+ Reply to Thread
Page 74 of 87 FirstFirst ... 24646566676869707172737475767778798081828384 ... LastLast
Like Tree171Likes

Thread: Game of Thrones on HBO

Re: Game of Thrones on HBO

As a fan of the books, I have to admit that I thought this finale was a bit of a letdown. No big shocker moments that I was hoping for. I had not read that certain events were being held for early next season. I would have much preferred that they had been the end of this season!!

I'm also not completely wild about the way they rolled out Reek. I happen to know someone that is in the middle of book 4 at the moment and that seemed like a major spoiler considering the way I recall that storyline being handled in the books.

Still looking forward to next season, but it seems like such a very long time to wait for events that I expected to occur this season.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

The final episode's title "Mhysa" spoke to me. Mother. A tribute to Daenarys but also to Catelyn and poor Talisha/Jeyne.

Catelyn watching Robb being assassinated, her last living child as far as she knew, was really heartbreaking. But in the Mysha episode we hear Walder Frey mocking the audacity of Robb's title, "The Young Wolf," and Bolton's ironic remark, "Forever Young." They created a martyr and I truly believe the North will never forget (as Tyrion said).

For some reason, in the book I thought Robb left his wife behind because she was pregnant. I was actually surprised to read here that she wasn't. I guess it was just an impression. I was hoping she'd have a part in the history of House Stark, and I guess I was hoping that we'd hear more of her and her child in Book 6. Valor morghulis.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields View Post
    The final episode's title "Mhysa" spoke to me. Mother. A tribute to Daenarys but also to Catelyn and poor Talisha/Jeyne.

Catelyn watching Robb being assassinated, her last living child as far as she knew, was really heartbreaking. But in the Mysha episode we hear Walder Frey mocking the audacity of Robb's title, "The Young Wolf," and Bolton's ironic remark, "Forever Young." They created a martyr and I truly believe the North will never forget (as Tyrion said).

For some reason, in the book I thought Robb left his wife behind because she was pregnant. I was actually surprised to read here that she wasn't. I guess it was just an impression. I was hoping she'd have a part in the history of House Stark, and I guess I was hoping that we'd hear more of her and her child in Book 6. Valor morghulis.
    Click to see Spoiler:
    not sure if tags are needed.. but yes. she was left behind out of respect. Not because she was pregnant. She didn't want to rub the marriage in their faces. In the books, I can't recall if we know she is pregnant at this time or not. Or rather if she even is
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

FORT Fanatic

I just finished book 3 this afternoon and all I can say is Wow. Didn't see that coming. I saw some of the other things coming (things that will occur next season on HBO), but not this. I am sure those who have read know what I am talking about.

I hear book 4 is a let down, so I am not sure if I am going to start it right away.

Quote Originally Posted by short_lived View Post
    I just finished book 3 this afternoon and all I can say is Wow. Didn't see that coming. I saw some of the other things coming (things that will occur next season on HBO), but not this. I am sure those who have read know what I am talking about.

I hear book 4 is a let down, so I am not sure if I am going to start it right away.
    The funny thing about the books and Game of Thrones (the show) in general is the fact that most of it is SOOOO amazing that the other non-amazing stuff gets relegated to just "ok," even when it's still pretty awesome. Go for Book 4..they are all wonderful (for me, book 2 was the slowest).

Quote Originally Posted by mindy384 View Post
    The funny thing about the books and Game of Thrones (the show) in general is the fact that most of it is SOOOO amazing that the other non-amazing stuff gets relegated to just "ok," even when it's still pretty awesome. Go for Book 4..they are all wonderful (for me, book 2 was the slowest).
    I also really liked book 4. My guess is that the reason you are seeing comments like that about book 4 is because there are a bunch of "new" characters, relatively speaking - characters we haven't followed in depth for the first 3 books. Since many of the favorites aren't in that book, some aren't fans.

I didn't HATE book 4, but it was just slower for me. Originally, books 4 and 5 were one book. When the book got too long to fit in a binding, GRRM split the action, but he split it geographically rather than chronologically. That's why there are a number of characters you don't see until book 5.

I'd love to see a breakdown of books 4 and 5 with a timeline so I could read both at once. At a certain point, there's new material in book 5 as the action moves forward. The first time I read book 4, I'll admit I skimmed a bit. When I re-read, it's not the same. There's so much important stuff that happens in book 4 that I'm sure is setting things up for future action.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I've just started book 4 and I'm bored to death. We're checking in with characters I don't know and don't care about (yet) I find it going very slowly. I'm only about 8 chapters in. I want to check in with Arya and Jon!
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Duxxy, I honestly can't remember if Arya is in book 4 or not. I think she isn't. I know Jon isn't, except through third person with other narrators. Stick with it, though. I agree with Critical - he wouldn't have written an entire book with relatively new characters if they weren't going to be important to the final 2 books.

I FINALLY got to see the finale last night. Long story as to why - oh, and for those who have HBO Go, did you know that if you try to watch the show at the same time it is airing, you only get audio? Yeah, that isn't annoying AT ALL!! Generally I thought the finale was fine. It was never going to be exciting compared to what happened last week. I was expecting one thing to happen that didn't, so I guess we wait until next season for that. I loved the scenes with Arya and The Hound. They were one of my favorite partnerships in the books, and I like the expansion they have done on the show - mostly because I love the two characters. I thought the ending with Dany was a bit cheesy. But all in all, it was good - and knowing what is coming next season, it was a good way to "wrap things up" so to speak, for another year.

I'm so happy I started reading the books. I'm about 60% through the first one and I can really see how it is going to enhance the show for me. Not to mention, I NEED to know what happens!
    Critical likes this.
    Wag more, bark less

+ Reply to Thread