+ Reply to Thread
Page 49 of 87 FirstFirst ... 394041424344454647484950515253545556575859 ... LastLast
Like Tree169Likes

Thread: Game of Thrones on HBO

CCL

Re: Game of Thrones on HBO

Paraphrasing of Joffrey's conversation with Lancel:

Lancel: Your mother sent me.
    Joffrey: Did she say what she wants? It must be important. (hint, hint)
    Lancel: Not really.
    Joffrey: I must go at once - it sounds like an emergency! (flounces off)

Oh, Joffrey.

I loved Sansa this episode. When she told Tyrion that she would pray for him as she does for the king...and the look on his face...ah. And her interactions with Cersei were great, not to mention the scene with the Hound.

Click to see Spoiler:
    . They have to have Davos live.
    Tyrion has never really got his due battle-wise on the show. No respect for him. But at least he gets to keep his nose.

I read elsewhere that it was one of the kings guard who tried to kill Tyrion?
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Best episode of any TV show ever!! It had action,drama and even humour.I forgot I was watching a TV show.Man it's going to suck when the season ends.
    Duxxy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    Paraphrasing of Joffrey's conversation with Lancel:

Lancel: Your mother sent me.
    Joffrey: Did she say what she wants? It must be important. (hint, hint)
    Lancel: Not really.
    Joffrey: I must go at once - it sounds like an emergency! (flounces off)

Oh, Joffrey.

I loved Sansa this episode. When she told Tyrion that she would pray for him as she does for the king...and the look on his face...ah. And her interactions with Cersei were great, not to mention the scene with the Hound.

Click to see Spoiler:
    . They have to have Davos live.
    Tyrion has never really got his due battle-wise on the show. No respect for him. But at least he gets to keep his nose.

I read elsewhere that it was one of the kings guard who tried to kill Tyrion?
    It was Ser Mandon Moore....or someone wearing his armor. When Joffrey turned tail and ran, he told Ser Mandon to stay with Tyrion and represent his king on the field of battle. That's why Tyrion smiled and looked relived when he saw him. Now we wait to see if they reveal who it was that told him to kill Tyrion.In the book (and I don't remember that they did reveal it) it would most likely be Cersei, but on the show, it would probably be Joffrey. They seem to be making her into more of a horror-struck bystander where Joffrey is concerned, rather than his biggest fan.

In that scene where Joffrey flees, I imagine him lifting his "skirts" and running off like Christopher Sarandon in The Princess Bride.
    2boysmom and elk like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

CCL

Thanks. I didn't remember that from the books.

at the Princess Bride image going through my head now.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    Thanks. I didn't remember that from the books.

at the Princess Bride image going through my head now.
    In the books the attack from Ser Mandon happens down on the water - on that sort of makeshift bridge that was created by all the sinking ships - and Tyrion almost drowns. Pod did also save him in the books. Go Poddrick! The actor playing him is much bigger than I imagined Pod to be. I always pictured a skinny, slight boy, which made his killing of Ser Mandon even more heroic. TV Pod looks like a big, overfed farm boy.

Watching this episode, I kept thinking how much fun the makeup department must have had with this one!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

I'm a bit late to the conversation because I time shift GoT and kind of missed the last half hour due to sleepiness last night. But I re-watched tonight, and hell's bells, that was an excellent battle on film; I know they have budget restrictions (they don't want to get priced out like Rome did) but you couldn't tell.

I'm not saying I "like" Cersei but this episode was great for understanding where she comes from. You get her pathos in her conversations with Sansa--the idea that if she were born a male, she'd be out there kicking ass and taking names, but by fate of her gender, she's stuck cowering with all the other noble women. We knew from last season, Robert wasn't particularly kind or loving...he was just a brute, ready with a hand to smack her upside the head. As much as I wouldn't trust her further than I could throw her, I think she was hitting Sansa with a world of truth.

Crit, the Prince Humperdinck image with Joffrey is perfect! And I do love Tywin...okay he's a bad guy, but Charles Dance does command a scene. That was a great ending to a great episdoe, though I still kinda wanted to see what was going on elsewhere. I guess they can't be 2 hour episodes, after all.

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    In the books the attack from Ser Mandon happens down on the water - on that sort of makeshift bridge that was created by all the sinking ships - and Tyrion almost drowns. Pod did also save him in the books. Go Poddrick! The actor playing him is much bigger than I imagined Pod to be. I always pictured a skinny, slight boy, which made his killing of Ser Mandon even more heroic. TV Pod looks like a big, overfed farm boy.

Watching this episode, I kept thinking how much fun the makeup department must have had with this one!
    Ok, yes, that (the near-drowning) is ringing a bell. Thanks Critical.

I didnt realize that Podrick is a relative (albeit distant) of the executioner, Ilyn Payne. Kind do interesting.

He is a nephew, I think (Pod). I'm just finishing up re-reading the first book, and he was just introduced.

About Davos:
    Click to see Spoiler:
    I'm sure he will survive. In the book, yes it was the chain, but then he was thrown into the water and surfaced on an outcropping of rock. I'm sure the same thing will happen here - since we saw his ship explode and him thrown into the water.

I was also bummed about Tyrion in the fighting scene. In the book, it is much clearer that he really rallys the troops when Joffrey and The Hound both desert. He leads them in and is right in the thick of the fighting until he is cut down. I really feel like that was not shown here.

I was also impressed with Cersei. I thought this episode actually kept her truer to the book. That whole rant with Sansa as it is obvious she is drunk is pretty much right out of the book - so I appreciated that they kept that true (right down to Ser Ilyn Payne being there to kill them, should they lose).
    Duxxy likes this.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

What a fun drunk Cersie is. Who knew? She was a hair's breadth away from killing Tommen and herself when her Dad strut in. Guess she was too drunk to keep score.
    cantstopwatchin likes this.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields View Post
    What a fun drunk Cersie is. Who knew? She was a hair's breadth away from killing Tommen and herself when her Dad strut in. Guess she was too drunk to keep score.
    Yeah, that was in the books too. I really wish GRRM could write/direct more episodes. I know he is involved, but the episodes written by him are just closer to the look and feel of the books! I know it is only an adaptation, and generally they do a good job. But they do change things that I don't think are for the better - and sometimes there isn't even a reason for doing it! I do enjoy the shows and if I hadn't read the books, I probably wouldn't have any complaints. But since I have, I do realize that I am constantly comparing - mostly for the stuff that was so important and good in the books not being translated with at least the same feeling in the shows. Dany's story is the big one here - I am still totally ticked with the kidnapped dragons story. Seriously, that was the best they could come up with to get her to the House of the Undying??!!

+ Reply to Thread