+ Reply to Thread
Page 46 of 80 FirstFirst ... 363738394041424344454647484950515253545556 ... LastLast
Like Tree127Likes

Thread: Game of Thrones on HBO

Re: Game of Thrones on HBO

Quote Originally Posted by tbamom View Post
    Ah, thanks I was planning on her marrying the blacksmith.
    Again, putting this in spoilers:

Click to see Spoiler:
    I don't think so, unless the end of the story takes a huge turn from where it is right now at the end of book 5. They are a continent apart and she hasn't seen him since, I think book 3 - when she leaves with The Hound. Nope, her purpose is murder. The real question is - who?!!

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields View Post
    I doubt that those men, who worship him, would stop respecting him for not arresting his mother. Especially in that they all know what the widow of Ned Stark has been through. They also hold her in high esteem.

It occurs to me that perhaps he did it to insure her safety? I don't know that it's common knowledge that she was the "liberator," though.
    Yes, they hold her in high esteem, because she is king's mother. But the king has to dole out justice and he has to do it equally. There are not exceptions for family members. Actually, I will take that back - because if it had been anyone else, she would have been killed/beheaded.

CCL

Robb has been through the same as his mother - she lost her husband, he lost his father. She worries about her other children and their fates; he is surely concerned about his siblings. Why should her wants (releasing Jamie) trump his (keeping him as leverage/for punishment)? Especially considering that he is the putative ruler and Jaime was his prisoner, not hers, to deal with. Plus it is rather stupid of her to think that releasing Jamie in itself is enough... it makes no sense to not send him back under armed guard and with some assurances that they would be getting back Arya and Sansa in return.

Regarding Arya
    Click to see Spoiler:
    I could see her ending up with Gendry. Yes, as of book five, she is on a different continent, but there is no reason to think she won't ever be back in Westeros. I think both her and Gendry have a role to play in Westeros, and it could very well be together.
    cantstopwatchin likes this.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

As to your spoiler, CCL, yes, I could potentially see that. But,

Click to see Spoiler:
    the only reason that gives me pause is because of what she is training to be. I guess I don't see her going through that and then just getting married, having babies and settling down with Gendry. But I guess her ending up with him does not necessarily mean they settle down to a little domestic life!!

CCL

Click to see Spoiler:
    The mere idea of Arya as a mother. I can't remember if her becoming part of the assassins' troupe was permanent/irrevocable ie do they join for life or are they free to leave?
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I thought
    Click to see Spoiler:
    they were free to leave whenever they wanted. The guy who's training her always asks her if she wants to leave - to test her dedication. Although now that I say that, she is only in training. Once she moves on, maybe it is a lifetime thing?

I seem to remember that
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Arya was free to go, up to a point. If she committed to becoming part of the Guild of Faceless Men, I thought the Kindly Man said she couldn't leave.

I just watched the preview for "Blackwater" again. I cannot wait to finally se Tyrion in a battle. I've been waiting for this since season 1 when they changed the battle and had Tyrion get knocked out right at the beginning. The producers have said they had to change that battle for budgetary reasons, but it still bummed me out. Tyrion is so much braver - and smarter - in the books!

I watched the last episode again (because, yes, I am a total dork for this show) and I love that scene with Tyrion and Varys even more! We don't often see Varys relaxed and being himself. So many characters in King's Landing wear masks to protect themselves. Varys seems to know that he can trust Tyrion, at least up to a point.
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Maybe my feelings about Varys are colored by the fact that I know all of the good things he does in the books, but I think I'd still like him at this point regardless

Clearly, I'm going to have to read the books again before next season!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I seem to remember that
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Arya was free to go, up to a point. If she committed to becoming part of the Guild of Faceless Men, I thought the Kindly Man said she couldn't leave.

I just watched the preview for "Blackwater" again. I cannot wait to finally se Tyrion in a battle. I've been waiting for this since season 1 when they changed the battle and had Tyrion get knocked out right at the beginning. The producers have said they had to change that battle for budgetary reasons, but it still bummed me out. Tyrion is so much braver - and smarter - in the books!

I watched the last episode again (because, yes, I am a total dork for this show) and I love that scene with Tyrion and Varys even more! We don't often see Varys relaxed and being himself. So many characters in King's Landing wear masks to protect themselves. Varys seems to know that he can trust Tyrion, at least up to a point.
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Maybe my feelings about Varys are colored by the fact that I know all of the good things he does in the books, but I think I'd still like him at this point regardless

Clearly, I'm going to have to read the books again before next season!
    Good to know. I wasn't sure Varys was to be trusted.
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

Quote Originally Posted by tbamom View Post
    Good to know. I wasn't sure Varys was to be trusted.
    Oh, I don't think anyone in King's Landing can really be trusted!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    Robb has been through the same as his mother - she lost her husband, he lost his father. She worries about her other children and their fates; he is surely concerned about his siblings. Why should her wants (releasing Jamie) trump his (keeping him as leverage/for punishment)? Especially considering that he is the putative ruler and Jaime was his prisoner, not hers, to deal with. Plus it is rather stupid of her to think that releasing Jamie in itself is enough... it makes no sense to not send him back under armed guard and with some assurances that they would be getting back Arya and Sansa in return.
    I agree that Catlyn's freeing of Jamie was stupid, a desparate attempt of a mother on behalf of her daughters. I don't agree that she and Robb have suffered the same loss. Siblings are not offspring. And she is revered because Ned was, not Robb. She was held in esteem long before Ned was executed. And she has been held as a virtual prisoner by the civil war (and her son) for quite a while now. He should have sent her to her sister's mountain palace in exile. I doubt there would have been any loss of face in that decision, given her nobility. The fact that she's loyal to ALL of her children would be understood, I think.

Robb impresses me as being rather didactic and a bit dense. I think he (and his mother) are going to die as a result of this war, a war of his making. I imagine some of his siblings will, too. He would have done better to ally with Stannis with the North's secession as part of the pact. He doesn't want to be ruler of the seven kingdoms, just the North. And JMO.
    cantstopwatchin likes this.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

+ Reply to Thread