+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 87 FirstFirst ... 24252627282930313233343536373839404142434484 ... LastLast
Like Tree169Likes

Thread: Game of Thrones on HBO

Re: Game of Thrones on HBO

What the heck did that Red Witch give birth to?
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Only way to describe it, I think, is a 'child of darkness'. That was a crazy, insane scene! DH was flippin' out that the show ended right afterward b/c he wanted to figure it out.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

And didn't it happen slightly differently in the books? I remember Davos taking her into the caves and her giving birth to it, but wasn't that more related to Edric Storm (who has been deleted from the shows)? I know what they are using it for here, but I thought in the books there was always more question about where it came from and what happened? Or am I remembering wrong? I just felt like they were combining two different things last night.

Last night's show was definitely a violent one. I had a hard time watching it. That being said, I seriously giggled like a school girl at a couple of the scenes with Tyrion last night. He is so good!! He is the one person, hand's down, who I see playing Tyrion exactly like I have always pictured him in the books - well, except that Peter Dinklage is a good looking man, and I never really thought of Tyrion as good looking!

Quote Originally Posted by KatesMom View Post
    And didn't it happen slightly differently in the books? I remember Davos taking her into the caves and her giving birth to it, but wasn't that more related to Edric Storm (who has been deleted from the shows)? I know what they are using it for here, but I thought in the books there was always more question about where it came from and what happened? Or am I remembering wrong? I just felt like they were combining two different things last night.
    You are remembering correctly, I was thinking the same thing. Since they are leaving out the Edric Storm part of the story, and this scene was so dramatic I am guessing that they are combining just so they could take advantage of the birth scene and just relate it to a different part of the story. In the book the part they are leading up to was really kind of out-of-the-blue so I thought it made sense for them to combine the stories the way they are to make the connection between the characters more obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    You are remembering correctly, I was thinking the same thing. Since they are leaving out the Edric Storm part of the story, and this scene was so dramatic I am guessing that they are combining just so they could take advantage of the birth scene and just relate it to a different part of the story. In the book the part they are leading up to was really kind of out-of-the-blue so I thought it made sense for them to combine the stories the way they are to make the connection between the characters more obvious.
    Agreed. Knowing what is coming last week, it does make sense. And quite frankly, I think that is what we were all supposed to think happened in the books. Good to know I'm not crazy (at least on that one)!

Just another side note, which others here have noted. Man, the guy playing Joffrey is good. I really don't like him! I'm not a huge fan of Sansa - never was - but I think she did a good job last night.

As for people not being all good or all bad - there were a few exceptions to this for me. I actually never felt bad for Cersei, even at the very end of book 5, because she brought it all on herself and never showed remorse. Even at the end of book 5, I don't think she was remorseful at all - she was humiliated, as she should have been. The other one I never liked was Ramsay, who I assume we will see at some point towards the end of this season. I hated him and never waivered on that. Even the person who was his father (forgot his name, but assumed that was who we saw talking to Robb last night - ETA Roose Bolton, I just confirmed on Westeros.org that in fact that is who that was), I felt has his good side. Ramsay - no way, just evil and sadistic! He actually made me start to feel pity for Theon!
    Last edited by KatesMom; 04-23-2012 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cantstopwatchin View Post
    Only way to describe it, I think, is a 'child of darkness'. That was a crazy, insane scene! DH was flippin' out that the show ended right afterward b/c he wanted to figure it out.
    So, who the baby daddy?
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

I thought the birth of Smokebaby might be explained by Melissandre's declaration that shadows are servants of the light. But that thing doesn't look like a docile, obedient servant. I was especially creeped out by the way it grabbed its mother's leg to pull itself out!

The whole episode had me cringing every other minute. You know that you've been watching some high octane horror when Tywin Lannister's arrival on the scene makes you heave a sigh of relief.
    Last edited by Poppy Fields; 04-23-2012 at 01:52 PM.
    brunette trixie likes this.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields View Post
    I thought the birth of Smokebaby might be explained by Melissandre's declaration that shadows are servants of the light. But that thing doesn't look like a docile, obedient servant. I was especially creeped out by the way it grabbed its mother's leg to pull itself out!

The whole episode had me cringing every other minute. You know that you've been watching some high octane horror when Tywin Lannister's arrival on the scene makes you heave a sigh of relief.
    Poppy, I thought the exact same thing!

Bearcata, funny question! I'm not sure the thing technically has a daddy! It does come out later in the books that Melissandre performs magic. I think the SmokeBaby was always one of her magic spells - I would argue dark magic, but I'm sure she would disagree with me!

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    So, who the baby daddy?
    Stannis Baratheon - this was the product of their 'romantic' tryst on the council table, just sped up and birthed in only a matter of weeks.

I actually like how they did this since there's no Edric b/c it's going to make things more easily followed in the future.

Poor Arya but I love that Jaqen will be in the next epi!
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

Omg, Joffrey is just the worst, the worst. The actor who plays him is so good at being creepy and sadistic. I heard in a podcast that Jack Gleeson (Joffrey) wants to be an academic when he grows up. He's just doing this acting thing for fun. He should really reconsider he obviously has a lot of talent.

That scene with Melisandre and Davos was pretty much how I imagined it would be. I can't wait to see the "shadow baby" next week!

+ Reply to Thread