+ Reply to Thread
Page 72 of 87 FirstFirst ... 22626364656667686970717273747576777879808182 ... LastLast
Like Tree170Likes

Thread: Game of Thrones on HBO

Re: Game of Thrones on HBO

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Cue the new round of people being mad and saying they're done with the show, just like after Ned was killed. One of the things that makes this series (book and TV) great is that uncertainty. You NEVER know who could die next and NO ONE is safe.
    How could anyone be done with this show?! Just because that scene about knocked me off the couch is no reason to quit the show...if anything, it makes me more of a fan. I love the unpredictability. What fun is a show when you know certain characters will never, ever come to harm? *cough*TrueBlood*cough*
    Jamie5632 likes this.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

The same way they say they are done with the books after the Red Wedding (but they never are)!! I always think it is hilarious to read a rant on one of the websites about the author is cruel and a sadist and just likes torturing people. Without fail, when probed, the person making the post will say they just read the Red Wedding chapter!

Critical, I do think the musicians played the song in the books as well. The doors close, the music starts and then everything goes chaotic. I even seem to recall in the books that Roose Bolton gives a signal to the musicians to start playing.

And I agree, the unpredictability is what I love most about this series as well. I think whether book or show, or both, once they be-headed Ned Stark in the first book/first season, it was pretty clear that all gloves were off and NO ONE is safe.

Even though I knew what was about to happen I still found it just brutal to watch.I can't imagine what non-readers felt.I admit it,I bawled like a baby.

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post
    How could anyone be done with this show?! Just because that scene about knocked me off the couch is no reason to quit the show...if anything, it makes me more of a fan. I love the unpredictability. What fun is a show when you know certain characters will never, ever come to harm? *cough*TrueBlood*cough*
    I know. It's ridiculous. Anyone who's that upset clearly hasn't been paying attention.

I'm a huge Tolkien fan, but those books are quite predictable. Plus, as GRRM has said in interviews, you never doubt that as soon as Aragorn becomes king that everything will be just fine - prosperity, no war, etc. That's not real life. Reading the I&F series is a totally different experience. You're on the edge of your seat the entire time because you know that NO ONE is safe. That being said, there are a few characters that have made it to book five that are my favorites. If they die before the end - especially in a really senseless way (vs. a heroic one) - I'll be crushed.

I'm eager to see where they leave us at the season finale. We've had a good idea with seasons 1 and 2, but since they're splitting book 3, I'm not sure what they'll be fitting in next week.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

For those of you wondering what we non-book folks did/said/shouted when we saw the Red Wedding. The girl in the blanket sprinkled throughout the video, complete with worried dog, was closest to mine. I'm relieved I didn't have a book reader videotaping me when it happened!

'Game Of Thrones' 'Red Wedding' Viewer Reactions (VIDEO)

The guy in the blue shorts who turns and says "you guys knew about this!?!?!" is how we feel
    Last edited by Jamie5632; 06-03-2013 at 11:47 PM.
    Wag more, bark less

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie5632 View Post
    For those of you wondering what we non-book folks did/said/shouted when we saw the Red Wedding. The girl in the blanket sprinkled throughout the video, complete with worried dog, was closest to mine. I'm relieved I didn't have a book reader videotaping me when it happened!

'Game Of Thrones' 'Red Wedding' Viewer Reactions (VIDEO)

The guy in the blue shorts who turns and says "you guys knew about this!?!?!" is how we feel
    I don't know, I have friends who watch the show but haven't read the books and they are adamant that they DO NOT want me to spoil them, so I don't give anything away. If they ever want to know, I'm happy to tell them, but I would never give anything away if they didn't want to know. There are so many great shockers in the books and I think that, if you haven't read the books, it's more fun to watch the show as it happens.

I think the massacre at the Red Wedding is one of those things that, when you look back on it, was predictable. If you look at the clues, it's obvious that it would happen. I also think that it's so outside of the realm of what most people would do that we can't believe it would happen. We ignore the clues. All of the scenes at the Twins were so full of foreboding (and foreshadowing) but again, we don't want to believe anyone would be so unforgiving and evil.

They didn't linger on it in the episode, but serving the Stark party bread and salt was a custom and should have meant that neither party would harm the other. To murder the Starks was to break a sacred oath.

I don't know many people who were as upset about the Red Wedding as people who saw it for the first time on the show. They've really fleshed out Robb more on the show. In the books, the RW is shocking, but I wasn't as upset by Robb's death as I would have been by the deaths of pretty much any of the other Stark children.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I don't know many people who were as upset about the Red Wedding as people who saw it for the first time on the show. They've really fleshed out Robb more on the show. In the books, the RW is shocking, but I wasn't as upset by Robb's death as I would have been by the deaths of pretty much any of the other Stark children.
    I haven't been keeping up with the show because I don't get HBO, but in the book I was more upset by Grey Wind's death than Robb's. And not at all upset by Caitlyn's "death" since she is probably my least favorite character, the one I consider the catalyst for all the bad things that have happened.
    mindy384 likes this.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723 View Post
    I haven't been keeping up with the show because I don't get HBO, but in the book I was more upset by Grey Wind's death than Robb's. And not at all upset by Caitlyn's "death" since she is probably my least favorite character, the one I consider the catalyst for all the bad things that have happened.
    Oh, me too. One of the most upsetting deaths in the whole series for me is when Ned kills Lady in place of Nymeria.
    mindy384 likes this.

I don't know, I have friends who watch the show but haven't read the books and they are adamant that they DO NOT want me to spoil them, so I don't give anything away. If they ever want to know, I'm happy to tell them, but I would never give anything away if they didn't want to know. There are so many great shockers in the books and I think that, if you haven't read the books, it's more fun to watch the show as it happens.
    This! I have friends watching the show who have not read the books and they have made very clear to me that they don't want to be spoiled. Even knowing that, I have been preparing them for weeks - telling them that the event coming up is probably the biggest in all 5 books and that it is when book readers tend to throw their books and walk away from the series for a little while. Even with that, some of them could not believe it and are still ranting to me today!!

Oh, me too. One of the most upsetting deaths in the whole series for me is when Ned kills Lady in place of Nymeria.
    Me too, but either one he had killed would have upset me. I did watch the first season when we had HBO for awhile, and I refused to watch that scene. Fortunately, I knew it was coming and turned it off before it happened.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

+ Reply to Thread