+ Reply to Thread
Page 50 of 87 FirstFirst ... 404142434445464748495051525354555657585960 ... LastLast
Like Tree173Likes

Thread: Game of Thrones on HBO

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Re: Game of Thrones on HBO

I thought it was a good episode but I've liked some others much better. Maybe I was just too soured by the wildfire blowing everything up and then the water battle was deemed over so darn quickly, I don't know, but I was disappointed. DH, OTOH, loved it and couldn't stop talking about it the next day at the family get-together so at least one of us liked the battle...

That said, I loved everything that wasn't the fighting. I've always loved Tyrion and Peter D and I think GRRM really made him shine in this epi. Actually, I think he did a great job at making everyone shine this epi, and we got very clear insight into each of the characters. I only wish I could like Shaye more...

Critical, your Princess Bride reference was spot on. Love that scene and it described Joffrey perfectly!
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

OMG! Season 3's character list has been revealed. Some characters we've been wondering about will finally appear.
    Click at your own risk, there might be light spoilers.

'Game of Thrones' scoop: Season 3 character list revealed | Inside TV | EW.com

OMG, that list makes me SO happy! There were several characters from book 2 that were left out of this season that I was really sad about losing. I'm so happy we'll see them next season! Thanks for the link, DR!

From that article:
    Benioff says. “It’s important to point out that that we have the largest cast on television right now. We introduced dozens of new characters in season two. If you hurl 300 characters at an audience, the story collapses under the weight of too many faces, too many names, and too many subplots. We need to be just as mindful of the audience members who have never read the books as we are of the readers; the series will fail if we only appeal to those who already know the characters. So we try to be parsimonious about how many new roles we introduce to the story and when we introduce them.”
    Okay, okay, fair enough.

While losing some of those characters may just have changed the story a bit - like how Lollys was not used and Shae was made Sansa's servant instead - losing
    Click to see Spoiler:
    the Reeds would have dramatically changed Bran's storyline, imo. I was trying to imagine them taking Rickon north of the Wall. He wouldn't be anything but a hindrance. I can't wait to see the Reeds!

I figured we'd eventually see Selyse and Shireen because they end up at the Wall in book 5, but I'm glad we'll see them sooner. I've been imagining Shireen's face and what the greyscale will look like. I can't wait to see what the makeup dept comes up with!

I wonder if Daario will have blue hair!

One of the things I loved about "Blackwater" was the pacing. If it had been ALL battle, I think it would have been too much. I liked the balance between the battle scenes and then the exposition we got with Cersei and Sansa inside with the high born women.

That shot of Bronn shooting the arrow against the backdrop of King's Landing was spectacular!
    elk likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Thanks, DesertRose! Everyone listed has a pretty substantial role in the books, so I would have been really surprised if they didn't show up at some point. That being said, the ones Critical mentions are the ones I was most looking forward to and hoping they would show up at some point!

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Thank you, Desert Rose, for sending the list. Although it's a year away, I'm so excited and can't wait!!

Click to see Spoiler:
    I love how they didn't keep us in suspense about the Reeds, putting that as the first sentence, and I'm also really looking forward to seeing the Queen of Thorns. She's a crafty one.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

CCL

Yay at the season 3 characters!
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Yay! I'm very happy to see some of those names
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

I was reading comments about the show on some site (wish I could remember which one) and someone wrote that they just started reading the books and are really enjoying them. Then they said that reading the books is like reading fan fiction for the show. *facepalm*

I can't wait for the season finale, but I'm sad too because that means we'll have another 10 months until season 3 Yep, sorry. I went there.
    Last edited by Critical; 05-29-2012 at 10:56 PM.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

I think I am the only person watching that has NOT read that books, and will not till this is all over. I know the books, I know most of the characters and their book story-lines.. but I want to enjoy this show for what it is and not be watching and saying to my self.. or my BF as he watches with me... thats not exactly how it happened. I know the differences but I think not reading them first has allowed me to really embrace the show for what it is and love it on its own. I will read them at some point lol.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

Quote Originally Posted by FireWoman View Post
    I think I am the only person watching that has NOT read that books, and will not till this is all over. I know the books, I know most of the characters and their book story-lines.. but I want to enjoy this show for what it is and not be watching and saying to my self.. or my BF as he watches with me... thats not exactly how it happened. I know the differences but I think not reading them first has allowed me to really embrace the show for what it is and love it on its own. I will read them at some point lol.
    Good for you, FireWoman! As I mentioned above, that has been the hardest part for me. Since I did read the books and know what is coming, I hate some of the changes they have made. For some, I'm not sure how it will affect the story later on as to the growth of certain characters and the journey they take. Jon is a big one here, as is Dany. I am not completely thrilled with the changes they have made to their stories, and the potential ramifications of it. But I know these writers know how the story ends, so they probably know something we don't as to where these two characters ultimately end up - which makes the changes they have made now to their stories all work in the end.

+ Reply to Thread