+ Reply to Thread
Page 82 of 87 FirstFirst ... 3272737475767778798081828384858687 LastLast
Like Tree169Likes

Thread: Game of Thrones on HBO

Re: Game of Thrones on HBO

NOT happy with the spoiler being revealed before GRRM wrote it and NOT happy with the changes made to Bran's storyline and the storyline of the Night's Watch.

CCL - the spoiler was the entire final scene. In a summary somewhere, the character was named and then the name was deleted. GRRM hasn't revealed that part of the story yet. Kind of sucks. Roose Bolton ordered Locke to kill Bran and any other Stark children. Good that Jon hasn't revealed his parentage yet, huh? I don't think Locke will be around very long.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

CCL

Yeah, the whole time Bran et al were at Craster's I was just thinking "no, that's not right"...it took me out of the show. :/

I think Locke may stay around a bit because he is a bigger name actor compared to some of the others. And because it looks like they're trying to "spice up" Bran's storyline.

I did read more about the final scene. Not sure what to make of that, what was accidentally revealed in the summary etc.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Thank you for pointing out the Locke-Roose Bolton connection. I recognized him at the Wall, but I just thought I was crazy. I don't like this Locke character that they just conjured up out of nowhere. There are enough characters in this story without making up new ones!!

I'm not sure I like the diversion of putting Bran at Craster's place. I do agree that they are probably trying to make his story more interesting. I'm going to try to hold off on forming an opinion until we find out where it's going to go. The whole scene at Craster's is basically why I didn't get the hoopla over the Jamie-Cersi scene last week. People are in an uproar about that rape scene when this week we have a whole gang of men gang raping this group of women and the leader declares they will do it until they all die. That's MUCH worse!! I get that we want to like Jamie and the scene tarnishes his recovery somewhat, but come on.

I wasn't bothered much by the spoiler. We knew the babies were being taken and I figured it was just a way for them to keep viewers thinking about the white walkers. In the books there are huge stretches with no appearances from them. They can't really do the same thing in the show.

CCL

Regarding the spoiler
    Click to see Spoiler:
    There was more that people gleaned from the scene. The lead guy was revealed in the (now-erased) summary to be the Night's King. The Night's King is referenced by Bran in the book. He was a former head of the Night's Watch who fell in love with an other/White Walker, married her and turned into a tyrannical Other. This was centuries ago. And as a human he was a Stark. So people are saying that the ending of the episode revealed who would be the ultimate "big baddie" whereas in the book it's not been revealed he is even alive, let alone running the Others/White Walkers. And it brings up what it means for the Starks, who have always been the purported heroes of the story, as much as there are heroes in Westeros, if the main villain turns out to have once been one of them.

Personally, I didn't even remember the Night's King story so I'm not sure how I feel about his continued existence being revealed in the show first versus in the books. I always thought that the ending would involve the Others vs Westeros (rather than infighting amongst the Westerosi, as it is now) and I guess this would suggest that is the direction it is going to go in. Ice (Snow) is going to join Fire (Dany/dragons) and go to town on the Others is my guess
    Last edited by CCL; 04-29-2014 at 05:51 PM.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Really interesting interview with the linguist who created the various languages for the show: Interview With Linguist David Peterson

I like the little personal touches he added. I'm going to have to watch again to hear the Monty Python insults!

I'm amazed at what this guy did and is still doing. I mean, with the LOTR series, the languages were already there; Tolkien was a linguist and he wrote the books to have a framework for the languages he created. David Peterson had to use the books (that he didn't write) as a jumping off point to create three new languages.

I've watched the last few episodes multiples times now. The grin on Pod's face as he's introduced to Brienne = I love that kid. Also, Sansa's face when she realizes she's still screwed when Lysa tells her that once Tyrion is dead, she'll be free to marry creepy Robin. Awesome.

Ghost

I love Burn Gorman, but I'm glad Karl is dead. It was so hard seeing Burn play a baddie when in my heart, he's Owen from Torchwood.

We've only got () five episodes left in the season (seriously, don't read if you don't want to be spoiled):

Click to see Spoiler:
    Episode 8 is titled "The Mountain and and Viper," so I guess we know when Oberyn bites the dust.

The other episodes (two of which I found a short synopsis for):
    6: "The Laws of Gods and Men" - Stannis and Davos set sail; Dany meets with supplicants; Tyrion faces down his father
    7: "Mockingbird" - Tyrion gains an unlikely ally; Daario asks Dany to allow him to do what he does best; Jon's warnings about the vulnerability of the Wall are ignores; Brienne follows a new lead
    9: "The Watchers on the Wall" [maybe this is when Stannis arrives at the Wall]
    10: "The Children" [maybe Bran arrives at his destination]

Considering the pace of the season, I'm going to predict the big Catelyn reveal could be the final shot of the season. I can't think of anything else that would have the audience gasping and immediately wanting more. Also, Tyrion will make his escape (so Tywin and, hopefully, Shae will be killed) and Jon will be chosen as the new Lord Commander in that same episode. Maybe one of those things will happen in episode 9 in order to spread out the big stuff.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by Critical
    Also, Sansa's face when she realizes she's still screwed when Lysa tells her that once Tyrion is dead, she'll be free to marry creepy Robin. Awesome.
    That poor child. All she wants is a handsome prince and a plate of lemon cakes, and now she's stuck with her nutter aunt Lysa. And Littlefinger! I can't believe he's the instigator of most of this craziness. Well, I sort of can. All this time, I thought it was the Lannisters who poisoned Jon Arryn...wow. I'll give him this, he's good at what he does.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Well, he IS the most dangerous man in the realm. We didn't know at the time how true that statement is!
    waywyrd likes this.

Could Peter Dinklage be any more amazing!??!
    Wag more, bark less

Probably. Just wait for what's coming!

He was so, so good last night. The look on his face when Shae came out and started spouting a bunch of BS just broke my heart. I do wish Tywin wouldn't always get his way, the miserable bastard.

Dany's learning that ruling isn't all that much fun.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

+ Reply to Thread