lost his groove...
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Three of my literary friends have recommended the series to me, and I've started reading the first book. I like the story but I want it to move much, much faster and without the arched 'fantasy' lingo/talking to inner self. The per-chapter character thing was interesting at first but now I'm all "get to the damn point already" and want the story to progress without a lot of verbose BS. I didn't used to be like that--I could wade through Dickens, Melville, and other classics at great length and leisure. That's why I'm looking forward to the HBO series. I don't have to slog; I just have to wait a week for another episode. The story is great, and I may just finish Thrones before April (having started it in October), but we'll see. This isn't a quick fun read stuff like Charlaine Harris for me. At some point I wonder if GRRM wasn't paid by the word; Dickens actually was (if I believe the apocrypha taught in undergrad), but perhaps he struck the same deal. Nevertheless, it seems some people have great devotion (total props to the set design people on the amazing detail) and can make it easier for me. HBO = the easy button of good story telling.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 87 123456789101151 ... LastLast