+ Reply to Thread
Page 69 of 87 FirstFirst ... 19596061626364656667686970717273747576777879 ... LastLast
Like Tree174Likes

Thread: Game of Thrones on HBO

Re: Game of Thrones on HBO

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    As I've mentioned upthread, my friends who haven't read the books or who've only read the first book don't believe me when I tell them that Jaime becomes a much more sympathetic character as the books progress. Maybe NOW they're starting to believe me!
    I can't imagine not reading the books. You get so much more out of it if you know all the backstory. And however good the show is, the books are a zillion times better.
    Duxxy and straycat80 like this.
    If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men. - St. Francis of Assisi

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fanatic

I need the collective wisdom of FORT. Why did people think Beric was dead? For some reason, I can't remember. What is up with him? I am only about half way through book three and some things from episode 5 I have read and some have not happened yet. The show is really mixing up the timing.

FORT Fan

Not sure if you mean viewers of the show or characters when you ask why people think Beric was dead. If you mean viewers, when someone gets a sword through their shoulder all the way to their waist, they generally do die. So it's a surprise when he pops back up.

If you mean characters in the books/show-Beric was originally sent to hunt down the Hound's brother, the Mountain, in season/book 1 by Ned Stark when the fighting first broke out. In the interval between then and now, Ned was executed and all his orders declared null and void, so to speak. His order to arrest one of the Lannister's liege men was reversed when Joffrey took the throne. Beric and his men stayed true to their original orders, making them outlaws in that part of the land, guilty of treason and operating 'behind enemy lines'. So not only is he in the middle of a war, he's under a death sentence now himself for opposing the king.

The part where he was talking about 'how many times Thoros brought him back' is why people in the books think he's dead-he got a spear through his midsection, had a dagger through his eye, was caught by Lannister men and hanged-all things that you'd expect to kill someone. And in fact, he did die and was brought back to life by Thoros and the red god, as he was in this episode. So all those scars he showed Arya were from times he was killed and Thoros had to pray over him to bring him back.

Hope this helps-I'm a huge nerd and have read the books dozens of times over the years so I can go on and on about the back stories that they can't fit into the show.

FORT Regular

I can't imagine watching the series once I've read the books, so I've vowed to put off the reading until the entire series is shown (or till they inexplicably cut it off), however long it may take. I know I will be deeply critical and disappointed in the series if characters from the books are omitted or the plots are altered or underdeveloped due to filming constraints, since I'm quite particular about things like that. So while I'm thoroughly enjoying the series right now, I would probably only enjoy it half as much or less if I had read the books first. But knowing how good the books will be (someone did mention that the books are a zillion times better), I know my enjoyment of the books will be more than doubled/quadrupled even after having watched the series. Hope all this makes sense.
    Jamie5632 likes this.

I can't imagine watching the show and NOT reading the books. I haven't been disappointed with the changes made and the books add such depth to the viewing of the show. I'm always going to love the book more than any movie or TV adaptation, but that doesn't mean I don't love this show. I think I love it MORE because I love the books so much.
    Duxxy and short_lived like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by pretlitdev View Post
    Not sure if you mean viewers of the show or characters when you ask why people think Beric was dead. If you mean viewers, when someone gets a sword through their shoulder all the way to their waist, they generally do die. So it's a surprise when he pops back up.

If you mean characters in the books/show-Beric was originally sent to hunt down the Hound's brother, the Mountain, in season/book 1 by Ned Stark when the fighting first broke out. In the interval between then and now, Ned was executed and all his orders declared null and void, so to speak. His order to arrest one of the Lannister's liege men was reversed when Joffrey took the throne. Beric and his men stayed true to their original orders, making them outlaws in that part of the land, guilty of treason and operating 'behind enemy lines'. So not only is he in the middle of a war, he's under a death sentence now himself for opposing the king.
    Thank you so much! That's exactly what I was missing! It has been almost two years since I read book 1.

Quote Originally Posted by pretlitdev View Post

The part where he was talking about 'how many times Thoros brought him back' is why people in the books think he's dead-he got a spear through his midsection, had a dagger through his eye, was caught by Lannister men and hanged-all things that you'd expect to kill someone. And in fact, he did die and was brought back to life by Thoros and the red god, as he was in this episode. So all those scars he showed Arya were from times he was killed and Thoros had to pray over him to bring him back.

Hope this helps-I'm a huge nerd and have read the books dozens of times over the years so I can go on and on about the back stories that they can't fit into the show.
    One thing I vaguely remember, but figure I will defer to you, pretlitdev, since it sounds like you have read the series many more times than I have: I thought at one point in the books, there is a report back that the Mountain killed Berric. I think that is why the Hound is so surprised to see him in the cave (both on the show and in the books), because I think there previously was a report back that he was killed - so everyone thinks he is dead.

It took me two viewings to recognize Tara Fitzgerald as Lady Selyse. I love her! I thought it might be her the first time I watched the episode, but it's been so long since I've seen her in anything. [I][Brassed Off/I] is one of my favorite movies. So happy to see her working.....and on my favorite show! She's got some good material to work with. Selyse is lots of fun....ie. she's freaking nuts!
    Duxxy likes this.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by KatesMom View Post
    One thing I vaguely remember, but figure I will defer to you, pretlitdev, since it sounds like you have read the series many more times than I have: I thought at one point in the books, there is a report back that the Mountain killed Berric. I think that is why the Hound is so surprised to see him in the cave (both on the show and in the books), because I think there previously was a report back that he was killed - so everyone thinks he is dead.
    You're right, I forgot to add that part in. I'm working on the Wheel of Time series now so it's been about half a year since I read the first couple books in this series, but at least one of Beric's 'deaths' was at the hands of the Mountain. It definitely was spread about in King's Landing that Beric was dead, so yeah, the Hound would have heard at least rumors before he left the capitol.

+ Reply to Thread