+ Reply to Thread
Page 58 of 87 FirstFirst ... 8484950515253545556575859606162636465666768 ... LastLast
Like Tree171Likes

Thread: Game of Thrones on HBO

Re: Game of Thrones on HBO

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl View Post
    FWIW, Sean Bean was as far from Ned Stark as I imagined, but he totally worked. And I think we all can agree Dinklage's Tyrion is both (a) awesome and (b) far, far more attractive than book Tyrion. What Hinds has going for him is the way he can embody a character. For example, his comportment as Caesar in Rome, the broken Mossad agent in The Debt, and the randy Bud Hammond in Political Animals were all totally different without him even opening his mouth.
    Totally agree. Ned is only in his mid-30's in the book. Sean Bean was probably 50 or 51 when he played the role.

I think when you're casting a role for a little person, you get Peter Dinklage, if you can. The producers even said they didn't even consider anyone else.

I think we've talked about this upthread, but I think that it's common in TV and movies to cast more attractive actors, even for characters who aren't very attractive because the viewer isn't hearing the character's inner dialogue like the reader does with a book and often more attractive characters are seen as more sympathetic. We KNOW who Tyrion is because we've been in his head as readers. For some reason, it's easier for the audience to view a beautiful person as a bad guy (see Cersei), than it is for audiences to view a very ugly person - and man, is Tyrion ugly in the books! - as the good guy. With the scars he'll have from his injuries at the end of season 2, I think they minimized them because of how difficult it would have been to depict that (vs. to keep him looking better, I mean). It would have either been tons of makeup and appliances or CGI in post.

When you start to list Tyrion's features by book 3, it's not pretty: white blonde hair, blonde and black beard, mismatched eyes, jutting forehead, giant scar across his face and pretty much no nose. Yikes!

I love Ciaran Hinds, so I'm excited to see what he'll do as Mance. It's definitely a juicy part!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Out of curiosity, I checked the Wiki of Ice and Fire, since they usually have descriptions of characters and my memory isn't so good. Here's the description of Mance Rayder:

Mance Rayder - A Wiki of Ice and Fire

So, maybe Ciaran isn't quite as far from the physical description of Mance as we'd thought I wouldn't call Robert Carlyle a big man - he's actually quite small and wiry. Ciaran is only 6'1", but he's always seemed more imposing to me. I thought they were closer in age too, but Robert was born in 1961 and Ciaran in 1953.
    I frequently picture characters different from how they are described and this would be another instance. Might be because a character's appearance is usually only described once, upon first beholding, and not repeated. Or maybe my mind just makes what it thinks are superior choices. I was good on the age, at least.
    Last edited by CCL; 09-05-2012 at 10:47 PM.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    I frequently picture characters different from how they are described and this would be another instance. Might be because a character's appearance is usually only described once, upon first beholding, and not repeated. Or maybe my mind just makes what it thinks are superior choices. I was good on the age, at least.
    I do too. I think with Mance, some of the descriptions didn't come until later in the book(s), so we'd already had some time to formulate an idea in our minds of what he looks like.

I'm totally making drinks for season 3....or for those seasons 1 & 2 marathons (I'm in the middle of one right now):

I just have to decide which drinks I'll be making....
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

CCL

Nice. I misread coffee syrup as cough syrup there. Whatever keeps you up, nightwatchmen.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Yep, whatever keeps you warm!

I'd have a Beyond the Wall right now (and it's 6AM!), but the only vodka I have in the house is vanilla. Not so great with lemonade It is, however, excellent with root beer

Needle, Cersei's Poison and Blood of the Dragon all sound good to me too

I stand corrected! See, I really need to read these books again. Based on that wiki description, he is not that far off. I agree that the descriptions come early on and then as we read about the characters, our opinion of what they look like changes. That happened with me in The Hunger Games too. I just re-read them all since I just saw the movie on DVD and all the casting notices are coming out on the second film. I wanted to focus on the descriptions of people, knowing who has been cast. I actually think they are pretty close on all them, which was surprising, seeing some of the comments there. I think I just need to realize these people know what they are doing and stop commenting. God forbid I didn't have Kit Harrington to stare at (as Jon is only like 14 in the books)!!

I'm re-watching the series right now for the umpteenth time (yes, I know = ) and I just watched the scene in episode 7 where we meet Tywin for the first time. I've praised that scene before, but WOW, Charles Dance is incredible. That whole speech would have been great anyway, but the fact that he delivered it all while skinning that elk/deer just put it over the top. It tells you who he is and why his children are the way they are. Great scene and great introduction to that character.

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

The anticipation is going to KILL me after reading this!!

September 13, 2012

The Season 3 Battles Have Begun in Northern Ireland

Photo Credit: Helen Sloan

In the forests of Clandeboye, on a Wednesday afternoon in August, a man and his wife were walking their dog and heard the sound of a fight.

It was an important rehearsal, and the two main protagonists are two of my season favorites: an unexpected pairing, whose war of words is almost as full-on as the fight. This struggle has been choreographed and rehearsed for weeks, with each move carefully placed to match the terrain. The fighters wore pads and fell on crash matts, though for the close-ups later in the week, during the first night shoot of the season, the landing would not be quite so comfortable. It will be a character-defining scene, for more than one who is involved, so it has to be done well.

More departments began to arrive for a full run-through. VFX was involved in creating the final moments of the scene, and special effects had a lot to do to make it all work. Armoury had designed a special weapon for this scene alone, and there was a nervous moment when it was first tested against the wood of a massive tree stump and the body of one of our brave stunt guys.

The couple asked what was happening, and looked on for a while, but were gently guided toward the path. What happens next is too big a secret for anyone to know, and it certainly can’t be told by me.
    HBO - Making Game of Thrones - The Season 3 Battles Have Begun in Northern*Ireland
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

Based on that description, I'm going with a scene between Jamie and Brienne. Agree with you - can't wait!!

Game of Thrones kicked butt at the Creative Arts Emmys this weekend! The show won SIX Emmys - more than any other series! The show won for Art Direction, Costumes, Make-Up, Sound Editing, Sound Mixing and Visual Effects.

I'm rooting for the show to bring in at least one more Emmy this year. The Primetime Emmys are next Sunday (9/23) and Peter Dinklage and the show are nominated. IMO, this is the best show on TV and deserves to win. I KNOW that Peter should win. He was even better in season 2 than he was in season 1!

+ Reply to Thread