+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 87 FirstFirst ... 19202122232425262728293031323334353637383979 ... LastLast
Like Tree173Likes

Thread: Game of Thrones on HBO

Re: Game of Thrones on HBO

I'm getting excited for the first appearance of Brienne! The pics I've seen on her are from episode 4, but I don't know if we'll see her before that. She's one of my favorites from the books, so I'm eager to see how Gwendoline Christie does with the character.

That brings up the question of when
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Renly dies. I don't think we saw too much of Brienne in the books before Renley's death. Maybe we'll meet her in epi 3 and then Renly will be killed in epi 4? That whole sequence is so great in the books. I can't wait to see it on screen!

Also, I'm already anticipating having trouble with Rose Leslie as Ygritte. Will I be able to buy her as a wildling without imagining her in her maid's uniform on Downton Abbey? I hope so!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Well, I guess we got to see more of Stannis's map table, although that wasn't how I imagined we'd see more of it!

Pyke and the Iron Islands got added to the intro tonight. Pyke looks just like I imagined in the books. I'm not sold on "Yara" (aka Asha) yet. She's not what I imagined. The character is SO strong in the books. The actress has a lot to live up to!

So far, Davos is coming off a bit too noble and aristocratic for me. He was a smuggler and a pirate before serving Stannis. Right now, Liam Cunningham is much more commanding than Stephen Dillane....maybe that's the way it should be, since Stannis isn't supposed to be very charismatic, but it still bothered me. I didn't pay attention to his hands in this episode. Have we seen his thumbs or lack thereof?
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

The map table! Ouchies!!

I'm not buying that Joffrey made the decision to kill Robert's bastards - at least not under his own inspiration. It's clear they are no threat to the line of ascension - high born bastards seem to be utterly common in Westeros and no one considers them possible heirs. The only threat Robert's bastards seem to represent is that they are a dark haired menace to Cersei/Jamie/Joffrey. Someone could visit them as Ned and Jon Arren did and easily draw their same conclusions.

When Ghost is menacing Gilly, you can see two Watchmen in the background who look around when Gilly screams and upon seeing Ghost they just turn back around to resume whatever they were doing. I love that Jon's bizarre pet direwolf can just wander around the camp and no one in the Watch finds it odd or threatening.

And I loved the way Sam, the avowed coward, shoos away a direwolf the same way he might shoo away a dog displaying bad doggy manners! Sam also had my favorite line in the show: "I wish I grew up on a farm."

Something about Jon's terror/paranoia as he runs through the woods (and that brief blue-eyed flash of a white walker with the newborn) makes me think the final scene was a dream.
    Last edited by Poppy Fields; 04-09-2012 at 10:58 AM.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields View Post
    I'm not buying that Joffrey made the decision to kill Robert's bastards - at least not under his own inspiration. It's clear they are no threat to the line of ascension - high born bastards seem to be utterly common in Westeros and no one considers them possible heirs. The only threat Robert's bastards seem to represent is that they are a dark haired menace to Cersei/Jamie/Joffrey. Someone could visit them as Ned and Jon Arren did and easily draw their same conclusions.
    Considering how nasty he got with Cersei last week and how ruthless he's shown himself to be, I totally believe it. I can't remember if it's been revealed on the show or if it's only in the books, so I'll spoiler this, but he also
    Click to see Spoiler:
    was responsible for the attack on Bran back at Winterfell - the one using Tyrion's knife
    We're only beginning to see how vile Joffrey really is.
    And I loved the way Sam, the avowed coward, shoos away a direwolf the same way he might shoo away a dog displaying bad doggy manners! Sam also had my favorite line in the show: "I wish I grew up on a farm."
    While thinking, longingly, of some of Craster's wives. You know it's been a long time since those boys have seen women if they get turned on by those outfits!

I love Maisie Williams, but I've started to worry that she's going to develop too quickly and it will be less and less believable that she is a boy. It's already starting to be. Luckily
    Click to see Spoiler:
    she doesn't have to pretend to be a boy through the rest of the series.

I saw pics of Isaac Hempstead Wright recently and he's getting much more mature looking. I don't know how much he's grown height-wise, but I wonder how it will look to have Hodor carrying a giant Bran around!

On the first point, at least in an article I read, it was absolutely intended to be Joffrey who ordered the deaths of the b**tards. The point in the article was that Cersei's love and loyalty to her son and his heinous decisions was going to be pushed to the limits this season - and none more than in the second episode, when she finds out about how far he will go. Seeing what we saw last night, that can only be her understanding that Joffrey ordered the deaths.

Interesting comment, Poppy, about the dream. I don't remember him actually seeing it in the books - wasn't it explicitly told to him by Gilly? Hmmm . . . it's been two months since I finished the books - might be time to go back and read them again.

I'm remembering now that, in the books, it was Cersei who ordered the children killed. Maybe they're simply trying to make her look more sympathetic and Joffrey even more monstrous Not that he isn't a complete beast already.

One important thing happened in this episode that didn't seem all that major - Tyrion sent Janos Slynt to the Wall. That will be hugely important in books 3 & 5. Not to get ahead of things too much!

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

They sure switched a lot of things up last night - Arya's exposure as a girl and her coming clean to Gendry so soon, Jon watching Craster smuggle the baby out instead of Gilly telling them (you remembered correctly, Katesmom), Joffrey killing his half-siblings, Stannis & Melisandre on the table (which, Critical, I hadn't really paid too much attention to until your previous post about it and then I had to chuckle at the final scene-lol), and Rakharo's beheading (I thought he cont'd on with her?) - but I found that everything made sense (except Rakharo's death) in order to move the plot forward quickly so I don't mind.

What was up with Littlefinger giving the whore the night off when she was crying? Was that to set him up as a compassionate man? That whole scene just didn't make sense to me at all.

And holy cow - Biter scared the bejezus out of me! It looked like they used Hannibal Lector as a model for him, which I guess would make sense. I was excited to see Jaquen and look forward to his storyline progressing.

And I still intensely dislike Theon. Or maybe the poor actor never stood a chance b/c I've always found that character as despicable as Joffrey... I imagine neither get too many fan letters, extolling their virtues.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

Quote Originally Posted by cantstopwatchin View Post
    And I still intensely dislike Theon. Or maybe the poor actor never stood a chance b/c I've always found that character as despicable as Joffrey... I imagine neither get too many fan letters, extolling their virtues.
    I've never liked Theon either AND I don't think the actor is very good. He's not BAD, but the bar is higher among that cast of terrific actors. You're right though, it doesn't help that the character is scummy. When I rewatched season 1 and got to the part where Theon swears loyalty to Robb for the rest of his life, I said "Rhymes with sneak!"

I've read more than one interview with the producers talking about Jack Gleason and, apparently, he's a really sweet guy. They said it's odd that he can tap in so completely to the vileness of Joffrey. So far, no one has smacked him on the street or yelled at him, but I have to believe it will happen one of these days!

They sure switched a lot of things up last night - Arya's exposure as a girl and her coming clean to Gendry so soon, Jon watching Craster smuggle the baby out instead of Gilly telling them (you remembered correctly, Katesmom), Joffrey killing his half-siblings, Stannis & Melisandre on the table (which, Critical, I hadn't really paid too much attention to until your previous post about it and then I had to chuckle at the final scene-lol), and Rakharo's beheading (I thought he cont'd on with her?) - but I found that everything made sense (except Rakharo's death) in order to move the plot forward quickly so I don't mind.
    I'm still annoyed with the Stannis & Melisandre affair story. IMO, it negatively impacts the "honorable to a fault" quality of his character. I also don't remember Rakharo being beheaded in the books. Maybe they were looking for a way to give Danerys an "I must be strong for my people" scene earlier in the story line?

What was up with Littlefinger giving the whore the night off when she was crying? Was that to set him up as a compassionate man? That whole scene just didn't make sense to me at all.
    I didn't read this the same way you did. When this scene ended I was thinking "Wow, they must really want us to hate Baelish". His whole story was saying "another woman who worked for me was unable to "perform", and I made her life a WHOLE lot worse in order to recover my investment in her." So yes, he gave her the night off, while telling her she better recover by the next night or she would regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    I didn't read this the same way you did. When this scene ended I was thinking "Wow, they must really want us to hate Baelish". His whole story was saying "another woman who worked for me was unable to "perform", and I made her life a WHOLE lot worse in order to recover my investment in her." So yes, he gave her the night off, while telling her she better recover by the next night or she would regret it.
    That's how I interpreted it too He didn't want any more unhappy customers dealing with a crying prostitute. Better to give her the night off and not lose any more money or have customers leave, er, unsatisfied.

+ Reply to Thread