+ Reply to Thread
Page 51 of 87 FirstFirst ... 414243444546474849505152535455565758596061 ... LastLast
Like Tree173Likes

Thread: Game of Thrones on HBO

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Re: Game of Thrones on HBO

Quote Originally Posted by FireWoman View Post
    I think I am the only person watching that has NOT read that books, and will not till this is all over. I know the books, I know most of the characters and their book story-lines.. but I want to enjoy this show for what it is and not be watching and saying to my self.. or my BF as he watches with me... thats not exactly how it happened. I know the differences but I think not reading them first has allowed me to really embrace the show for what it is and love it on its own. I will read them at some point lol.
    I read 90% of the first book (GRRM's writing style is not for me) and knew what was coming for the first season. I find I'm enjoying the second season much more not "checking off" events, and just letting the TV show version of the story unfold. Everyone has their own way of enjoying the show.

I don't have to willpower to NOT read the books (and that's pretty much true in any situation). In this case, it would be torture, since the show - if it covers the entire book series - could last maybe 10 seasons. If they're breaking book 3 into two seasons, what are the odds that the subsequent books won't get the same treatment? I'm too impatient to wait almost a year to find out more of the story, much less 5 or six or more!

I love the show, but the books are better. For the most part, my little quibbles with the story are all about budget and the limitations of TV. I think most of the changes that have been made have been a result of a TV budget (even if it is HBO) and the fact that the books have SO many characters. I mean, the lists at the back of the books, by house, keep getting longer and longer! The story they've changed the most is Dany's and hers - particularly in book 2 - was pretty scant. I think there was a lot of exposition in her story, but not much happened. I don't mind anyway, because hers is one of my least favorite stories. I also understand them having to show how Robb met Jeyne (I don't remember her name on the show) because there's really no lead-in to her appearance in the books.

As long as Benioff and Weiss don't start thinking they know better than GRRM (ahem, Alan Ball, I'm looking at you!) and decide to really change the story, I'll be fine. I'm hopeful that they won't change the trajectories of characters, since the book series is building to something really specific and they know what it is.
    elk, mindy384 and cantstopwatchin like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

After Blackwater was over HBO said that they are repeating episodes 1 - 9 of season 2 during the week to prep everyone for the finale. I can't seem to find a schedule and I did check on HBO. Anyone know?
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    After Blackwater was over HBO said that they are repeating episodes 1 - 9 of season 2 during the week to prep everyone for the finale. I can't seem to find a schedule and I did check on HBO. Anyone know?
    This should help:

Game of Thrones Schedule - TV Listings | LocateTV
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

HBOZone is airing the entire season right now. They started last night airing the first 9 episodes back-to-back. The whole season starts again at noon PST and finishes with the season finale
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Thanks, I got most of what I needed taped. Does everyone know that tonight's finales is 70 minutes long. Yes, that is 10 extra minutes tonight.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl View Post
    I read 90% of the first book (GRRM's writing style is not for me) and knew what was coming for the first season. I find I'm enjoying the second season much more not "checking off" events, and just letting the TV show version of the story unfold. Everyone has their own way of enjoying the show.
    I absolutely love the books. Also liked the first season of the show, but I think I would have had a hard time keeping it all staight and none of it would have meant as much without the books. Watching the first few episodes of the series caused me to get the books back out again. I'm looking forward to season 2 coming out on DVD so I can finally see it, but even if I never did, the books are still better for me.
    If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men. - St. Francis of Assisi

Poor Theon, he gets no respect. *THWACK* "I thought he'd never shut up." I'll admit, I gave a little snort.

Kudos for TPTB for keeping that Jason Momoa cameo secret! I read an interview with Weiss and Benioff after the show and they were surprised it didn't get out. They shot it in, I think, Dublin, and he's sort of hard to miss.

Maester Luwin I was already emotional over Tyrion and Shae, but that pushed me over the edge. Him talking about bringing Rickon and Bran into the world and then asking Osha to kill him.

Stupid Robb What an idiot. I want to smack him myself.

I was okay with Dany's story in this episode. As long as we're done with Qarth, I'm happy. Not one of my favorite parts of her story. The dragons with their little adoring faces! SO cute!

Finally we see the White Walkers again! A bit different from the book, but more dramatic on screen, I think. They weren't as clear about Jon killing Quorin as they were in the book. In the book, doesn't he literally tell Jon to kill him in order to prove himself and infiltrate the Wildlings? Here, he just said to do what needs to be done. A bit more nebulous.

Weiss and Benioff are signed on officially as show runners for 2 more seasons. That doesn't mean that season 4 is definite OR that they'd leave after season 4, but it's a nice vote of confidence, I think.

Now begins the countdown until next season!

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

See, now i wasn't shocked at seeing Jason Momoa.. I recall hearing/reading somewhere that he would be back one more time.. and if I am recalling correctly, it was Jason himself that said it. As soon as I saw him I said to my self, Ahh there he is. I will say even with out being shocked that he was there.. the scene itself was touching. I don't want to like Dani, but I do so much, maybe its because of the baby dragons lol.

And Yes Crit, I too snorted when Alfie got thwacked.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

I know that Jason said at ComicCon last year that he wanted to come back, but the producers shot him down. Maybe that's what you're thinking of? The producers admitted they were surprised that it hadn't gotten out in the media. If Jason said that in an interview, no one picked up on it because it wasn't on any of the spoiler sites!

+ Reply to Thread