+ Reply to Thread
Page 81 of 87 FirstFirst ... 317172737475767778798081828384858687 LastLast
Like Tree173Likes

Thread: Game of Thrones on HBO

FORT Fanatic

Re: Game of Thrones on HBO

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post
    Question because I really don't remember: who is Tommen's real father?
    Jaime is the father of all three of the kids. ewwwwww

I was sort of disappointed by the rape. In the book, it's consensual and, therefore, WAY creepier. Also, Jaime isn't there for the wedding; he arrives after Joff is dead.
    Jamie5632 likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I'm not sure if it was really supposed to read rape or not. She was one minute saying stop, and the next pulling him to her. I haven't read the books so I didn't know that in the books it's consensual, but I was still trying to figure out what she actually wanted, so I was watching her pretty closely and I couldn't really tell. Her words said one thing and then her actions were saying another. She was saying it was wrong, but then so is sleeping with your brother, so it seems she doesn't really object to "wrong" and in fact does a lot of things that would be considered wrong. I ended up thinking that if she had truly not wanted it she probably could have gotten him to stop, but as she was sending mixed messages and so he thought she was just objecting sort of proforma.

Oh and Joffery's death wasn't nearly bad enough. He should have suffered for much longer at the least.

If that was supposed to be a rape/non-book people are taking it as that, I'm pretty ticked off. In the books she's only worried about getting caught; it is DEFINITELY consensual and having it be rape-y changes everything about Jaimie's turn around to date.
    CantGetNuf likes this.
    Wag more, bark less

Sorry for the double post, but I think the thing that ticks me off the most is they started his redemption by having him stop Brienne from getting raped at camp. Having that be rape/rape-y negates all of that.
    Wag more, bark less

Quote Originally Posted by Duckyface View Post
    I'm not sure if it was really supposed to read rape or not. She was one minute saying stop, and the next pulling him to her. I haven't read the books so I didn't know that in the books it's consensual, but I was still trying to figure out what she actually wanted, so I was watching her pretty closely and I couldn't really tell. Her words said one thing and then her actions were saying another. She was saying it was wrong, but then so is sleeping with your brother, so it seems she doesn't really object to "wrong" and in fact does a lot of things that would be considered wrong. I ended up thinking that if she had truly not wanted it she probably could have gotten him to stop, but as she was sending mixed messages and so he thought she was just objecting sort of proforma.

Oh and Joffery's death wasn't nearly bad enough. He should have suffered for much longer at the least.
    She was crying and telling him "no" and that it was wrong. He indicated that he didn't care. That seems pretty rape-y to me. I'm not sure how she could have stopped him. I didn't see any mixed messages after she said "no."

ITA Jamie....In the book - and I favor that version - the only thing Cersei's concerned with is someone walking in and catching them. She's more in control and it shows how easily manipulated Jaime is by her.

I agree that this undoes the redeeming of Jaime's character that's taken place over the last season or two. It bums me out because I love him in the books.

The scene with Pod and Tyrion

A few seasons back someone - maybe Jaime - talked about how all the Lannisters look alike. Well, now we have proof. The actor recast as Tommen also played Martyn Lannister, one of the squires killed by Rickard Karstark in season 3.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

From George's perspective: (from some random link I'm not sure I'm allowed to reference)
    "Since a lot of people have been emailing me about this ... I will reply," he wrote. "I think the "butterfly effect" that I have spoken of so often was at work here. In the novels, Jaime is not present at Joffrey's death, and indeed, Cersei has been fearful that he is dead himself, that she has lost both the son and the father/ lover/ brother. And then suddenly Jaime is there before her. Maimed and changed, but Jaime nonetheless. Though the time and place is wildly inappropriate and Cersei is fearful of discovery, she is as hungry for him as he is for her."

He continued, "The whole dynamic is different in the show, where Jaime has been back for weeks at the least, maybe longer, and he and Cersei have been in each other's company on numerous occasions, often quarreling. The setting is the same, but neither character is in the same place as in the books, which may be why Dan & David played the sept out differently. But that's just my surmise; we never discussed this scene, to the best of my recollection."

He also gave some insight into why the show altered what happened in the books.

"If the show had retained some of Cersei's dialogue from the books, it might have left a somewhat different impression -- but that dialogue was very much shaped by the circumstances of the books, delivered by a woman who is seeing her lover again for the first time after a long while apart during which she feared he was dead. I am not sure it would have worked with the new timeline," he wrote.

"That's really all I can say on this issue. The scene was always intended to be disturbing... but I do regret if it has disturbed people for the wrong reasons."
    Wag more, bark less

Ok, I didn't get to watch it, but for those who have read the books, I heard there was a BIG spoiler last night as to some information that hasn't been released in the books yet. I'm dying to see what those of you who did watch it thought??!!

CCL

I'm not sure what it would be? Was it about Margery's grandmother and Baelish admitting they were behind Joffrey's death? Because I don't recall that being spelled out directly in the book though most people assumed they were behind it. Was it Bran being found out in Craster's keep while Jon is on his way there with some nightsguard? Because that storyline wasn't even in the book. Was it the white walkers taking the abandoned baby and making him into a white walker?

How did Locke from Ramsay Snow/Roose Bolton storyline get to the Wall? Last I saw he was with Roose and then suddenly he's a new recruit for the watch? I'm presuming he's there under Bolton's orders to get close to Snow but was there a scene that said as much? Because if so I missed it. And again that's a different storyline from the book (as Locke isn't a character in the books) so I was confused.
    Uncle David likes this.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

NOT happy with the spoiler being revealed before GRRM wrote it and NOT happy with the changes made to Bran's storyline and the storyline of the Night's Watch.

CCL - the spoiler was the entire final scene. In a summary somewhere, the character was named and then the name was deleted. GRRM hasn't revealed that part of the story yet. Kind of sucks. Roose Bolton ordered Locke to kill Bran and any other Stark children. Good that Jon hasn't revealed his parentage yet, huh? I don't think Locke will be around very long.

+ Reply to Thread