+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 80 FirstFirst ... 202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
Like Tree127Likes

Thread: Game of Thrones on HBO

Re: Game of Thrones on HBO

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I've read more than one interview with the producers talking about Jack Gleason and, apparently, he's a really sweet guy. They said it's odd that he can tap in so completely to the vileness of Joffrey. So far, no one has smacked him on the street or yelled at him, but I have to believe it will happen one of these days!
    I actually saw an article online during season 1 where some of the characters were talking about the actor playing Joffrey and how nice he is..one of them did mention that a viewer walked by them one day while they were doing a tour(?) and said some vile words but Jack just shrugged it off...he does such a good job that I'm sure the first instinct is for people to feel angry and disgusted! I know that when I see him on screen I say some pretty foul words and create new phrases that mix with "die!"
    Last edited by mindy384; 04-09-2012 at 05:50 PM.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

I saw Jack Gleeson in A Shine of Rainbows (2009) this weekend. It's a story set in Ireland and his character first bullies/intimidates and then becomes friends with the main character. He is a great actor! He's almost scary in GoT - my husband commented on this last night. He was saying that great actors have to be pretty peculiar people. Capable of consumate deceit, it might be hard to trust them.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

I think our hatred towards Joffrey is a testament to how good Jack Gleeson is.Reminds me a bit of the character of T-Bag in Prison Break.That character was so vile because Robert Knepper was so good playing him

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    I'm still annoyed with the Stannis & Melisandre affair story. IMO, it negatively impacts the "honorable to a fault" quality of his character. I also don't remember Rakharo being beheaded in the books. Maybe they were looking for a way to give Danerys an "I must be strong for my people" scene earlier in the story line?

I didn't read this the same way you did. When this scene ended I was thinking "Wow, they must really want us to hate Baelish". His whole story was saying "another woman who worked for me was unable to "perform", and I made her life a WHOLE lot worse in order to recover my investment in her." So yes, he gave her the night off, while telling her she better recover by the next night or she would regret it.
    Ah, thank you - I knew there was another change to the story that I was forgetting and your post reminded me - that Stannis's wife is "sick", they have no children, and that he has her locked up in a tower. I was like, huh?, when Melisandre said that. So I guess they're trying to reason it out why he's sleeping with her and make it not as nefarious? IDK. But in the books, the double standard is touched upon with the thoughts of his affair. Note: While I looked up the spelling of Shireen's name, it says that HBO listed her on the Baratheon family tree during its first season but now she's been removed. Hmmm.... I wonder what that means for Edric Storm??

Thanks re: the Littlefinger clarification - I heard the beginning of the story and then said something to DH and missed the end of it. I actually thought he'd been talking about Catelyn, that's how much I wasn't paying attention to it. Oops! When it comes to all the whorehouse scenes, I kind of tune out.

And I agree with everyone about Jack Gleeson, he's really great at being bad. It takes a strong person to play someone so disliked and it's a testament to his acting skills how much we dislike him!
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

CCL

Ros needs to go away. They're focusing too much on her, and for no reason. Time they could be spending on Arya and Gendry - love those two. And I didn't care for Littlefinger's speech to her...it didn't have his usual oily charm.
    Agree about holding opinion on Asha/Yara. So far she doesn't really match my visions of the character. Speaking of the Iron Islands, I was rather sad we didn't meet Damphair. I wonder if they're going to cut his character.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by cantstopwatchin View Post
    Ah, thank you - I knew there was another change to the story that I was forgetting and your post reminded me - that Stannis's wife is "sick", they have no children, and that he has her locked up in a tower. I was like, huh?, when Melisandre said that. So I guess they're trying to reason it out why he's sleeping with her and make it not as nefarious? IDK. But in the books, the double standard is touched upon with the thoughts of his affair. Note: While I looked up the spelling of Shireen's name, it says that HBO listed her on the Baratheon family tree during its first season but now she's been removed. Hmmm.... I wonder what that means for Edric Storm??

Thanks re: the Littlefinger clarification - I heard the beginning of the story and then said something to DH and missed the end of it. I actually thought he'd been talking about Catelyn, that's how much I wasn't paying attention to it. Oops! When it comes to all the whorehouse scenes, I kind of tune out.

And I agree with everyone about Jack Gleeson, he's really great at being bad. It takes a strong person to play someone so disliked and it's a testament to his acting skills how much we dislike him!
    She specifically said no sons, not no children. I was waiting to see Shireen because I was curious about how they would do her makeup to depict her greyscale. Maybe they eliminated Shireen and her mother from this season, but I don't see how they can eliminate them from the series completely, especially when they (if they) get to book 5. That friction and contrast between Melisandre and Selyse is kind of important.

Sadly, I bet Edric Storm is toast
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Did anyone else notice that very brief flash of glowing blue eyes when the cowled/hooded figure is picking up the baby from the ground?

Blink, and you miss it. I watched again last night. It happens in the second that the figure turns toward us and turns away again.

So, I'm thinking Craster is giving his newborn sons to white walkers, or Jon dreamed the whole thing.
    cantstopwatchin likes this.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields View Post
    Did anyone else notice that very brief flash of glowing blue eyes when the cowled/hooded figure is picking up the baby from the ground?

Blink, and you miss it. I watched again last night. It happens in the second that the figure turns toward us and turns away again.

So, I'm thinking Craster is giving his newborn sons to white walkers, or Jon dreamed the whole thing.
    I didn't see the flash of blue - but in the books, that is exactly what Craster is doing with his sons. Sort of an offering so they leave him and his daughters/wives alone.

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Yay! I am not surprised they announced this so soon, I think I read that HBO had 6.2 million viewers for the premier episode.

My favorite quote of the night was from Tyrion "I'm not questioning your honor, Lord Janos, I'm denying its very existence."
    ClosetRTWatcher likes this.

+ Reply to Thread