+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 87 FirstFirst ... 23242526272829303132333435363738394041424383 ... LastLast
Like Tree169Likes

Thread: Game of Thrones on HBO

Re: Game of Thrones on HBO

Quote Originally Posted by KatesMom View Post
    She is really tall (Brienne)! I think standing next to Catelyn made her look even bigger! I really liked her.

Renly and Loras' relationship is another one that was hinted at in the books, but never made explicit. I did like Margery Tyrell, and look forward
    Click to see Spoiler:
    to her interaction with Joffrey

I also really liked the scene with Bran and Summer. I think I would be a little freaked out though to wake up and see that big wolf staring me in the eyes!

Tyrion is my favorite and I don't see that changing. What I love is that Peter Dinklage is such a great actor, and a good looking guy! I never saw Tyrion as attractive in the books, but I definitely am on the show!!

I have decided the one character I don't like is Theon. Maybe because he was such a ladies man, but I really thought he would be cuter - and more grown up. I just don't think the guy playing him is really doing him justice.
    At the beginning of the series, he's only 19, so Alfie Allen is actually much older than his character, as are Richard Madden and Kit Harrington - all three actors are around 26, while their characters in the books are all teenagers. I think Alfie will be more suited to play Theon as the story progresses. I don't see him as a ladies man at all - he's not seducing women with his charm, but rather with his position. With Ros, that was commerce. She as much as said that Tyrion was better in bed.

Tyrion IS pretty ugly in the books, but it's not easy to "ugly up" Peter Dinklage.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I was surprised to actually feel bad for Theon last night. While reading the books, I never thought that his future actions could be motivated by needing to feel accepted by his father.

I know it was discussed in the book that Margery may not have been a virgin when she married Renly, but I never expected her to be so sexually open. Then again, I completely missed the hint about Loras and Renly beeing an item.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

"Remember. The queen mustn't know."

I really, really wish the GoT episodes were 2 hours long. They are over before I know it!
    Last edited by Poppy Fields; 04-16-2012 at 01:14 PM.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose View Post
    I was surprised to actually feel bad for Theon last night. While reading the books, I never thought that his future actions could be motivated by needing to feel accepted by his father.
    I thought that's why he did everything he did as soon as he returned home to Pyke and realized he'd been replaced by his sister was about trying to gain his father's acceptance.
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Ignoring his father's orders to sack the villages and, instead, going to "capture" Winterfell was all about getting his father's attention and proving that he was worthy of respect and deserved to be the heir. Of course, it totally backfires, but still. I definitely think Alfie Allen is going to do better at that Theon and, especially, at being Reek. I can't wait to see that!

ITA Poppy Fields - this show needs to be A LOT longer! Last night's episode flew by. I looked up and it was already 6:55. I hope that HBO come to their senses and gives them at least 12 episodes next season. There's just too much great stuff - even if book 3 is split in half - to cut out anything! I've already started the countdown to the finale. <----proof of total masochism

Just like when I read the book, I'm missing Jaime. I'm looking forward to his storyline with
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Brienne. It's one of my favorite pairings of the series. It caused Jaime to be much more sympathetic, IMO, and it made him become one of my favorites. Is it bad that I'm looking forward to his hand being cut off?

Ah, poor Lommy. We hardly knew you.....
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Agree 100% Critical! They were one of my favorite pairings in the book. I was very surprised at how my opinion of Jamie changed through the books - and I really think she is the reason why. He is not a bad person, he just fell in love with the wrong person. Lord knows we can't control who we fall in love with. And imagine Tywin as a father - especially if you were the "golden child"! That's a lot to live up to. I always thought, based on the relationship and affection between Jamie and Tyrion that there was more to Jamie than we saw in book 1.
    Critical likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by KatesMom View Post
    Agree 100% Critical! They were one of my favorite pairings in the book. I was very surprised at how my opinion of Jamie changed through the books - and I really think she is the reason why. He is not a bad person, he just fell in love with the wrong person. Lord knows we can't control who we fall in love with. And imagine Tywin as a father - especially if you were the "golden child"! That's a lot to live up to. I always thought, based on the relationship and affection between Jamie and Tyrion that there was more to Jamie than we saw in book 1.
    I told a friend who'd only watched season 1 that Jaime becomes a more sympathetic character and she didn't believe me. That's what I love about this series! No one is all good or all bad - they're ALL complicated people. Heck, even Cersei becomes more sympathetic! As the books progressed, I found myself looking forward to Jaime's POV chapters, almost as much as Jon's and Tyrion's.

I have high hopes for Gwendoline Christie as Brienne. I liked what I saw last night. I can't wait to see her work this season. She's got so much good material!

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I thought that's why he did everything he did as soon as he returned home to Pyke and realized he'd been replaced by his sister was about trying to gain his father's acceptance.
    Thinking back, I know I should have realized it when reading the book. I should do like you did and reread it. The first time, there is so much information and characters thrown at you that you can easily miss the nuances.

I don't really like how Theon is being played on the show so far. I think it is mostly because I feel like they are making him rather sympathetic - "Poor Theon, he came home and his daddy looks down on him." He was in this position in the book, BUT he was SO full of himself going in that I didn't feel bad for him one bit. And I never thought he really wavered in his unfounded bravado. I also thought in his heart he was ready to betray Robb the second he headed out for Pyke. The show made it seem almost like he was forced into the betrayal.

I will admit I rolled my eyes just a little during the scenes with Renly and Loras/Margery. The first time they showed Renly/Loras I was thinking "Okay, they really want us to get the point that Renly is gay". This week it was more like "Just in case you were too obtuse to get it the first time, you need to know that Renly is really, REALLY gay". Seriously, it wasn't THAT important in the book. In the end it was just used as explanation regarding Margery's future circumstances (<-- saying this vaguely so as to avoid spoilers ).

I can't wait to see more Brienne!! When they first showed her, my son said "Is that a guy or a lady?" and I replied "If you didn't realize right away, that was a good casting choice!"

Am I crazy or did they seriously compress the story with Arya and her friends? In my recollection they got attacked with Yorin, escaped, survived for a while and became a pretty tight-knit group, THEN got captured. I'm a little sad we didn't get to know Hot Pie and Lommy more, but I understand the need. Well, I suppose we *could* see Hot Pie more, but I don't expect we will know him like we did from the book.

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    Am I crazy or did they seriously compress the story with Arya and her friends? In my recollection they got attacked with Yorin, escaped, survived for a while and became a pretty tight-knit group, THEN got captured. I'm a little sad we didn't get to know Hot Pie and Lommy more, but I understand the need. Well, I suppose we *could* see Hot Pie more, but I don't expect we will know him like we did from the book.
    You're not crazy - they were on their own - Arya, Gendry, Lommy, Hot Pie and Weasel, who they left out of the show - for a while before being captured by Ser Gregor. Last night, it seemed to happen almost immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    You're not crazy - they were on their own - Arya, Gendry, Lommy, Hot Pie and Weasel, who they left out of the show - for a while before being captured by Ser Gregor. Last night, it seemed to happen almost immediately.
    Thank you! That scene felt like a whirlwind to me because everything was happening so fast, and not quite the way I was expecting!!
    Click to see Spoiler:
    I forgot all about Weasel - he's probably the one I should have remembered most given Arya's future use of the moniker!

+ Reply to Thread