+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 87 FirstFirst ... 21222324252627282930313233343536373839404181 ... LastLast
Like Tree170Likes

Thread: Game of Thrones on HBO

Re: Game of Thrones on HBO

I don't know, this was a late renewal compared with last season. I think they renewed the show for a second season right after the premiere!

My concern is that they get a fourth season. If they follow the events of the book chronologically and split book 3 in half, the big event of that book (aka "RW") happens in the second half. The producers have said that they really want to get to that point in the story. I hope they're able to tell the whole story, but that event would be major.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I don't know, this was a late renewal compared with last season. I think they renewed the show for a second season right after the premiere!

My concern is that they get a fourth season. If they follow the events of the book chronologically and split book 3 in half, the big event of that book (aka "RW") happens in the second half. The producers have said that they really want to get to that point in the story. I hope they're able to tell the whole story, but that event would be major.
    Wasn't it in the HBO special "You Win or You Die" where the producers specifically said they were splitting the 3rd book into 2 seasons? When I heard that, and given when it happens in the book, I just assumed the "RW" is where they will end season 3 - probably with us not knowing who lives and who dies and having to wait a year to find out!

Quote Originally Posted by KatesMom View Post
    Wasn't it in the HBO special "You Win or You Die" where the producers specifically said they were splitting the 3rd book into 2 seasons? When I heard that, and given when it happens in the book, I just assumed the "RW" is where they will end season 3 - probably with us not knowing who lives and who dies and having to wait a year to find out!
    Yep, but if you look at the book, RW is well into the second half of the book. Narratively, it makes sense to end the season with that, but what I meant in that post is that they would have to do some shuffling with other storylines to make it happen. Otherwise, season 3 would be jam-packed (which means some good stuff would be left out) and season 4 would be either a bit weak or would include some of book 4.

Once they get to book 4, I think they have to make some changes. Since GRRM split the narrative in books 4 and 5, I think they will have to combine the books and run the story chronologically. If not, we'll have a whole season with no Dany, no Tyrion and very little Jon Snow and I don't think the fans would stand for that!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Right now, the characters I find most empathetic are Dany, Tyrion, and Jon. But, I'm willing to bet that I'm going to find more as the war escalates. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have conflicting/changing loyalities, and that they won't be static. They'll go back and forth. It's not a story about good and evil, and these characters are so human! They have virtues and flaws, every one of them. Not to mention agendas. (agendae?)
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields View Post
    Right now, the characters I find most empathetic are Dany, Tyrion, and Jon. But, I'm willing to bet that I'm going to find more as the war escalates. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have conflicting/changing loyalities, and that they won't be static. They'll go back and forth. It's not a story about good and evil, and these characters are so human! They have virtues and flaws, every one of them. Not to mention agendas. (agendae?)
    I know I definitely changed my mind about several characters, including Jaime, Sansa and Dany. Jaime becomes, IMO, more sympathetic as the plot progresses, as does Sansa and Dany just started to annoy the crap out of me by book 5.

I'm just going to go ahead and admit this: I spend a lot of time trying to figure out how this story/world will all end AND sometimes I worry (with GRRM's health and current writing pace) that maybe I need to give it even more thought! As of now here are my guesses (this isn't a spoiler, just me guessing):
    -I used to think that perhaps GRRM had a bit of a masochist theme going and thought women were silly and couldn't lead...many of the women are subjected to a lot of crap and most of them eventually eventually make silly decisions that lead to their downfall/exile/etc while they are in power. BUT, then I think of Arya and and what a spectacular character she is and continues to become and I re-think that stance.
    -Harping on the idea of minorities I think it is pretty evident that Tyrion is easily one of GRRM's favorite characters (he has admited this in interviews) and the addition of Peter Dinklage as the vessel to tell his story makes me think that another 'misfit' (as viewed by the mostly 'normal' male dominated society) will prevail at the end of the series. So, maybe Martin is actually a secret champion of those who are easily passed over...
    -Then there is Jon Snow (who, sadly, still knows nothing)--who is written as such a strong and sympathetic character but happens to be bastard born (another pitfall in this world).
    -But, then I start thinking about the role and position of women in this world again and the theory suffers....I also recall how Tyrion has ultimately failed at many things and I reconsider (frustrating).
    -To avoid being spoilerish I'll be a bit vague: Somehow, I still have a gut feeling that the series will eventually see Arya and Dany (the wolf and dragon) bringing the two worlds together and ruling. Or, maybe that is just my hope. Oh, and Arya can marry Gendry and that will tie it back to the stags. Sansa becomes regent in another area, while Bran 'rules' over another area.
    Last edited by mindy384; 04-12-2012 at 01:37 PM.
    cantstopwatchin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I know I definitely changed my mind about several characters, including Jaime, Sansa and Dany. Jaime becomes, IMO, more sympathetic as the plot progresses, as does Sansa and Dany just started to annoy the crap out of me by book 5.
    I especially agree about Jamie. He was such an arrogant, pompous you-know-what at the beginning of the series, I didn't think I would ever manage to actually like him!

Quote Originally Posted by mindy384 View Post
    -To avoid being spoilerish I'll be a bit vague: Somehow, I still have a gut feeling that the series will eventually see Arya and Dany (the wolf and dragon) bringing the two worlds together and ruling. Or, maybe that is just my hope. Oh, and Arya can marry Gendry and that will tie it back to the stags. Sansa becomes regent in another area, while Bran 'rules' over another area.
    I try not to have any hopes about how this story will wrap up. When I watched the first season I *hoped* that Ned and his honor would prevail over all the meanies, and look how that turned out!

CCL

Okay GRRM is fat but that does not necessarily equal ill health. I think all the readers should stop worrying him into an early grave (that's not a slight at you at all mindy384, just an overall observation). Hopefully he will finish the series or, if not, maybe leave enough "clues" for someone else to finish it.

I used to think the story would end up with Dany and Jon (Fire and Ice) leading the kingdom with Tyrion thrown in as the "fun uncle" advisor (not a real uncle, but he was shown being nice specifically to Jon Snow, which means he might be open to playing an avuncular, guiding role to him in future). Plus the three heads of the dragon being Dany, Jon, Tyrion with each representing a powerful house, united. Then Dany got on my nerves in book 5 ...plus some other stuff...so now I'm not 100 % sure. And I'm not sure Dany truly wants to lead (trying not to spoil as we are not in the books thread; this is all speculation, anyhow). Now I'm leaning towards Arya and Gendry wedding and ruling the country. I can just imagine our little tomboy wearing a queenly throne.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I think our little tomboy has a much more important role to the end of all of this, given where she is in the later books and what she is training to be. I have always believed that Jon Snow is the key to all of this. I think we are seeing the beginning of this in this book. The real fight in these books is not going to be for the Iron Throne, it is going to be for all of Westeros. The real threat is what is on the other side of the Wall. I do believe when all is said and done a Targareyn (sp?) will be on the throne. And I have to believe there is a satisfactory ending for Tryrion in all of this too!

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    Okay GRRM is fat but that does not necessarily equal ill health. I think all the readers should stop worrying him into an early grave (that's not a slight at you at all mindy384, just an overall observation). Hopefully he will finish the series or, if not, maybe leave enough "clues" for someone else to finish it.

I used to think the story would end up with Dany and Jon (Fire and Ice) leading the kingdom with Tyrion thrown in as the "fun uncle" advisor (not a real uncle, but he was shown being nice specifically to Jon Snow, which means he might be open to playing an avuncular, guiding role to him in future). Plus the three heads of the dragon being Dany, Jon, Tyrion with each representing a powerful house, united. Then Dany got on my nerves in book 5 ...plus some other stuff...so now I'm not 100 % sure. And I'm not sure Dany truly wants to lead (trying not to spoil as we are not in the books thread; this is all speculation, anyhow). Now I'm leaning towards Arya and Gendry wedding and ruling the country. I can just imagine our little tomboy wearing a queenly throne.
    I worry about GRRM not finishing because he's in his 60's and he's not a fast writer! Plus, yes, he is quite heavy and is not exactly the picture of health. But mainly, I worry because he's 63. There were 6 years between SOS and DWD. I do think fans have some reason to be concerned. He has told the show's producers the basic outline of how the story will end, just in case. Still, I don't think anyone else could do it justice. I want HIM to finish it! It qouldn't be nearly as satisfying to read someone else writing those characters, either in book form or in a few page summary. I want GRRM's writing - hopefully in at least 2,500 more pages!

I told a friend that Jaime becomes more sympathetic in book 2 and she didn't believe it. It's Brienne that really does that, IMO. Jaime being held captive by Robb begins the process, but it's his relationship with Brienne that softened me to him. She's one of my favorite characters in the whole series, so I'm really excited to finally see her on the show! I think this Sunday's episode will be her first!

+ Reply to Thread