+ Reply to Thread
Page 78 of 87 FirstFirst ... 286869707172737475767778798081828384858687 LastLast
Like Tree171Likes

Thread: Game of Thrones on HBO

Re: Game of Thrones on HBO

This makes me want to hit Twitter like ALL DAY: Game of Thrones ? Bring Down the King
    waywyrd likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Been watching the marathon all afternoon...even the Red Wedding, which isn't any easier to watch the second time around.

Can't wait for the premiere!
    prhoshay likes this.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

waywyrd and momrek06 like this.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Not surprising considering the premiere was the highest rated program since the Sopranos series finale. All I can think is that GRRM had better be writing FAST. AT the very most, they've got material for maybe 3 more seasons after this one, depending on where this one ends AND if they stretch.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I really have to get off my butt and dive into those books.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Yes. Yes you do!
    waywyrd likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post
    I really have to get off my butt and dive into those books.
    I've been debating whether to read the books now or to wait until the series is finished. Apparently they stick very closely to the books and sometimes I am disappointed in a movie or series if I have read the books first, although I have a hard time thinking this series would disappoint. I keep wanting to read them, and then change my mind, and change it back...
    Uncle David likes this.

READ THE BOOKS. The comparison I make is the Harry Potter series. The books and the movies are fairly similar, but there is SO much more detail in the books and there are storylines that just didn't make it into the movies. The GRRM books are so much richer than the series. I love the show, but the books are better...and I think that having read the books gives me a better understanding of the show. Reading the books hasn't made the show suffer by comparison....at least not yet. If they start changing major plot points, I may change my opinion.

Really though, as much as I really do love the show, if I was made to choose only one, it would be the books, hands down.

Give the first book a try and see how you feel. If you're like me, you'll be hooked and you won't stop reading until you finish book 5

BTW - This definitely isn't like the Charlaine Harris series and True Blood where they books were gutted and the show went "rogue."

Re: the premiere - I've been waiting for Arya to get Needle back and see more of her "road trip" with the Hound. One of my favorite pairings in the series.

The statue of Joffrey and then him standing in the same position =

I forgot about Tywin reforging Ice into two swords. Brutal.
    waywyrd and 2boysmom like this.

FORT Newbie

I've read the books (anxiously awaiting the next) but never watched the show. My husband did, but not me... until this week when I tuned in. I love that I know what's going to happen. It was hard to watch Tywin melt down Ice... I knew it was coming, but still... I love the relationship between Tyrion and Sansa so it was fun to watch that on screen.
    I feel like maybe I should go back and watch the previous seasons but I don't know how necessary that is.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I HATE knowing what's going to happen next; to me, there is no point to watching one if you've read the other. I respect that they are 2 different entities, unto themselves.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread