+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 87 FirstFirst 1234567891011121353 ... LastLast
Like Tree171Likes

Thread: Game of Thrones on HBO

Re: Game of Thrones on HBO

Quote Originally Posted by Kao View Post
    Bearcata: He was part of the Night Watch (and the scouting party that found the bodies in the clearing). When you sign up for the Night Watch it's for life; you can't leave the brotherhood for any reason, and desertion is considered a death offense to prevent others from following in their footsteps. You can't have sex*, get married, or have any children. And you don't get to see your other family members again.

After he witnessed his friends get murdered by the Others (beings that most people considered a myth) he freaked out and fled instead of going back to the Wall and reporting what he saw. That's why he was killed when he was recaptured.

*That's not to say that there aren't people who sneak out late at night to the nearest town and visit the whorehouse, but they make sure they aren't spotted and get back in time for the morning headcount.
    OK, that explains the beheading. Still I wonder how he managed to get over that wall of ice. It just seemed a bit of a strange disconnect to see the deserter running for his life in the snow and then next to see him running from knights in a very different climate. I just feel if you are going to have a sneak peek you should tease the viewer into wanting to watch the show and not wander about the internal logic of the clip.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

I've started rereading the series in anticipation of the 5th book being released in July and was pleasantly surprised with how close the preview was to the book and was happy with what I saw. The Wall looks incredible. It's so much more impressive than the one I came up with in my imagination. But, I was soooo disappointed they stopped right at the scene I've been anticipating most (see my avatar - lol!).

Kao, Arya is one of my favorite character in the books and it looks like they're keeping her character true to form as well.

The 17th can't come quick enough for me!!!!

ETA:
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    OK, that explains the beheading. Still I wonder how he managed to get over that wall of ice. It just seemed a bit of a strange disconnect to see the deserter running for his life in the snow and then next to see him running from knights in a very different climate. I just feel if you are going to have a sneak peek you should tease the viewer into wanting to watch the show and not wander about the internal logic of the clip.
    They actually mentioned it in the preview - after the dead bodies were found and the commander wanted to continue forward, the man who eventually deserted tried to dissuade him and said they should turn back. The commander replied that if he wanted to run away south, he could run away but they would behead him as a deserter IF he (the commander) didn't catch him first.

So they kind of gave a little snippet of explanation as to why the beheading would take place...though they def. didn't explain him leapfrogging the wall-lol.
    Last edited by cantstopwatchin; 04-07-2011 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Didn't want to double post
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

Quote Originally Posted by cantstopwatchin View Post
    I've started rereading the series in anticipation of the 5th book being released in July and was pleasantly surprised with how close the preview was to the book and was happy with what I saw. The Wall looks incredible. It's so much more impressive than the one I came up with in my imagination. But, I was soooo disappointed they stopped right at the scene I've been anticipating most (see my avatar - lol!).

Kao, Arya is one of my favorite character in the books and it looks like they're keeping her character true to form as well.

The 17th can't come quick enough for me!!!!

ETA:

They actually mentioned it in the preview - after the dead bodies were found and the commander wanted to continue forward, the man who eventually deserted tried to dissuade him and said they should turn back. The commander replied that if he wanted to run away south, he could run away but they would behead him as a deserter IF he (the commander) didn't catch him first.
    So they kind of gave a little snippet of explanation as to why the beheading would take place...though they def. didn't explain him leapfrogging the wall-lol.
    Well, I got that part, it was just that bit of disconnect from the deserter being in the frozen north and poof next thing you see him running in the green hills. I have seen the trailers and they were totally absorbing and really made me want to see the series. Still I am not going to quibble too much over that sneak peek instead I going sit back and enjoy.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Kao

This news should please you, Cantstopwatchin:

It's an omen when Ned Stark (Sean Bean) discovers the remains of a direwolf, the symbol of House Stark, and her surviving six pups, one for each of the five trueborn Stark children and bastard, Jon Snow. Over the course of the first novel, the children and these animals forge a special rapport and the wolves themselves are crucial to the plot.

While the producers initially wanted to use actual wolves, wild animals are hard to control on sets, and the animals had to work closely with child actors. Instead, head animal trainer Jim Warren turned to the Northern Inuit, a dog breed native to Great Britain that closely resembles wolves. But the animals cast here were not professional actors, said Warren, who had about 12 weeks to train them.

"All of the dogs we received were from rescues and some from private parties that felt that they couldn't deal with the dogs anymore, because they were rambunctious big dogs," said Warren. "They'd never been on set before [and] we had a huge amount of work to do to get them from 'See Spot run to the backyard' to make them look like they did for the show."

The dogs were such a hit among the cast that 15-year-old Sophie Turner, who plays Sansa, adopted the dog who plays her direwolf, Lady, after production had wrapped.

Game of Thrones

I'm so excited for this show which starts on Sunday, April 17. Anyone else?

I haven't even read the books and don't know too much about it but I'll watch anything,A-N-Y-T-H-I-N-G,with Sean Bean in it! I don't care if it's an infomercial about watching paint dry,I'm there!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kao View Post
    This news should please you, Cantstopwatchin:

It's an omen when Ned Stark (Sean Bean) discovers the remains of a direwolf, the symbol of House Stark, and her surviving six pups, one for each of the five trueborn Stark children and bastard, Jon Snow. Over the course of the first novel, the children and these animals forge a special rapport and the wolves themselves are crucial to the plot.

While the producers initially wanted to use actual wolves, wild animals are hard to control on sets, and the animals had to work closely with child actors. Instead, head animal trainer Jim Warren turned to the Northern Inuit, a dog breed native to Great Britain that closely resembles wolves. But the animals cast here were not professional actors, said Warren, who had about 12 weeks to train them.

"All of the dogs we received were from rescues and some from private parties that felt that they couldn't deal with the dogs anymore, because they were rambunctious big dogs," said Warren. "They'd never been on set before [and] we had a huge amount of work to do to get them from 'See Spot run to the backyard' to make them look like they did for the show."

The dogs were such a hit among the cast that 15-year-old Sophie Turner, who plays Sansa, adopted the dog who plays her direwolf, Lady, after production had wrapped.
    Aww, thanks so much for that, Kao! And "Lady" was adopted by "Sansa" in real life - I love that!!

I heard there's a preview out with the pups but haven't watched it because I want to see it all play out Sunday night. Only 4 more days - I.can't.wait!!!!
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

Kao

I don't think I can wait until then. SOMEONE NEEDS TO LEAK THIS ASAP!

'Game of Thrones' lives up to the hype

HBO's new fantasy series pairs dense mythology with crowd-pleasing elements of war, honor, pride, lust, power
    Below:

By Tim Goodman

LOS ANGELES — Barely a few minutes into HBO's epic "Game of Thrones" series, it's clear that the hype was right and the wait was worth it.

Based on the bestselling fantasy book series "A Song of Ice and Fire" by George R.R. Martin often referred to as "the American Tolkien" HBO is betting that fans of "The Lord of the Rings" will come to this for a sprawling, interwoven tale of feuding families, swords, sex, carnage, beasts, frayed loyalties, deception, intrigue and the pursuit of power.

As well they should. "Game of Thrones" has all the elements (many described above) that lure viewers to shows like "The Sopranos," et al. That it's a fantasy series shouldn't scare anyone away, because like "Lord of the Rings" there's a real allure to costume-dramas that pair dense mythology with all of the crowd-pleasing elements of war, honor, pride, lust, power and, yes, even humor. Thrones has all of those in spades and supports them with exceptional storytelling, strong writing, superb acting and some stunning visual effects.

..Writers and executive producers David Benioff and D.B. Weiss will certainly have their hands full dealing with die-hard fans on what they got right or wrong (or left out or put in that may have not been in the books), but they have the backing of Martin, who worked closely with the duo, and that should count for a lot. Perhaps more important to those people who haven't read the books or heard much about this series, Benioff and Weiss kick things off immediately with action, blood-shed and eeriness. Director Tim Van Patten creates a beautiful, haunting, visual template of vast expanses (Northern Ireland, Malta), white snow and dark shadows while also allowing the visual effects to pack a wallop.

That kind of start to the 10-part series was essential because "Game of Thrones" is a complicated story with numerous characters and a dense, interwoven back-story. Though it demands attention, "Thrones" never once bogs down. It's the kind of drama where, when the first episode ends, you wish the nine others were immediately available. And that validates HBO's notion that television is the perfect medium for a fantasy series done right. Getting Martin's "Thrones," the gold-standard, could end up landing HBO its next franchise.

"Thrones" is set in the fictional land of Westeros, where various clans or houses — have lived and fought for generations in different realms, until the Targaryens invaded and united the Seven Kingdoms under the Iron Throne. Now, years later, there's a battle for the throne.

Right from the start, Thrones starts telling as many as four stories, involving the House Stark, run by Lord Eddard Stark (Sean Bean, who will be familiar to "Lord of the Rings" fans); House Baratheon, run by King Robert Baratheon (the wonderful Mark Addy), House Lannister, which is linked to House Baratheon because Queen Cersei Baratheon (Lena Headey) was born a Lannister; and the exiled House Targaryen, where Prince Viserys Targaryen III (Harry Lloyd) wants to reclaim the Iron Throne and all Seven Kingdoms of Westeros. To do that, he'll need an army, which is why he wants his sister, Princess Daenerys (Emilia Clarke) to marry Khal Drogo (Jason Momoa), who leads a tribe of vicious warrior horsemen.

Got that?

It's actually not as confusing as it may sound. And there are more than a few unexpected surprises and even humorous detours (mostly provided by Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister whose whoring and drinking knows no bounds). A great series should challenge viewers to pay attention, to connect dots and anticipate connections. "Thrones" manages a superior complexity without ever making you think that you've lost the connection to the story. It's paced with precision and the carefully crafted assemblage of characters unspools at such a rate that you can keep up while keeping tabs on their ever changing moods.

..What that means, essentially, is that there's a tight grip on the storytelling and a real understanding of who each person is traits that make the complexity easier to bear.

It's difficult to single out the most accomplished parts of "Thrones." The ambition is immense, the fantasy world exceptionally well-conceived, the writing and acting elevating the entire series beyond contemporaries like "The Borgias" and "Camelot," and the visual appeal continues to surprise with each episode.

What we have here is the successful pairing of an acclaimed collection of fantasy books with a television series that illuminates and expands what's on the page.

Worth the wait? Absolutely. And even if you have no idea what all the fuss is about, you should get in from the start to absorb Martin's fantastical tale.
    'Game of Thrones' lives up to the hype - Entertainment - Television - TODAY.com

FYI for anyone who is on the fence about buying the books, Amazon has a boxed set of the first four books for $21.58: Amazon.com: George R. R. Martin's A Game of Thrones 4-Book Boxed Set: A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings, A Storm of Swords, and A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice and Fire) (9780345529053): George R.R. Martin: Books

If you buy them individually it comes to almost twice that. I may have to bite the bullet and get them. I've been hearing about this series for years now and have just never read it.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread