+ Reply to Thread
Page 37 of 87 FirstFirst ... 272829303132333435363738394041424344454647 ... LastLast
Like Tree173Likes

Thread: Game of Thrones on HBO

Re: Game of Thrones on HBO

Quote Originally Posted by twochicklets View Post
    MODS,
    Is there anyway to have separate threads for those that have read the book and those that haven't. I really want to be able to read/participate here, but after reading today I find I will not be able to come back as I have been spoiled (unintentionally I'm sure) by the book readers' joy and anticipation of upcoming deaths and future romantic pairings and attacks.
    Nope. I just scanned the thread and didn't see any spoilers not in spoiler tags. Speculation, yes, but not spoilers. I think everyone has been pretty careful. If you see a spoiler that isn't in tags, report the post and a mod will take care of it.

The talk about Arya and Gendy as a romantic pairing was merely speculation, BTW, and not a spoiler.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fanatic

I am in the middle of the second book. I haven't watched this week's episode because I haven't read to that point yet. I like to have read it before I see it, but I still like checking this thread because it helps me figure out what's going on in the show, since it's different than the book.
    cantstopwatchin likes this.

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    Loved the scene with Arya and Tywin. She did a fantastic job!! I thought in the books she was serving Roose Bolton at Harrenhal - am I remembering that correctly, or was it really Tywin?? I agree that the actor playing Jaquen is perfect!

I feel like this comment is slightly spoilerish, because I don't know if they are skipping it or if it just hasn't been addressed yet...
    Click to see Spoiler:
    I thought it was very interesting that when Xaro proposed to Danerys and then she discussed it with Jorah they left out the most important reason why she will turn Xaro down. They are clearly setting up to show us that Jorah is in love with her (which seems early in the story to me, but everything is moving so fast). However, why leave out
    the fact that if she marries Xaro he will take one of her dragons??
    For Xaro
    Click to see Spoiler:
    wasn't it more that he would only agree to give her ships and provisions if she gave him a dragon? I don't recall him being a serious marriage prospect but I could be remembering wrong.

Regarding Harrenhal...Tywin was there first but I don't think Arya had any interaction with him? Roose took over the
    castle next.

To me it was clear from the book that Melisandre was responsible for Renly's death. I agree with the poster above who felt that his death scene was rather perfunctory. Didn't pack the wallop I expected.

Regarding Arya and Gendry...yeah, I'm going to ship that though it is rather inappropriate age-wise right now.

Is this season ten episodes ?
    Last edited by CCL; 05-01-2012 at 10:54 PM.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    For Xaro
    Click to see Spoiler:
    wasn't it more that he would only agree to give her ships and provisions if she gave him a dragon? I don't recall him being a serious marriage prospect but I could be remembering wrong.

Regarding Harrenhal...Tywin was there first but I don't think Arya had any interaction with him? Roose took over the
    castle next.

To me it was clear from the book that Melisandre was responsible for Renly's death. I agree with the poster above who felt that his death scene was rather perfunctory. Didn't pack the wallop I expected.

Regarding Arya and Gendry...yeah, I'm going to ship that though it is rather inappropriate age-wise right now.

Is this season ten episodes ?
    I felt that way about the scene in the book too. It was so sudden and unexpected.

Yep, we've got another ten episode season. Unfortunately. I'd like to hope that HBO would give us more episodes next season, but I won't hold my breath.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    For Xaro
    Click to see Spoiler:
    I can't claim my memory is perfect, but I was nearly certain that...
    Click to see Spoiler:
    That Xaro proposed a marriage and then someone explained to Danerys that the tradition in Qarth was that when a couple marries the husband can request something (i.e., a dragon) from his bride and she cannot deny him.

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    I can't claim my memory is perfect, but I was nearly certain that...
    Click to see Spoiler:
    That Xaro proposed a marriage and then someone explained to Danerys that the tradition in Qarth was that when a couple marries the husband can request something (i.e., a dragon) from his bride and she cannot deny him.
    Yes! And this is the reason it doesn't happen.

Click to see Spoiler:
    He gives her the boats and she originally wanted to head somewhere else but then changes course. I believe he still had hopes she'd marry him but she had no intention after hearing what was hers became his.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

Quote Originally Posted by cantstopwatchin View Post
    Yes! And this is the reason it doesn't happen.

Click to see Spoiler:
    He gives her the boats and she originally wanted to head somewhere else but then changes course. I believe he still had hopes she'd marry him but she had no intention after hearing what was hers became his.
    Ok, so maybe I'm confusing multiple sections in the book, but didn't

Click to see Spoiler:
    She "agree" to marry him, but when she went to give him the dragon, the dragon attacked and/or killed him (which was her plan)? I seem to recall she started to go along with it, knowing that her dragon would flip and she would get him back?

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Nope. I just scanned the thread and didn't see any spoilers not in spoiler tags. Speculation, yes, but not spoilers. I think everyone has been pretty careful. If you see a spoiler that isn't in tags, report the post and a mod will take care of it.

The talk about Arya and Gendy as a romantic pairing was merely speculation, BTW, and not a spoiler.
    Thanks, but no thanks, I won't be reading this thread any more so I won't be able to report! Too bad, good info. Bye!

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KatesMom View Post
    Ok, so maybe I'm confusing multiple sections in the book, but didn't

Click to see Spoiler:
    She "agree" to marry him, but when she went to give him the dragon, the dragon attacked and/or killed him (which was her plan)? I seem to recall she started to go along with it, knowing that her dragon would flip and she would get him back?
    No,

Click to see Spoiler:
    That was when she went to the red city to buy the Unsullied. I can't remember exactly but I think she gave the dragon in payment for her army, knowing what it would do when she said the word 'fire'. Then she had the Unsullied turn on the men who'd just sold them and that's how they freed the city.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

Quote Originally Posted by twochicklets View Post
    Thanks, but no thanks, I won't be reading this thread any more so I won't be able to report! Too bad, good info. Bye!
    Since I have yet to see anyone spoil the show, I don't see the problem, but that's certainly your option.

+ Reply to Thread