+ Reply to Thread
Page 32 of 87 FirstFirst ... 22232425262728293031323334353637383940414282 ... LastLast
Like Tree171Likes

Thread: Game of Thrones on HBO

CCL

Re: Game of Thrones on HBO

Fair play on the age coupled with slow writing issue. I'm not 100% enamored with GRRM myself. I think he ruined Dany as a character in book 5 for example. But there are a lot of things I do like and I do want him to be the one to finish out the series. I know there was a big gap between book 4 and 5; was the gap as big between other books as well?

Looked it up - the first three books came out within a decade. Book 4 then took five years, and 5 took six years. There was a report that as of last month he'd written 200 pages. So here's hoping it's not like the distance between books three and four and four and five. If something does happen (and not due to ill health, necessarily, but just the vagaries of life) I do take comfort that somebody (the show runners) has an overall sketch on how things are to turn out. Not as good as getting a book, but better than nothing.

I'm eager to see Brienne as well.
    Last edited by CCL; 04-12-2012 at 10:46 PM.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I heard the 200 pages quote too, but I think the manuscript for DWD was about 1,500 pages, so that's not much. Plus, there's the well-known quote from him at the end of SOS about how DWD would be coming out in a year because he was almost done! He's said he won't make any prediction about when WOW will be released. I don't care about predictions - I just want the book!

I'm trying to remains optimistic that Dany will be redeemed in light of her last scenes in DWD.

I'm thrilled that GRRM is involved with this show, but I know it is taking his time from his books too.

I had thoughts about Arya and Gendry when they were traveling to to the Wall too. Don't know if it will happen, but it's possible. I still like the idea of Dany and Jon the best - two old families who both have kings on their family tree.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

I'll be interested to see if they deviate from the books after the end of book 3. I mean, there's no way GRRM will be done with the series and if they just end there, everyone'll be left hanging. Will they use the information GRRM gave them and get to the ending without all of the filler?

GRRM has said he's not into happy endings just for the sake of having them (I think he actually hits us over the head with this), so I think some of our favorites won't make it to the final pages. Now, who they will be is the big question. My guess is Arya will end up alone, if she makes it that far (and she better or I'll be heartbroken) but her line of work isn't too conducive to that. Then Jon, Dany, or Tyrion will end up ruling the world. Even though he's my favorite character, I don't think it'll be Jon. GRRM likes to go against the grain and if Jon ruled the world, that's too Arthurian, so I think he'll end up sacrificing himself, either for Arya or Dany. Like CCL, I became really disenchanted with Dany in book 5, so I almost hope it's not her in favor of Jon. (Is that bad?) Tyrion has shown us he's very adept at self-preservation, so I think he'll still be around. (Plus, as GRRM's favorite character, I can't see him getting knocked off.)

Anyway, I'm excited to see Brienne as well but I'm kind of stuck on when we last saw her (in the books).

With the season having only 10 shows, there's lots of action from here on out. I love this show/books!!
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

Well, if we get one season a year (I wish we didn't) - then you have to figure 2 seasons for book 3 and 2-3 seasons, at least, for books 4 and 5. So that gets us 5-6 years out and hopefully by then he will have written the next book! Maybe even both. I just feel like 5 was the beginning of the end, so I kind of feel like it might be a while before book 6, but then 7 will follow pretty closely on its heels - like that he will basically write 6 and 7 together and then release them a year or two apart. Maybe that's just wishful thinking.

CSW, I agree with you about Jon. I don't see him ruling when this is all said and done. But I do see him as being the key to how all of this is going to end. And that's just fine by me. He and Tyrion really are probably my favorite people. I think Tyrion will end up ruling over Casterly Rock. His father is dead and Jamie is in the Kingsguard. So in the end, Tyrion will get the only thing he ever really wanted, and the main thing his father said he would never give him - his lands and his fortune. Maybe he will find his true love too! One can always hope!

Yeah, I definitely don't think Jon is savvy enough to rule. He's got too much of his father's immovable sense of right and wrong. I think you need to have more flexible morals to be king.

I know GRRM has said that the TV show will keep him motivated to get the series finished - he needs to stay ahead of the show! Still, if they do take 2 seasons for several of the books, that's just too long to wait for book 6! I don't want him to wait until they're about to head into pre-production with the scripts before he finishes it.

During this last episode, I kept saying "Hot Pie!" really loud and then laughing. It's a good thing I live alone.

While I think the actress definitely looks like I imagined Melisandre, I'm still waiting for the simmering danger. I haven't found her threatening yet, the way Cersei is. There's a measure of malevolence that Melisandre has that I don't feel like we've seen yet. Hopefully soon....

I have to say, I hated that sex scene with Stannis and Melisandre, even though there were hints of a physical relationship in the books. I always read the relationship as more control and dependency both mentally and spiritually but not really physically. Stannis is supposed to be annoyingly and stubbornly moral, as well as kind of a stick in the m. That scene was just a little too wild for him.

As for the baby that Craster leaves to the Others, unless there are big changes to the story, that can't be Gilly's baby. I hope they don't change the story that drastically. I vaguely remember something in the book about Craster clocking Jon over the head, but now I'm not sure....
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Okay, the show is officially part of popular culture. It made SNL last night! The sketch - the premise of which is that a 13 year old consultant is the reason for all the female nudity - was hilarious! Inexplicably, it's not up on Hulu or NBC (weird, especially, since many critics are saying it was the best sketch of the night), but it's here: too old for tumblr

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

"Oh, thank you. I haven't had a decent s&% in 6 days." I love Peter Dinklage and how they're keeping Tyrion as witty as the books!!

"That woman is HUGE!" - DH's quote about Brienne (he hasn't gotten that far in the books.) I told him she's only a few inches taller than me (I think she's 6'1"?) but he said she looks 6'10" (he's 6'5"). LOL!

Why does it seem that the episodes are so short??

ETA: Thanks for the SNL link, Crit. DH & I just watched it and couldn't stop cracking up. I'm so bummed we missed this week's show; what a funny skit!
    Last edited by Critical; 04-15-2012 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Edited for language
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

Quote Originally Posted by cantstopwatchin View Post
    "Oh, thank you. I haven't had a decent s&% in 6 days." I love Peter Dinklage and how they're keeping Tyrion as witty as the books!!

"That woman is HUGE!" - DH's quote about Brienne (he hasn't gotten that far in the books.) I told him she's only a few inches taller than me (I think she's 6'1"?) but he said she looks 6'10" (he's 6'5"). LOL!

Why does it seem that the episodes are so short??

ETA: Thanks for the SNL link, Crit. DH & I just watched it and couldn't stop cracking up. I'm so bummed we missed this week's show; what a funny skit!
    Gwendoline Christie is 6'3". I think the armor makes her look bigger and it probably helps that she's likely surrounded by tiny people as many actors are! She's not as homely as Brienne is in the books, but that's a tough order to fill.

Once again, Varys shows that he's just about the only one who knows what's going on. Tyrion is smart - his plan to figure out who will betray him is just one example of his cleverness. Still, Varys is the one who really sees the big picture.

Oh I was so glad to see Natalie Dormer! Loved her in The Tudors! I hope we get to see more of her than just tonight!
    KAREN

She is really tall (Brienne)! I think standing next to Catelyn made her look even bigger! I really liked her.

Renly and Loras' relationship is another one that was hinted at in the books, but never made explicit. I did like Margery Tyrell, and look forward
    Click to see Spoiler:
    to her interaction with Joffrey

I also really liked the scene with Bran and Summer. I think I would be a little freaked out though to wake up and see that big wolf staring me in the eyes!

Tyrion is my favorite and I don't see that changing. What I love is that Peter Dinklage is such a great actor, and a good looking guy! I never saw Tyrion as attractive in the books, but I definitely am on the show!!

I have decided the one character I don't like is Theon. Maybe because he was such a ladies man, but I really thought he would be cuter - and more grown up. I just don't think the guy playing him is really doing him justice.

+ Reply to Thread