+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 87 FirstFirst ... 25262728293031323334353637383940414243444585 ... LastLast
Like Tree173Likes

Thread: Game of Thrones on HBO

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Re: Game of Thrones on HBO

There was a Game of Thrones reference on South Park tonight. It was being taught as part of the World History class.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Woot! This is the episode I've been waiting for since I read book 2. To quote the episode description,
    Click to see Spoiler:
    "The Baratheon rivalry ends..." which means this is when Renly gets it! I can't wait to see how it looks on screen. This begins the movement and Brienne and Jaime toward each other! They're one of my favorite (and probably the most unexpected) pairings.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Well hello, Gendry! I feel like a dirty old woman saying that! If he's supposed to look like a young Robert, you can imagine how imposing Robert was when he and Ned were fighting in the rebellion.

No Chiswyck in the show, so The Tickler substitutes as the first death. Guess he won't be in the next season! I wonder if the second two names will be the same as in the book. I LOVE the actor playing Jaqen H'ghar. He's striking the exact right balance between heroic, mysterious and dangerous.

That scene between Tywin and Arya was terrific, especially when she told him that anyone can be killed. I'm looking forward to seeing her with
    Click to see Spoiler:
    The Hound!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

I feel like we're riding up the roller coaster and have just gotten to the top, where we yell 'here we gooooo...' b/c so many situations have been set up and now they're just going to explode!

Quite honestly, I don't know how people who don't pay close attention or haven't read the books can keep everything straight. So many characters and there's isn't enough time to delve into them too much. DH is constantly asking questions and I have to tell him I can't tell him just yet. He asked me 'don't you think Jaqen H'ghar is creepy?' and I told him that, actually, Jaqen is one of my favorite characters. When he asked why, I told him 'she must not say why yet'. He didn't believe Jaqen speaks that way in the book as well.

One scene I'm dying, dying to see is
    Click to see Spoiler:
    When Dany goes into the House of the Undying and has her foreshadowing visions. Will they show her see JON at the wall during them? Also, will she see Rob and Cersei in their scenes? Since I read that scene, I've been wondering if she actually saw Jon and will know him whenever they meet. I'm hoping it happens during the epi GRRM wrote. Then I can put that question to rest. Books later, I still re-read that scene to see what she saw...
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Critical
    ...That scene between Tywin and Arya was terrific, especially when she told him that anyone can be killed.....
    Yes! I could almost hear her thinking "Like my dad... and like YOU."

I couldn’t stop laughing at the way the Dothraki were so casually discussing the proper way to loot Xaro’s palace. How is it that their looting is so funny but the Greyjoys' is so repulsive?

And how cute was lovelorn Sam saying how much Gilly would like the scenery?
    Last edited by Poppy Fields; 04-30-2012 at 10:59 AM.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

I channel surfed into the one scene where the one Stark boy was discribing his dream of the sea overwhelming Winterfell and I wanted to scream at the TV dream symbolism boy, you are going to be attacked.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Last night's episode was good. A few comments:

1. I am not liking Margaery a whole lot. Maybe it is just artistic interpretation, but I did not ever see her as this power hungry in the books. Her comment to Littlefinger about wanting to be THE queen - are they really trying to make it that what happens after is her idea? Because I never got that in books.

2. Love every scene with Arya - and she can really hold her own against anyone! I agree about the future scenes mentioned by Critical. And also Gendry - he is FINE!

3. Bronn and Tyrion - seriously, can we just have an episode that is all about them? They play off each other so well. Oh, and with Jon thrown in there just for eye candy! Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by KatesMom View Post
    Last night's episode was good. A few comments:

1. I am not liking Margaery a whole lot. Maybe it is just artistic interpretation, but I did not ever see her as this power hungry in the books. Her comment to Littlefinger about wanting to be THE queen - are they really trying to make it that what happens after is her idea? Because I never got that in books.
    I sort of enjoyed the fact that she isn't as sweet and innocent as she seems in the books. That's one character that isn't, IMO, very well-drawn in the books. I can't wait to see her in the next few seasons! I never liked The Tudors (tried multiple times and just couldn't get into it - not sure why), so I wasn't previously familiar with Natalie Dormer. I think she's doing a great job.

3. Bronn and Tyrion - seriously, can we just have an episode that is all about them? They play off each other so well. Oh, and with Jon thrown in there just for eye candy! Thanks!!
    Have you seen the video someone did last season of their scenes edited to look like a buddy/comedy show? Awesome!

Did anyone else get chills at seeing Jon on the Iron Throne with Ghost at his side in that little show promo before last night's episode?

cantstopwatchin - that's a scene I can't wait to see either! I don't know how they can possibly show some of those things without spoiling season 3 or 4 (whenever RW happens).

Joe Dempsie, who plays Gendry, is almost 25. I don't feel like such a perv! Of course, it makes speculation of Arya (Maisie is only 15) and Gendry getting together down the line a little inappropriate.... for now.

Quote Originally Posted by cantstopwatchin View Post
    Quite honestly, I don't know how people who don't pay close attention or haven't read the books can keep everything straight. So many characters and there's isn't enough time to delve into them too much. DH is constantly asking questions and I have to tell him I can't tell him just yet. He asked me 'don't you think Jaqen H'ghar is creepy?' and I told him that, actually, Jaqen is one of my favorite characters. When he asked why, I told him 'she must not say why yet'. He didn't believe Jaqen speaks that way in the book as well.
    I have not read the books (though I would love to!), and I have to admit, I do get pretty lost; especially with the names of people. I need a graphic organizer of all of the people for when I watch the show!

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

There are so many websites that can fill you in on the story and the characters, but I find most of them too narrative and verbose. I'd read the books if I wanted pages of narratives.

I find this site helpful if you want a quick reference for who's who in the story:

A Game of Thrones - A Wiki of Ice and Fire

For the backstory, I like this site:

http://gameofthrones.net/world-of-we...-westeros.html

The houses' family trees are represented here, a quick graphic reference:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lj...ylwo1_1280.jpg
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

+ Reply to Thread