+ Reply to Thread
Page 53 of 87 FirstFirst ... 3434445464748495051525354555657585960616263 ... LastLast
Like Tree170Likes

Thread: Game of Thrones on HBO

Re: Game of Thrones on HBO

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    And just when I thought I couldn't be a BIGGER Peter Dinklage fan:
    Peter Dinklage '91 Addresses Bennington College's Class of 2012 - YouTube!

Re: the discussion upthread about seeing Coldhands in the finale. Where? Is the assumption that he's the hooded figure on the horse at the very end? I don't think that's him. Coldhands rides an elk, not a horse. Also,
    Click to see Spoiler:
    we don't see him until well into book 3 and I don't think he was aligned with the rest of the wights.

I guess they could change things, but I think that was probably just another wight.
    Yes, that's who I thought it was. It has since been pointed out to me that it couldn't have been, unless they are really going to change the story. Both because of the elk and because
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Coldhands wouldn't be riding with the wights. He was off on his own, so he certainly wouldn't be leading them!

But if that wasn't Coldhands, who was it? And why look at Sam and keep right on going? That never would have happened in the books!

Quote Originally Posted by short_lived View Post
    I finally caught up over the weekend. I thought after reading this thread I would be disappointed in the last few episodes, but I wasn't. No adaptation is perfect, but I thought this one was pretty good. It will be interesting to see where the next season leads.
    If I understand correctly, the next few seasons are going to be a bit strange for those who have read the books. I don't think this is a spoiler, but I want to be extra safe:
    Click to see Spoiler:
    I understand the producers have confirmed that elements of book 4 will be incorporated into the story next season. As if we didn't have enough to deal with just in splitting book 3, now they are splitting book 3 and already incorporating part of book 4, even though book 4 is really the companion to book 5??

I'm confused as to how this is all going to work. But definitely looking forward to it!!

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields View Post
    Theon's speech reminded me of the St. Crispin's Day speech in Henry V. "We few, we happy, we band of brothers" -

Henry V (play) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Theon's speech moved me in the same kind of way. Then, of course, its effect on the audience (compared to Henry's speech) made me chuckle. A welcome touch of dark comic relief - and well done!
    O.M.G. - I kid you not, I was thinking about that speech last night but in re: to the soundtrack that goes along with that scene. Weird! Sadly, Theon did not have the panache Kenneth Branagh/Henry did; there was no way he was convincing his men to die for/with him. Maybe that's why I laughed out loud when he got hit on the head - that never would've happened to Henry (or even William Wallace).

Quote Originally Posted by KatesMom View Post
    If I understand correctly, the next few seasons are going to be a bit strange for those who have read the books. I don't think this is a spoiler, but I want to be extra safe:
    Click to see Spoiler:
    I understand the producers have confirmed that elements of book 4 will be incorporated into the story next season. As if we didn't have enough to deal with just in splitting book 3, now they are splitting book 3 and already incorporating part of book 4, even though book 4 is really the companion to book 5??

I'm confused as to how this is all going to work. But definitely looking forward to it!!
    My guess would be that
    Click to see Spoiler:
    they will incorporate what happens on the iron islands into next season. What happens there really doesn't affect anything that happens elsewhere.
    Last edited by cantstopwatchin; 06-12-2012 at 10:49 PM. Reason: To prevent double post
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

HBO, producers apologize for ‘Game of Thrones’ scene depicting severed Bush head
    By Associated Press, Updated: Thursday, June 14, 1:03 PM

NEW YORK — HBO and producers of “Game of Thrones” apologized Thursday for a scene that depicted former President George W. Bush’s severed head on a spike.

The scene first aired last year and was repeated on a DVD release in March. But in a particularly bad piece of timing for HBO, stories about it spread online this week, when the network premiered a documentary on Bush’s father, former President George H.W. Bush.

Bush’s head was one of several on spikes in a scene where King Joffrey reveals to his fiancée the severed head of her father, who he had judged disloyal.

The former president’s features on the prosthetic head were partially obscured by long, scraggly hair and the picture flashes by quickly. But in a commentary included with the DVD, producers Dan Weiss and David Benioff pointed out the Bush head.

The producers said they often order prosthetic body parts in bulk for “Game of Thrones” because it can be too expensive to make new ones. It wasn’t until the scene was shot that someone pointed out the resemblance to Bush, they said.

Their DVD commentary mentioning the Bush head made its presence clear to any fans who might not have noticed it the first time around.

“We meant no disrespect to the former president and apologize if anything we said or did suggested otherwise,” the producers said in a statement.

HBO, in a statement issued by spokesman Quentin Schaffer, said it was dismayed to learn about the Bush head. “We find it unacceptable, disrespectful and in very bad taste,” the network said.

HBO said it has halted all further shipments of the DVD and removed reruns of the episode from its networks until the scene with the severed Bush head is edited out.
    HBO, producers apologize for ‘Game of Thrones’ scene depicting severed Bush head - The Washington Post

Okay, that is all kinds of awesome! Sorry, but I wouldn't be offended or insulted. I'd think it was freaking COOL! Kind of along the same lines as being a zombie on The Walking Dead or a dead body on CSI. Whether it was an honest mistake or not, I still think it's funny and don't think it was meant to be disrespectful or some kind of threat.

Maybe they should have checked first to see if he's a fan before they decided to edit the scene.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Okay, that is all kinds of awesome! Sorry, but I wouldn't be offended or insulted. I'd think it was freaking COOL! Kind of along the same lines as being a zombie on The Walking Dead or a dead body on CSI. Whether it was an honest mistake or not, I still think it's funny and don't think it was meant to be disrespectful or some kind of threat.

Maybe they should have checked first to see if he's a fan before they decided to edit the scene.
    I thought it was funny also, and I completely believed that they just use the materials they have on hand and didn't intend to insult. I NEVER would have recognized that head as Bush if it hadn't been reported in news like this.

HBO, producers apologize for ‘Game of Thrones’ scene depicting severed Bush head - The Washington Post

Maybe they shouldn't have pointe it out in the DVD commentary. No one would have ever noticed.
    Duxxy likes this.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

I think it's hilarious! Now I have to go look for the scene and see if I can get a screen cap
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

ok really the fuss is about this?

cantstopwatchin likes this.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Bush head in ‘Game of Thrones’ reveals Hollywood’s violent leftism - NYPOST.com

With the wig on you can even tell who it is. The article that accompanies this photo is way off.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Mother Jones has some great GoT "attack ads". There's one for Daeny, Joffery, and Rob each. They're quite clever. Game of Thrones Attack Ads | Mother Jones

+ Reply to Thread