+ Reply to Thread
Page 41 of 87 FirstFirst ... 313233343536373839404142434445464748495051 ... LastLast
Like Tree169Likes

Thread: Game of Thrones on HBO

Re: Game of Thrones on HBO

I had to add spoiler tags to a few items in your post, Katesmom. A few of the things you mentioned were a bit spoilery

I don't know that they even planned to include so many scenes with Tywin and Arya together from the beginning. I'd guess that they saw how really great Maisie Williams and Charles Dance are and decided to add those scenes. Those scenes are one of the good byproducts of book characters being eliminated from the show....and as a huge fan of the books, I don't think there aren't many of those! I think they've done a great job of adding some of the expository info from the books - although there's A LOT more they could add - without it feeling awkward. Of course Arya would admire Rhaenys Targeryen.

I don't think Tywin is much of a presence in book 2, but Charles Dance is so fantastic. The first scene we ever saw him in - the one where he skins that animal (deer? elk?) while lecturing Jaime - is SO powerful and compelling, even though, yuck, skinning an animal. It so completely captured who Tywin is.

Jaime! I so missed him. He's deliciously bad. That "Dead Ned" line was vicious and great! I loved his little bit about how it's a good thing he was born who he is because he can't do anything else. Even while he's tied to a post and sitting in his own, well, you know, he's still the same Jaime.

I'm okay with the producers making small changes to the books, as long as they don't change the fates of major characters by killing them off or NOT killing them. We've had some minor characters die on the show who live on in the books - the blood rider than Khal Drogo killed in season 1 and Dany's handmaiden who died last week are two - but none of that really affects major plot lines. I just don't want to see them kill someone MAJOR who lives in the books just to keep book readers on their toes OR save someone who dies for the same (or any) reason.

I think even people who were upset when Ned, Drogo or Robert (or all three) died can see now that those deaths were necessary to propel the other characters along. I'm hopeful that GRRM's involvement in the series will keep the producers from changing the plot too much.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Sorry, Critical! On Jamie - I actually thought last night's episode was a good one to start to see who he really is. His comments about all the vows and what to do when they don't line up. He lives with being called the Kingslayer and everyone loves to throw it in his face. Yet have we ever heard even one person on the show defend the king he killed as being anything other than mad, sadistic or tyranical??!! And then the reality that he has only ever been with Cersei - for good or bad, he loves her.

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    "You know nothing, Jon Snow." How long have we been waiting to hear that!?
    Totally.

Even though none of it was in the books, I LOVE the scenes with Arya and Tywin. It's a testament to two terrific actors and
    good writing. It's a nice way to bring in some exposition about this history of the kingdom, especially the Targaryens, in an interesting way.

I've actually found the scenes between Tywin and Arya a bit same-y. Good point about the exposition.
    ETA: I forgot to mention Quaithe before. That mask is amazing! The actress, Laura Pradelska, doesn't look how I imagined she would with the mask off, but her eyes are incredible.
    I actually find the mask really annoying. It sits a bit low ...the mouth part is below her real mouth and the eye holes are too low down...I keep wanting to pull it back a bit.

I don't recall the coup in Quarth -was that in the book? I really need to re-read them.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    I don't recall the coup in Quarth -was that in the book? I really need to re-read them.
    Neither do I. I also don't remember a plot by Xanos to become "King of Quarth". At this point, I expect that it is just part of the changes they are making to propel Danerys toward the House of the Undying.

I really do like the scenes with Arya and Tywin. They work well together and they are one of the few places where we get exposition without nudity! This week I loved how he corrected her error ("my lord" vs mi'lord), and she just came right back with a different explanation.

There are so many major events left and so few episodes. How are they going to fit it all in!?

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    Neither do I. I also don't remember a plot by Xanos to become "King of Quarth". At this point, I expect that it is just part of the changes they are making to propel Danerys toward the House of the Undying.

I really do like the scenes with Arya and Tywin. They work well together and they are one of the few places where we get exposition without nudity! This week I loved how he corrected her error ("my lord" vs mi'lord), and she just came right back with a different explanation.

There are so many major events left and so few episodes. How are they going to fit it all in!?
    Since I read the first 4 books all in a row in about 2 weeks, it's hard for me to remember what happened in which book. I keep thinking certain things happened in book 2 and then, when I look it up on the Wiki page for the book series, I find that event I'm thinking of actually happened in book 3.

I have a feeling that a few things from book 3 will happen this season, not only because book 3 is SO jam-packed (even if they split it into 2 seasons), but so we see the characters we don't see much of in the second book. If one of those characters is Jaime, I'll be happy. I enjoyed everything that happened with him from here on out.

You're right - none of this King of Qarth stuff with Xaro happened in the book. Frankly, after reading the series twice, Dany's story has become my least favorite, so it's the story I'd be least upset about them making little changes to. As long as the basic plot is the same, I'm okay with small changes.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

You know nothing, Jon Snow! - I wasn't necessarily a fan of the actress playing Ygrette but she won me over simply by saying that line! It was exactly as I'd imagined it when I read it.

I'm so over Dany's storyline and think even the poor actress looks as tired as the story is... The only thing that keeps me from completely tuning out is where she's headed next. I'd much prefer to see more Tywin/Arya action. She's a quick thinker on her feet and they're setting her up perfectly for her future.

Cersei & Tyrion's talk reminded me of the talk she had with Robert before he died - it gave us some clear insight into what she was thinking, though I think it goes completely against the "book Cersei". Never in a million years would "book Cersei" have told Sansa the only people she should love are her children and not Joffrey. Everything was about Joffrey for "book Cersei"...

I'm going to put the next thought in spoilers -

Click to see Spoiler:
    I was really hoping the Reeds would be at the farm when Bran's crew arrived. I knew they needed the two boys but was hoping they'd be there as well, maybe Jojen saying he knew they'd arrive. Oh well. They have to show up some time - I'm keeping the faith! Sidenote - it was SO HARD not to answer DH truthfully when he asked about the burned bodies but I didn't want to give it away. Let Catelyn's madness begin!
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

Borrowed from a FB friend:

This doesn't bode well for The Hound....
    elk likes this.

Again I play hide and seek with this series so I do miss important bits of info. I don't get the expression on the guy who took over Winterfell in the very last scene were they showed the hanged burned bodies. He looked shocked, surprised and even a little sick. Why?
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Theon grew up at Winterfell. Bran and Rickon were like brothers to him. He's obviously conflicted about what he's been doing.

I'm sorry but Theon is acting like an idiot. All this to please his daddy? It's like he can't be his own man. Needs to grow up.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread