+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 87 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181959 ... LastLast
Like Tree169Likes

Thread: Game of Thrones on HBO

Re: Game of Thrones on HBO

From just starting to read the books and being more then halfway through the first one now, I can safely say that I am really, REALLY looking forward to

Click to see Spoiler:
    the scene where Viserys is "crowned". Oh... SOOO satisfying.

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kao View Post
    I wondered that too. Especially since the actor who plays the Hound tested with that scene and blew everyone away. I hope they include it as an extra on the DVD.
    Get out! Now I'm really confused why they did that
    Click to see Spoiler:
    especially since it helps to develop their relationship for the future...
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

I am not reading those book spoilers! *LALALALALALAfingersinmyearsLA LALALALA* I'm reading book 1, but I'm not quite 100 pages in. I can't wait to find out what happens, but I'm waiting until I get there in the book so I can be surprised.

Thanks everyone for sticking with the spoiler tags. I know that everyone who hasn't read the books will appreciate it, especially since the show seems to be following the major plot points from the books fairly closely. A review I read a few weeks ago noted that episode 3 was nearly just 80 pages of the book filmed exactly.

I know it's difficult to NOT talk about the books in this thread and compare them with the show, but let's try to discuss the show on its own merits. If we want to talk about the books, we can always start a thread in the Books forum It's been hard to separate the books and the show with respect to True Blood, but it would be nice if we could try it here, especially since many more people probably won't read Martin's books vs. the Charlaine Harris series.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Regular

I got the book!!!!! Woo Hoo. I started it last night. There are just a few things different but the show is very close to the series.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I am not reading those book spoilers! *LALALALALALAfingersinmyearsLA LALALALA* I'm reading book 1, but I'm not quite 100 pages in. I can't wait to find out what happens, but I'm waiting until I get there in the book so I can be surprised.

Thanks everyone for sticking with the spoiler tags. I know that everyone who hasn't read the books will appreciate it, especially since the show seems to be following the major plot points from the books fairly closely. A review I read a few weeks ago noted that episode 3 was nearly just 80 pages of the book filmed exactly.

I know it's difficult to NOT talk about the books in this thread and compare them with the show, but let's try to discuss the show on its own merits. If we want to talk about the books, we can always start a thread in the Books forum It's been hard to separate the books and the show with respect to True Blood, but it would be nice if we could try it here, especially since many more people probably won't read Martin's books vs. the Charlaine Harris series.
    I thought about just that exact thing a couple of weeks ago.....how good it would be to have a separate thread for people who read the books and want to include that in show discussion....as opposed to people like me, who just want to watch and enjoy the show and don't care about what happens in the books. I cannot/will not read fantasy books, romance novels, and the like. I tried with the Sookie Stackhouse books and just could not get interested, but I love True Blood!!!

And I forgot to say that I love Peter Dinklage's acting skills!!! He has some serious skills.
    Last edited by prhoshay; 05-15-2011 at 02:42 PM.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by cantstopwatchin View Post
    Get out! Now I'm really confused why they did that
    Click to see Spoiler:
    especially since it helps to develop their relationship for the future...

SPOILER regarding Viserys….be careful reading unless you want to know….!!!

Click to see Spoiler:
    In Pentos, Viserys met Illyrio Mopatis, who took an interest in returning Viserys to the Iron Throne in return for rewards upon his ascension. Illyrio and Viserys arranged a marriage between Daenerys and Khal Drogo, a powerful Dothraki horselord who promised Viserys 10,000 men to conquer the Seven Kingdoms. Drogo delayed on his promise, however, and Viserys grew increasingly insistent on making a start to the invasion. He tried to browbeat Daenerys into persuading Drogo, but with her new position of authority she began standing up for herself. After trying to hit Daenerys, she had his horse taken away so Viserys rode in a cart; a taboo amongst Dothraki, earning himself the mocking nickname "the Sorefoot King". At Vaes Dothrak, Viserys got drunk and again insisted that Drogo give him his crown. After Viserys drew a sword and threatened Daenerys's unborn child, Drogo melted down a golden belt and upended the pot over Viserys's head, fatally "crowning" him.
    KAREN

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    I thought about just that exact thing a couple of weeks ago.....how good it would be to have a separate thread for people who read the books and want to include that in show discussion....as opposed to people like me, who just want to watch and enjoy the show and don't care about what happens in the books. I cannot/will not read fantasy books, romance novels, and the like. I tried with the Sookie Stackhouse books and just could not get interested, but I love True Blood!!!

And I forgot to say that I love Peter Dinklage's acting skills!!! He has some serious skills.
    I'm a HUGE Peter Dinklage fan! He totally steals every scene he's in. I've loved him in a lot of movies, but my favorite of his is The Station Agent. Any time it's on, I have to watch it. Running a close second is Death at a Funeral, which is hilarious, although his part is smaller.

ETA: I felt like I should clarify about Death at a Funeral. I mean the vastly superior original, not the crappy, unfunny remake from last year.
    Last edited by Critical; 05-15-2011 at 04:48 PM.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Wow, that scene with the horse was brutal. I have to keep telling myself it's a TV show!

Catelyn's sister has definitely gone around the bend. That scene was so surreal with Lysa nursing her son. Once again, Peter Dinklage steals every scene!

totally agree Crit. All I kept thinking with Lysa is "that's got to be a prosthetic" now Catelyn is between a rock and a hard place and I must read ahead because I dont think I can last the week without knowing what happens to Ned next. All these kings and their temper tantrums make me sick.
    But Richard yelling at his squire to go find the breast plate stretcher was hilarious.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Catelyn's sister has definitely gone around the bend. That scene was so surreal with Lysa nursing her son. Once again, Peter Dinklage steals every scene!
    I was really really surprised they filmed that, what with all the laws regarding children in films these days. It's an important detail to the story, but I thought it would be just mentioned.

For those who have read the books as well, what did you think of the added scenes? Not really a spoiler since all this has aired, but I thought I'd wrap it in spoiler tags for those who haven't read the books and don't realize how much these added to the story that Martin wrote.
    Click to see Spoiler:
    I loved the one between Robert and Cersei-it gives such great insight into their characters and their backstory. It makes both of them seem SO much more sympathetic than in the books. I laughed my way through the Renly/Loras scene, but I thought that one was good too. Guess the filmmakers decided not to go subtle there, but I think they put it in to set the stage for future episodes. The one added scene I didn't like was Theon's-that one seemed kind of silly and gratuitous.

I was sad that there was nothing of Dany or Jon though. Guess we'll probably see a lot of them in the next one.
    Last edited by hepcat; 06-07-2011 at 09:42 PM.

+ Reply to Thread