+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 87 FirstFirst ... 293031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Like Tree173Likes

Thread: Game of Thrones on HBO

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Re: Game of Thrones on HBO

My son gave me a copy of artwork book for the game Guild Wars 2. The similarity between GoT's artwork and GW2's is astonishing.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

With all the nudity on this show, I was surprised that Dany didn't wear a traditional Qartheen gown. We already know Emilia Clarke doesn't have a problem with nudity!

I think someone upthread likened this season to a roller coaster. We just crested over the top and are headed down! It's going to get REALLY good from here on out!

ETA: I had to add - I MISS JAIME! We haven't seen him since episode 1 this season. Since I first read all four books right in a row (and probably read book 2 in a day), I forgot how little we see of Jaime for quite a bit of book 2. Hopefully we'll see him soon!
    Last edited by Critical; 05-06-2012 at 12:45 AM.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Hopefully we'll see more of Jaqen H'ghar cause Tom Wlaschiha is a major babe.Two words yum-my

I loved Arya even more in this episode! The look on Jaquen when she ordered him to kill Amory NOW was hilarious, as was the subsequent death of Amory!

I missed Jojen and Meera in this episode. When Osha walked into the room with Theon I just rolled my eyes and commented that this was how they were going to cram some nudity into this episode.

I surprised no one has commented on this turn with Dany's dragons being stolen. I'm 99.9% sure that I'm not crazy and this didn't happen in the book. Every time something like this happens I find that I start second guessing myself! I'm guessing they are using it as a set up for:
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Her visit to (and destruction of) the House of the Undying.
    KatesMom likes this.

"The Old Gods and the New" - I didn't get the relevance of the title. But this episode was an edge-of-the-seater, wasn't it? My heart was in my throat 3 times for Sansa, Arya, and Bran. It broke a little, too, when Arya said loyalty killed her father, when brave little Bran kept asking "Why" and when Ser Rodrick told him he was going to see his father. It was a harsh episode for Stark kids, and even the baby dragons. Hearing them crying in human baby voices gave me the chills.

But Dani provided a bit of comic relief. She has been entirely too arrogant to be likeable lately, but the fat little spice merchant certainly took the wind out of her sails:

Dany: (shouting) I SHALL TAKE MY DRAGONS TO WESTEROS AND SMASH THE USURPERS AND RETAKE THE IRON THRONE WITH FIRE AND BLOOD AS IS MY BIRTHRIGHT!

Spice merchant: Take.

Dany: What?

Spice merchant: Well, you never had it, so... you can't REtake it, just take it.

Of course, Dani says she didn't come to argue about grammar. Wait till she meets Stannis.
    KatesMom likes this.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

I forgot to comment on the introduction of Ygritte. I'm still a bit skeptical. I like that this actress is playing her with a mischievousness and defiant streak that is great. However, she just looks too well-groomed to be a wildling...

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields View Post
    "The Old Gods and the New" - I didn't get the relevance of the title. But this episode was an edge-of-the-seater, wasn't it? My heart was in my throat 3 times for Sansa, Arya, and Bran. It broke a little, too, when Arya said loyalty killed her father, when brave little Bran kept asking "Why" and when Ser Rodrick told him he was going to see his father. It was a harsh episode for Stark kids, and even the baby dragons. Hearing them crying in human baby voices gave me the chills.

But Dani provided a bit of comic relief. She has been entirely too arrogant to be likeable lately, but the fat little spice merchant certainly took the wind out of her sails:

Dany: (shouting) I SHALL TAKE MY DRAGONS TO WESTEROS AND SMASH THE USURPERS AND RETAKE THE IRON THRONE WITH FIRE AND BLOOD AS IS MY BIRTHRIGHT!

Spice merchant: Take.

Dany: What?

Spice merchant: Well, you never had it, so... you can't REtake it, just take it.

Of course, Dani says she didn't come to argue about grammar. Wait till she meets Stannis.
    It's a reference to the various religions in Westeros: the Red God, the Seven, that many people in Westeros worship (although not most of the Starks - just Catelyn) and the Old Gods of the forest that many in the North worship. The priest was invoking the Seven as Marcella was leaving on the boat. The figures they burned on the beach a few episodes back where statues of the Seven. Jaqen worships R'Hollor (the Red God) - remember how he talked about death paying for life? Then we were north of the Wall with people who worship the old gods. Unfortunately, religion is not playing much of a part in the show. I think it makes the books much richer. We've seen a little bit of it - Jon swearing his Night's Watch oath at the Weirwood tree, the stuff with the Seven from this past episode and everything with Melissandre. In the last episode, Brienne and Catelyn swore their oaths to each other by the Old Gods and the New.

Dany's part is a bathroom break for me. I find Dany more irritating on the show much earlier than I did with Dany in the books. I'm all for diversity with casting, but I can't get over Xaro being a big, beautiful black straight man rather than a gay white man who has no interest in Dany as a woman. Don't get me wrong, I think the actor is doing a good job, but it's taking me a while to get used to the change.

Speaking of changes, there are a lot of little ones going on that I'm not sure about. The biggest one is the absence of Meera and Jojen Reed. They were some of my favorite characters in the books. I like Osha, but she's no substitute for the Reeds. It makes me wonder if
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Rickon is going along when they travel north of the Wall.

I know that when they cast for TV, they generally cast better looking people - Gwendolyn Christie is better looking, imo, than Brienne. Same with Peter Dinklage and several others. It's also true for Rose Leslie as Ygritte. She's much prettier than I imagined or than she's described. Still, I think she's doing a good job in the part. She looks SO different that it probably would have taken me awhile to recognize her from Downton Abbey if I hadn't already known that it was her.

This is the part where I actually begin to hate Theon. I will say that he's much less sympathetic on the show, even though I hated him in the books as well. Alfie Allen is definitely making Theon seem like a spineless little worm. Everything he does is about either trying to prove himself OR is because someone else told him to do it. He's also one of the biggest idiots, being tricked and manipulated at every turn.

I loved the moment when Bran asked Theon, "Did you hate us the whole time?"

I'm still not happy with the CGI direwolves.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was aware from the show that the Old Gods were the ancient forest people's deities and the New Gods were, well, newer. I was touched by Sam's taking his oath with Jon before the Old Ones. I just don't get the relevance of the title for the episode. The gods didn't seem to have much to do with it. Most of the time the episode's title provides me with a bit of insight into it, but I missed the reference on this one. "A Man Keeps His Word" was a witty one. But this one evades me.

I am coming to the conclusion that I'm going to have to read five books to get a good handle on the story. It's likely that this will take me a year if I start right now. I don't have a lot of time for fiction in my schedule, but I love literature. I will look forward to it, having already met some of the major characters.

I think Brienne is beautiful, a tower of strength and devotion. The brief glimpse of her looming behind Catlyn when she arrived to meet with Jon invoked an aura of safety and security protecting all within its circle.

I think Osha is beautiful, too, but I can't seem to stop thinking of her as Tonk in Harry Potter.

My favorite male characters thus far are Tyrion and Jaime. But in terms of casting, Tyrion as the youngest sibling looks to be clearly in his 40's. Cersei and Jaime just don't look older than him.

Arya is my favorite female character. She is simply awesome. I can't wait to see where her escape will lead her.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields View Post
    I was aware from the show that the Old Gods were the ancient forest people's deities and the New Gods were, well, newer. I was touched by Sam's taking his oath with Jon before the Old Ones. I just don't get the relevance of the title for the episode. The gods didn't seem to have much to do with it. Most of the time the episode's title provides me with a bit of insight into it, but I missed the reference on this one. "A Man Keeps His Word" was a witty one. But this one evades me.
    Sorry about that. I guess I misunderstood your question! I do think the title just refers to the gods in both regions that we visited in the episode. Some titles make more sense than others, I think. Maybe that title would have made a little more sense if they'd used it last week when Brienne and Catelyn made their vows to each other.

I am coming to the conclusion that I'm going to have to read five books to get a good handle on the story. It's likely that this will take me a year if I start right now. I don't have a lot of time for fiction in my schedule, but I love literature. I will look forward to it, having already met some of the major characters.
    YES! Read the books! I love the show, but I love the books even more! It's like the difference between watching the Harry Potter movies and reading the books. I love both, but the books are so much richer.

I think Osha is beautiful, too, but I can't seem to stop thinking of her as Tonk in Harry Potter.
    I think there were a lot of HP fanboys (and girls!) whose fantasies about seeing Tonks naked were realized this week!

My favorite male characters thus far are Tyrion and Jaime. But in terms of casting, Tyrion as the youngest sibling looks to be clearly in his 40's. Cersei and Jaime just don't look older than him.
    Well, Lena Headey is a few years younger than Peter Dinklage and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau is a year older than Peter, so I guess we can split the difference!
    Arya is my favorite female character. She is simply awesome. I can't wait to see where her escape will lead her.
    Through the books, I changed my mind (multiple times!) about some characters, but Arya remains a favorite of mine too.

I agree about Ygritte being too well-groomed. How clean could she be out there in the wild? I don't imagine they're bathing all that much.

SO many of the actors are better looking than the description of the character in the book. We all know what it's like to become more attracted to someone the longer we know them. With TV, I think the often cast better looking actors because we don't hear the character's inner dialogue. Also, actors are inherently vain. How many actresses would LOVE to be cast because they're really ugly? I think Gwendolyn Christie is actually quite attractive IRL. They've uglied her up for the show, but she's not nearly as ugly as Brienne is in the books. I guess as long as the actor embodies the spirit of the character and makes me care about them (either positively OR negatively), they're doing a good job.

Based on the preview they showed after the episode, it looks like I'll get my wish - Jaime is back!

I have only been peeking in a bit here and there but actually watched episode 6 all the way through. Maybe it is because it is Tuesday night. My question is, Sansa Stark and her bewilderment at the attack of the starving masses. Doesn't she get senseless cruelty by now, after all look what happened to her father, her family and to herself. You can't tell me after all that has happened and her stuck in the middle of it that she is still this naive and clueless?
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread