+ Reply to Thread
Page 36 of 87 FirstFirst ... 26272829303132333435363738394041424344454686 ... LastLast
Like Tree169Likes

Thread: Game of Thrones on HBO

Re: Game of Thrones on HBO

Re: those various sites, I would caution anyone who doesn't want to be spoiled to tread lightly. The ones that are more focused on the show are safe, but the ones for the books are not. Just check first before you get too far into it. There are great things coming up and I'd hate for someone to be spoiled when they didn't want to be!

I held my tongue about the final episode last season because I didn't want to ruin it for several of my friends who hadn't read the books. They thanked me afterward. I remember how I felt when I finished book 1 and kept seeing that final scene in my head. I didn't want to take that moment of surprise away from them.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

The sites I posted are more "show" sites than "book" sites. I have read a lot on some of the book sites, and I've been thoroughly "spoiled" as to outcomes for all the major characters. But I have been fascinated, nonetheless. What a storyteller Martin is! The complexity of the world he created is amazing.

Here's another infographic page - detailing families and relationships. Also show orieted.

Game of Thrones Infographic : Illustrated Guide to Houses and Character Relationships | HauteSlides
    Last edited by Poppy Fields; 04-30-2012 at 06:06 PM.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields View Post
    The sites I posted are more "show" sites than "book" sites. I have read a lot on some of the book sites, and I've been thoroughly "spoiled" as to outcomes for all the major characters. But I have been fascinated, nonetheless. What a storyteller Martin is! The complexity of the world he created is amazing.
    That first page - the Wiki - is for the books, but it's for the first book, so it's safe. I think someone asked in either this thread or the one for the books and I found a big "family tree" for the characters. The only problem was that it spoilered everything through the most recent book (I can't remember if this was before or after DWD was released). The big problem we have here is that we don't consider something a spoiler once a book is published. So, stuff from the books that was published many years ago isn't technically a spoiler....BUT, since it's also a show, we have to consider the events of the books to be spoilers until the show airs. So far, everyone has been really considerate about it. I will caution anyone who hasn't read the books to either stay out of the book thread or be cautious.

I've seen jerks spoil the RW in threads on E!Online just because they're stupid trolls. I'd be SO pissed if I got spoiled, especially on that specific event. I don't know why people feel the need to pull that crap and ruin things for other people.

Not to be a killjoy, but I just realized last night that the season is already half way over I'm totally going to have to read the books again between now and season 3.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Thanks so much for the sites, Poppy! And the words of caution, Critical. I love to be surprised but I find myself getting spoiled because I "play with fire" on the Internet! (blew it with Hunger Games so I'm feeling a little scorched right now!). I think I will add this book series to my summer reading while I'm off!

I just watched the latest episode for the third time. It seems that I've always missed something, or the nuance of something, every Sunday night.

Smokebaby really does look like Stannis, and there is something terribly unceremonial and perfunctory about Renly's assassination. It renders Brienne frozen in the moment, then fills her with horror and grief. And maybe guilt. I am relieved that she'll have Cat to protect now.

Dany is attending a garden party in what appears to be a hedge maze for very small children. I find I'm tiring of her anthem: "The Iron Throne is mine and I shall take it." Really? Her father was at least as murderously insane as Idi Amin. Revolution on. Dynasty over. I am reminded that she can only be a mother to dragons, given that her son with Drogo was born dead (with leathery skin and wings, according to the witch-midwife). I have to assume that means she is unlikely to bear wholly human heirs.

And was Arya checking out the shirtless Gendry? I thought I saw a glimmer of newfound appraisal in her eyes. So much more erotic than the de rigeur female nudity/sex acts we are treated to weekly on GoT.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

I was so perturbed Arya didn't call out Joffrey as her primary kill victim. I quit reading the book about 9/10s out of the first one because my editing itch was too much. And I've read enough spoilers, but still, it should have been Joffrey.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl View Post
    I was so perturbed Arya didn't call out Joffrey as her primary kill victim. I quit reading the book about 9/10s out of the first one because my editing itch was too much. And I've read enough spoilers, but still, it should have been Joffrey.
    But then Jaqen's task would be dragged out over a long period of time. I think GRRM wanted it to be more immediate. Plus, she's still a little girl. She won't make the wisest choices - she makes emotional ones, even though she's not your average little girl!

In the books, I didn't think it was quite as clear that Melissandre caused Renly's death. It was described as a shadow and, although the "baby" in the cave was also a shadow, it wasn't as clear, IMO. In the show, there was no doubt that the two came from the same source.

I think Catelyn is a much better person for Brienne to be pledged to. As charismatic as Renly was, he lacked honor and the discipline I think is needed to be king. He got people to follow him based on his personality rather than his deeds. I don't think he could have kept that up long term.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl View Post
    I thought she was smart in picking the low hanging fruit first. She has to be able to trust Jaquen, and The Tickler's death would help establish that for her. Imagine if she said Joffrey and was then betrayed.

Very smart little girl.!

MODS,
    Is there anyway to have separate threads for those that have read the book and those that haven't. I really want to be able to read/participate here, but after reading today I find I will not be able to come back as I have been spoiled (unintentionally I'm sure) by the book readers' joy and anticipation of upcoming deaths and future romantic pairings and attacks.

I was on the edge of my seat when Bran was talking about his dream. I grabbed the controller to see how much time was left and quickly realized that was all we were going to get this week - ARGH! I did, however, love that scene. He did a great job describing the dream in a way that you could feel he took it to heart, but didn't understand it.

Loved the scene with Arya and Tywin. She did a fantastic job!! I thought in the books she was serving Roose Bolton at Harrenhal - am I remembering that correctly, or was it really Tywin?? I agree that the actor playing Jaquen is perfect!

I feel like this comment is slightly spoilerish, because I don't know if they are skipping it or if it just hasn't been addressed yet...
    Click to see Spoiler:
    I thought it was very interesting that when Xaro proposed to Danerys and then she discussed it with Jorah they left out the most important reason why she will turn Xaro down. They are clearly setting up to show us that Jorah is in love with her (which seems early in the story to me, but everything is moving so fast). However, why leave out the fact that if she marries Xaro he will take one of her dragons??

I'm so excited for next week!!!

+ Reply to Thread