+ Reply to Thread
Page 40 of 87 FirstFirst ... 303132333435363738394041424344454647484950 ... LastLast
Like Tree173Likes

Thread: Game of Thrones on HBO

Re: Game of Thrones on HBO

Her father was a lord. Things were much different in Winterfell than they are in King's Landing. For the most part, she's been cloistered away (aka held hostage) during most of her time in King's Landing, so she really hasn't had much contact with reality.They definitely don't let her walk the streets of the city. Because she was relatively isolated up in Winterfell, she was allowed to not think about harsh realities. Arya was much more interested in the real world. Sansa wanted to embroider pretty things and marry her prince.

Plus, we know that she thinks Joffrey is a monster, but it was probably a shock to learn than lots of common people feel the same. I think when you live as the betrothed of the king and have servants at your beck and call it is a shock when those horrible harsh realities intrude. She's prone to being all airy fairy anyway and she's definitely not used to taking care of herself. Tyrion and the Hound notwithstanding, she doesn't really have a protector. I think her rude awakening is happening in stages.

I enjoyed Tyrion slapping Joffrey in this last episode just as much as I enjoyed the multiple slaps in season 1. IMO, Joffrey really can't be slapped enough.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I think I am being to understand the Sansa disconnect, isn't she only about 11 or so in the beginning of the books and yet the actress playing her looks to be about 15 or so? That would explain so much.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

The last we heard, Sansa still had not reached menarche, the "blossoming" of womanhood. She is still a very naive girl who is no way prepared to understand political/palace intrigues and civil war.

But we see certain realities dawning on her. It's going to be hearbreaking when she finds out about Winterfell.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I enjoyed Tyrion slapping Joffrey in this last episode just as much as I enjoyed the multiple slaps in season 1. IMO, Joffrey really can't be slapped enough.
    I concur wholeheartedly!!
    Duxxy likes this.

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields View Post

I think Osha is beautiful, too, but I can't seem to stop thinking of her as Tonk in Harry Potter.
    She will always be the girl from About a Boy to me.

Favorite scene was Arya's insistence that Jaqen get a move on with regards to the second killing.

The deviations from the book are interesting. They haven't peeved me in the way, say, the Harry Potter vanquishing
    Voldemort scene in the movie did, but I did find myself drawn out of the story a bit when Dany's dragons got stolen. I don't remember that happening at all. As for the Reeds, I don't think they will show up as they haven't cast the roles. At least not this season. I suspect they are going to jettison the roles permanently and have Osha's and Rickon's roles expand in turn.
    Last edited by CCL; 05-10-2012 at 12:45 AM.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    I think I am being to understand the Sansa disconnect, isn't she only about 11 or so in the beginning of the books and yet the actress playing her looks to be about 15 or so? That would explain so much.
    Yep Sansa in the books is supposed to be 13 when the books start, so she'd maybe be 14 at this point, but not that much time has passed on the show. Sophie Turner is 16.

CCL = I remember Natalie Tena from About a Boy too! That's the first thing I ever saw her in.

Yeah, did NOT like Dany's dragons being taken. I love the show, but I don't think they need to change things for more drama - the story is dramatic enough on the page!
    Duxxy likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

My 4-book set is on its way from Amazon. By the time Season 3 comes around I will probably have finished them. I am thinking that they'll help with my GoT withdrawal pangs when this season if over.
    Duxxy, elk and cantstopwatchin like this.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

"You know nothing, Jon Snow." How long have we been waiting to hear that!?

Rose Leslie has totally won me over, although she's still awfully well-groomed for a wildling. The scenes north of the Wall are stunning! Iceland is SO much better than a green screen!

Even though none of it was in the books, I LOVE the scenes with Arya and Tywin. It's a testament to two terrific actors and good writing. It's a nice way to bring in some exposition about this history of the kingdom, especially the Targaryens, in an interesting way.

They've definitely made Cersei a more sympathetic character. I don't think she EVER apologized for her wretched son in the books or even acknowledged (to anyone but herself) that he was wretched. I enjoyed the scene with Cersei and Tyrion, although you could see her ready to recoil from him at the end of that scene. They still don't trust each other....and rightly so.

Poor Theon. He just can't make a move that doesn't make people hate him more.

Can't wait for next week!

ETA: I forgot to mention Quaithe before. That mask is amazing! The actress, Laura Pradelska, doesn't look how I imagined she would with the mask off, but her eyes are incredible.
    Last edited by Critical; 05-14-2012 at 01:55 AM.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Even though none of it was in the books, I LOVE the scenes with Arya and Tywin. It's a testament to two terrific actors and good writing. It's a nice way to bring in some exposition about this history of the kingdom, especially the Targaryens, in an interesting way.
    That wasn't in the books?!?! For me, it's the best part of the show. Their interaction (and you can see the cat & mouse game in Arya's head, which I ascribed to her teaching from her fencing teacher) is the highlight of the show.

I like Arya and the actress who plays her. She and Kiernan Shipka should pair up for a sisters show.
    Duxxy likes this.

I got to see both last week's episode and this one while on vacation. I was not a huge fan of last week's episode - mostly because of the dragons being taken, which I agree did not happen in the books. I think it was CSW who said it was a set up for the House of the Undying - and we got that confirmation last night, since that's where they appear to be!

Click to see Spoiler:
    I actually wonder if the Reeds will be cast for next season. I guess Osha and Rickon could go along, but that seems to go way far astray from the story. And obviously Bran and Hodor can't go by themselves. I wonder if either Lurwin will go with them, or the Reeds will be cast and they will meet them along the way?

Definitely happy to see Jamie again last night - "Is that a woman?!" Can't wait for what is to come with these two!!

Agree with everyone on Arya. I agree that the conversations with Tywin provide good background. It just seems so against who both these characters are in the book. Especially when he gave Arya the food last night - that was a little bit over the top!
    Last edited by Critical; 05-14-2012 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Adding spoiler tags

+ Reply to Thread