+ Reply to Thread
Page 70 of 87 FirstFirst ... 20606162636465666768697071727374757677787980 ... LastLast
Like Tree171Likes

Thread: Game of Thrones on HBO

Re: Game of Thrones on HBO

We see again that it doesn't pay to trust OR to betray Littlefinger. Poor Ros. I'm really glad we didn't see Joffrey kill her. We've seen plenty of his psychotic behavior. Since she wasn't actually a (named) character in the books, I'm okay with them killing her, but I had grown to like her.

I'm still loving Jaime and Brienne. Those little moments in the scene at the table - her stabbing the steak with a fork so he could cut it and then him putting his hand over hers when she went for her knife - were so good. I could watch entire episodes with just the two of them. I read an interview with N C-W and apparently, they will not be
    Click to see Spoiler:
    shaving Jaime's head. I'm really bummed because I was looking forward to seeing him transformed. The appearance of him in King's Landing with the beard, shaved head and then the golden hand would have been so dramatic. I'm still holding out hope that they'll shave him...or at least give him a buzz cut. The transformation - beyond the missing hand - is what made his reappearance so shocking.

I can't wait for Jaime's rescue of Brienne from the bear. It's one of my favorite moments in the book. I'm pretty sure it comes next week, since the episode is called "The Bear and the Maiden Fair."

Speaking of Nikolaj, did anyone see him on SNL last night? I had high hopes when they started the "Game of Game of Thrones" sketch, but then they turned it into another joke about how fans of sci-fi/fantasy are obsessed and, therefore, know nothing about the "real world." There were so many more interesting ways that sketch could have gone. It felt lazy to me. I was happy that critics were panning the sketch as well. The one they did a while back about the new creative consultant (aka the 13/14-year old boy who told them where to add more boobs) on the show was MUCH better. Plus, Bobby Moynihan does a pretty killer GRRM.

Considering that they're dealing with a TV show-sized budget, I thought the sequence on the Wall was pretty good.

I don't necessarily need to see Theon tortured for the next 3 seasons, or however long that's going to last. A little goes a long way with those scenes. I will say that the actor playing the character whose name still hasn't been revealed is doing a great job of playing that total psycho. I almost feel sorry for Theon. Almost.

Once again, Varys gets the line of the episode: "The Lysa Arryn of chairs." [re: the Iron Throne]

I've been waiting all season for Littlefinger's speech about chaos since the preview was released months ago. While the character's fairly detestable right now, Aidan Gillen is SO good in the role.

I can't believe we're already to the "back" of the season. Four more episodes left until the finale. I can't wait to see everything play out on screen, but I'll be sad when the season ends.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Once again, Varys gets the line of the episode: "The Lysa Arryn of chairs." [re: the Iron Throne]
    I loved that one!!! My other favorite from last night was during the awkward Jamie, Brienne, Bolton dinner when Lord Bolton said to Jamie "You don't want to overplay your.......position." I cracked up!

ETA: I am so glad I am going into this season having read the books. My son watches with me and he has a hard time staying on top of who the characters are and how they are connected to one another. Especially with the smaller/side characters. For example, I (personally) think it would be harder to know who Edmure and the Blackfish are and what their implications are in the story without having read the books. They simply do not have time to introduce characters in a way that always makes it blatantly obvious to the viewer.
    Last edited by ClosetRTWatcher; 05-06-2013 at 12:55 PM.

I thought last night was a set up for the ending that will play out over the next 4 episodes. I'm interested in where a few of these stories are going, given the difference between the book and the show. I actually started re-reading (again) book 3 so I could see where they were. I was actually surprised that in the book, Jamie does what you spoilered very early on - before they meet the Bloody Mummers. He does it because he doesn't want to be noticeable while they are on their journey. So if they haven't done it yet, it would be weird for them to do it now, given where we are and his need not to hide so much from here on out.

I loved the scene with Mel and Thoros. Interesting change of events with Gendry. Since he basically disappears from the books, I am really curious to see where they go with this.

I also loved just showing Sansa watch Littlefinger's boat leave as she was crying. Not quite how it happened in the books, but we get to the same place either way.

My two favorite scenes - the dinner scene with Jamie and Brienne, played to perfection by those two! AND, the scene with Tywin and the Queen of Thorns!

And yes, I am good with no Theon for a few episodes. We don't need to see it in detail. I also love that people who haven't read the books still don't know who he is! They now know the bottom line - that he is just a f**ked up person who likes to torture. But the backstory is kind of important, I think, so I assume they will fill show watchers in at some point.

Question for book readers:
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Do they ever say it was Joff and not Cersei who tried to have Tyrion killed? I don't think so, and I think the book actually implies the other way. So that scene surprised me!

Arya and the Hound! I've been waiting for this for two years! I'm sad that we only have 3 more episodes, but I can't wait to see them!

And so continues the redemption of Jaime Lannister. "Sorry about the sapphires."

GREAT scene with Dany and the slavemaster. She's never so good as she is when she's being regal and threatening. I'm sure the CGI for all three dragons was not cheap, but it was totally worth it. The special effects team is doing an incredible job with the dragons.

I re-watched last week's episode....was anyone else surprised that Loras wanted his future bride to wear a gown with French sleeves? I can't believe that one slipped past the script checkers.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I totally missed the French sleeves comment. I was still squirming from Theon's misadventures. Yeesh.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post

I re-watched last week's episode....was anyone else surprised that Loras wanted his future bride to wear a gown with French sleeves? I can't believe that one slipped past the script checkers.
    They must be me because I didn't get the allusion either. I had to check urban dictionary just now to see what you meant.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I just meant that in the world of the show, there IS no France, so there wouldn't be any French sleeves either.

CCL

Oh. Duh me. .
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Just wanted to say...Thanks a lot Forters!!! You have all started me on another new obsession ROFL I started the books, i am half way through the 2nd one so far. So, so , so, so good. LOL I am already sad the season is almost over. Quick question....the guy that was climbing the wall (sorry, forgot his name), is he the same actor that was in Walking Dead? He was standing next to Carol in the prison yard and got shot.

Quote Originally Posted by BlondeOne View Post
    Just wanted to say...Thanks a lot Forters!!! You have all started me on another new obsession ROFL I started the books, i am half way through the 2nd one so far. So, so , so, so good. LOL I am already sad the season is almost over. Quick question....the guy that was climbing the wall (sorry, forgot his name), is he the same actor that was in Walking Dead? He was standing next to Carol in the prison yard and got shot.
    Totally different actors. Lew Temple played Axel on WD:
    200full-.jpg

Kristofer Hivju plays Tormund GIantsbane:
    kristofer-hivju-la-premiere-of-the-thing-01.jpg
    BlondeOne likes this.

+ Reply to Thread