+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 87 FirstFirst ... 17181920212223242526272829303132333435363777 ... LastLast
Like Tree173Likes

Thread: Game of Thrones on HBO

Re: Game of Thrones on HBO

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    OMG, I can't believe how fast that episode went! I looked up and it was over! Watching it again...
    Yep, me too! I think my favorite part was actually the direwolf! Definitely closer to full grown now!
    cantstopwatchin likes this.

I watched the first time through like I was drugged. I couldn't look away. On the second time through, I'm noticing more details.

We finally see Stannis's map table! I've been waiting for that ever since I read book 2. I hope we get better shots of it in the coming episodes. It's one of the cooler things in the books, I think. So far, Stannis is coming off like Melisandre's puppet instead of a strong leader.

I loved the looks on pretty much everyone's face when Tyrion appeared pretty much anywhere. Clearly, he's been under-estimated. I thought he looked particularly sexy when he showed up at the beginning of the episode.

Katesmom - I saw something about the wolves this season. They're using real wolves rather than dogs bred to look like wolves like they did last season. The producers felt it added something to have real wolves instead of dogs. Based on just the small appearance of Grey Wind, I'd say they were right!

I enjoyed seeing Cersei take the wind out of Petr's sails. He's such a little schemer. I'm more on his side than hers, but I still thought that was a great moment. "Power is power."

I watched season 1 today for a refresher - the first time since I'd read the books through twice. When Theon swore loyalty to Robb until his death in episode 10, I said "Reek. Rhymes with sneak."

Just when you thought Joffrey couldn't be more of a little psychopath. I almost felt sorry for Cersei. Almost. After all, she created that monster.

Not nearly enough Arya in this episode. Hopefully soon....

ETA: I forgot to add that while Craster doesn't look the way I imagined him (much too well-groomed and not smelly looking!), Craster's Keep is exactly as I pictured it, especially the interior!
    Last edited by Critical; 04-02-2012 at 12:26 AM.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Eh, nothing happened. That's cool by me, but we're all still status quo ante after Ned's death. There was the addition of the red-headed soothsayer for the senior Baratheon brother, but..meh. Not enough dragons and seriously middle school CGI on the dire wolves makes me think time is better spent (and money better spent) on AMC.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

I thought a great deal happened! I thought this first episode was dense with "firsts."

We are brought up to date, and the story is advancing. We see The Imp come into his own. We see another side of Cersei, and she nearly evokes our empathy when slapping her infinitely slappable son and when she redefines what "power" is for Littlefinger.

We see the clumsy arrogance of boy kings toward their mothers in both Rob and Joff as they come to terms with the reversal of that truly awesome authority.

We see the impressive introduction of the mangificent Melisandre to the story, and realize that poor unlikeable Stannis (the legal heir to the throne) needs a magical ally.

We see the slaughter of the innocents (which I really do not think the young king is responsible for). And we see that, indeed, Jon Snow cannot open his mouth without inserting one of his feet into it.

My overall impression: completely enjoyable and richly satisfying. Well worth the long wait. Next Sunday cannot get here fast enough!
    Last edited by Poppy Fields; 04-02-2012 at 10:57 AM.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

I thought it was a great episode and they moved quickly into each of the main storylines. I can see where Arya's needed to happen last (after the murders of Robert's bastards) to hit home who Gendry is, so now that we know this, I'm hoping she'll be getting some more screen time from here on out.

Love, love Tyrion. He's the character I want to dislike but find myself cheering for. I can't wait to see where Peter Dinklage takes him this season; he's such a rich character (and I'm not talking about him being a rich Lannister-lol).

I'm sad to say I actually LOL'd when Greywind appeared. Talk about a stark change - was the wolf made bigger by CGI or was it just a regular wolf? Regardless, impressive (but still looked fake).

RE: Melisandre & Stannis (didn't see those comments before) -
    Click to see Spoiler:
    it's implied by other characters in the books. I'd have to relook, but if I remember correctly, Davos implies a few times in various books about their sexual relationship, once before she gives birth to the darkness while he's in the boat with her in Clash of Kings and then again I think before Stannis leaves for the Wall. Then I think Jon makes a few comments to himself in Dance with Dragons. Again, no one ever comes out and says it but it's thought about by other characters around them. I have a feeling they'll make it more obvious in the show, like they did with Renly being gay, which was only alluded to in Game of Thrones.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

CSW, thanks for the spoiler information - that was how I remembered it as well, having just recently finished reading the books.

I did read an article that said the wolves were real wolves this year - but that yes, they were also enhanced with CGI.

With Ned being gone this season, they also said that Tyrion will really become the main storyteller this season, which I am happy about.

Finally, and I'll put this in spoilers:
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Please tell me Joffrey dies this season? He is really good at being bad - but man, he needs to die!!

Quote Originally Posted by KatesMom View Post
    CSW, thanks for the spoiler information - that was how I remembered it as well, having just recently finished reading the books.

I did read an article that said the wolves were real wolves this year - but that yes, they were also enhanced with CGI.

With Ned being gone this season, they also said that Tyrion will really become the main storyteller this season, which I am happy about.

Finally, and I'll put this in spoilers:
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Please tell me Joffrey dies this season? He is really good at being bad - but man, he needs to die!!
    Re: your spoiler:
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Unless they change things up, you're going to be disappointed this season! If you want to know more, you have to read the books! There are spoilers out there if you really want to know, but I know that I didn't want to know before i read the books.

Poppy Fields - that's exactly how I felt about the episode! SO much happened. The plot wasn't moved along too much because we had to catch up with all of the characters and see where they are since we last left them. I expect things to really pick up in the next few episodes. After all, they have to cram the action of the entire HUGE book into ten episodes!

One of the things I loved about A Clash of Kings is that Tyrion is so prominent in the story. I've always thought that he's pretty much the smartest person in the whole series and this is when we start seeing it.

The thing with the wolves did bother me a bit, but I think that's an unfortunate result of HBO not giving them a big enough budget. They're using real wolves this year, but I don't think enlarging them with CGI is necessarily a good idea. I guess we'll see as the season progresses.

This is the article where David Benioff and DB Weiss talk about season 2: 'Game of Thrones' showrunners talk season 2 | Inside TV | EW.com
    Also you’re using real wolves this season?
    Benioff: There’s a difference. Just those wolf eyes looking at you. Those dogs did a perfectly fine job last season but there’s always a little bit of, “That’s not really a wolf, that’s a dog.” You know when a wolf is staring at you and it makes a big difference, so that makes me very happy.
    They also talk about the fact that they are splitting book 3 into two seasons (if they get renewed, which sort of seems like a given at this point), although they aren't sure how yet.

I love that they change the opening sequence to add locations. This time, we saw Dragonstone for the first time. I think Stephen Dillane is doing a terrific job at showing how unlikeable Stannis is and how much he needs Melisandre.

I forgot to mention the difference in Lord Mormont. I think that, last season, he came off as a leader, but last night, you saw how he got there. He's no feeble old man. He's the Old Bear!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

There was another reveal in the premiere: Winter is really coming again and the gates to the capital will be closed to refugee peasants. It occurs to me that there is no better image than that of "fire" for a deity in a land where Winter (and darkness) reign for years on end.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Agreed about the CGI wolves, it was a little off. But as long as the effects don't get as goofy as "Fairy World" in True Blood did, I'll deal.

I don't know how you guys remember all these names! Maybe I'm so zonked out by Sunday night I just can't concentrate. I'll have to watch this one again to pick up all the little things I missed.
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post
    Agreed about the CGI wolves, it was a little off. But as long as the effects don't get as goofy as "Fairy World" in True Blood did, I'll deal.
    And they definitely weren't as cheesy as the wolves in the last Twilight movie!

I don't know how you guys remember all these names! Maybe I'm so zonked out by Sunday night I just can't concentrate. I'll have to watch this one again to pick up all the little things I missed.
    It comes from reading the books twice in less than six months! Plus, I watched the episode four times in a row last night

+ Reply to Thread