+ Reply to Thread
Page 38 of 87 FirstFirst ... 282930313233343536373839404142434445464748 ... LastLast
Like Tree169Likes

Thread: Game of Thrones on HBO

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Re: Game of Thrones on HBO

I would be the first to complain if this thread was knee deep in book-to-show comparisons much less spoilers. Spoilers aside, I find it can be really annoying to wade through such comparisons in a TV show thread - especially when I have not read the books, don't plan to, and am enjoying the show immensely!

But in no way is that the case in this thread. I really enjoy reading everyone's take on the events depicted and it's nice to have the option of reading the spoiler text when I want to follow the poster's train of thought. Good job, book fans!
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields View Post
    I would be the first to complain if this thread was knee deep in book-to-show comparisons much less spoilers. Spoilers aside, I find it can be really annoying to wade through such comparisons in a TV show thread - especially when I have not read the books, don't plan to, and am enjoying the show immensely!

But in no way is that the case in this thread. I really enjoy reading everyone's take on the events depicted and it's nice to have the option of reading the spoiler text when I want to follow the poster's train of thought. Good job, book fans!
    I'm pretty proud of all of us bookies for being extra careful about not spoiling anything. With some shows, spoilers would just be a bummer, but some of the things in future books are HUGE (especially in book 3) and I wouldn't want to ruin it for people. Just like with Dany's dragons in episode 10, I wouldn't have wanted anyone to know about that ahead of time if they didn't want to know. It was just too good to be spoiled!

With a show like True Blood, we had more problems because many of us fans of the books have been really unhappy with how the show has diverged from the books (I think, to its detriment). With GOT, I don't think there are many book fans who are unhappy, at least at this point. Of course, things have to be compressed and, sadly, some characters have been left out of the show. That's just inevitable. So far though, I'm happy.

As always, if you don't want to be spoiled, a) don't read the text that posters have put in spoiler tags and b) don't enter this thread if you haven't watched the episode yet. Once a show airs on the East coast, discussion - without spoiler tags - is a-okay. Of course, it goes without saying that non-book readers should treat VERY lightly in the thread for the series in the Books forum.

I hope the show encourages more people to read the books. As great as the show is, the books are even better!
    cantstopwatchin likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Thanks, CSW! I knew I remembered it from somewhere. As soon as I read what you wrote, I remembered. I'm leaving for vacation tomorrow morning and intend to start re-reading the books while I'm gone. There was so much the first time that it all got jumbled up, so I'm looking forward to re-reading now that I know where things are going.

Back to the TV show, one question which I have seen raised a bunch of times in other places but not here - what does everyone think about changing the three-eyed crow to a three-eyed raven? Granted at the end of the day it really doesn't matter, but it is little changes like this, that don't make sense, that do get me a tiny bit frustrated with the show.

Maybe raven just sounds more dramatic than crow?

A bit of trivia: All ravens are crows, but not all crows are ravens (some are jays and magpies). Ravens are a species of crow, but they are bigger and have glossier wings. They live six times longer than crows. They are also not commonly found in your garden or on electric wires.

They like solitude and privacy and hence are found in the woods and hills where human population is less or nil.
    Read more: Difference Between Crow and Raven | Difference Between | Crow vs Raven Difference Between Crow and Raven | Difference Between | Crow vs Raven

Altogether classier than crows.
    KatesMom likes this.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

They might also look better on film OR be easier to train
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

True. But they could still call a trained raven a "crow." Katesmom's question is why did they call the 3-eyed bird a raven instead of Martin's crow? I would suspect that "crow" doesn't evoke the portentiious feeling that "raven" does.

Thank you, Master Poe.

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KatesMom View Post
    Thanks, CSW! I knew I remembered it from somewhere. As soon as I read what you wrote, I remembered. I'm leaving for vacation tomorrow morning and intend to start re-reading the books while I'm gone. There was so much the first time that it all got jumbled up, so I'm looking forward to re-reading now that I know where things are going.

Back to the TV show, one question which I have seen raised a bunch of times in other places but not here - what does everyone think about changing the three-eyed crow to a three-eyed raven? Granted at the end of the day it really doesn't matter, but it is little changes like this, that don't make sense, that do get me a tiny bit frustrated with the show.
    Have fun on your vacation! I re-read them prior to the 5th book coming out and was shocked at all the foreshadowing Martin threw in there that I'd missed, probably b/c I was so anxious to see how the books ended-lol. But then I read that 5th one slowly b/c I took note of every side-comment to see if I could pick things up. Oy vey, I felt like I was back in school, making mental notes of all those diff. things. If I'm motivated, I'd like to go back and read all the books by character chapters...

Anyway... great pickup on the raven - I didn't notice that! I didn't realize there were any differences between the two (guess I never thought about it) but I saw a raven in the trees yesterday morning and I instantly thought, 'oh crap!'. Of course, now that I'm thinking about it, maybe it was a crow and I just didn't know... Maybe they changed the birds like they did the direwolves from dogs to actual wolves b/c they look bigger and badder?
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Sorry for the double post but just saw this and had to share - they've got links to the two videos on the site -

'Simpsons,' Lego slice into 'Game of Thrones' title sequence

"Game of Thrones" was a hit out of the gate for HBO, but it's taken until the second season for its beautifully-rendered, iconic opening credits sequence to resonate with the Zeitgeist. And it's safe to say that once "The Simpsons" and some random guys playing with Lego blocks have re-made your opening credits, you're getting some serious sword-and-sorcery attention out there in the mundane world.

Whether you're into the mix of dragons, dismemberment, direwolves, full-frontal nudity and wicked politics or not, the "Game of Thrones" introduction -- a title sequence created by a company called Elastic, beautifully mixes steampunk gears with rising wooden structures, all while transporting the viewer through the fiefdoms of Westeros and beyond.

The Clicker - 'Simpsons,' Lego slice into 'Game of Thrones' title sequence
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

I have seen the Simpson's one before.. but the Lego one is new for me.. and rather impressive. I love this opening and it is one of the few i never FF when watching, the music.. the images.. very well made. I love how its evolved as the story does.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

CCL

Yes, I love the opening sequence as well. It's very well done.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

+ Reply to Thread