+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 87 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303171 ... LastLast
Like Tree171Likes

Thread: Game of Thrones on HBO

CCL

Re: Game of Thrones on HBO

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post

They've cast Theon's sister, although they're changing her name to Yara because Asha is too close to Osha, who we'll also meet this season.
    [url=http://winter-is-coming.net/2011/08/its-official-gemma-whelan-to-play-yara-greyjoy/]It’s official: Gemma Whelan to play Yara Greyjoy - Winter Is Coming
    Note: we already met Osha in season 1; she is played by Natalia Tena.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

You're right - I totally forgot about that. Still, I wish they'd changed Osha's name instead of Asha's since she's more important down the road.

TPTB have done a few things without looking forward or checking with GRRM. They actually killed a few characters in season 1 who play a part in future books. DOH!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

CCL

Did they? There are so many characters I sometimes get confused. I think they could have easily left Asha's name as is, however, even with Osha in play. I find the initial vowel sound distinguishing enough.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    Did they? There are so many characters I sometimes get confused. I think they could have easily left Asha's name as is, however, even with Osha in play. I find the initial vowel sound distinguishing enough.
    Whoops, sorry not to have responded! GRRM has said that the singer whose tongue was ripped out on Joffrey's orders plays a part in the series later, although he was not named on the show and the Dothraki that Drogo killed (the one he killed with his bare hands) is someone who plays a role in Dany's story. He also wasn't named on the show, so at least they can just bring someone else in for both parts.

ITA about Asha/Osha. I'd have preferred that they change Osha's name, since she's not as pivotal a character.

I think this is the final major character to be cast: Game of Thrones casts wild beauty Ygritte | Inside TV | EW.com I really liked her on Downton Abbey and I think she's a good fit for Ygritte - pretty, but not beautiful and she can be "uglied up" a bit for the part.

Also, this article has all the new cast members listed in one place: Game of Thrones: Meet the New Faces of Season 2

The next news I'm waiting for is the season 2 DVD release date!
    Last edited by Critical; 10-11-2011 at 06:13 AM.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

CCL

I don't recall either of those characters in the later books...that's not to say anything, though, as there are so many characters.
    My mom's hooked on the series now; she just finished book one. She watched the first three episodes on demand but now they've taken them off and she's ticked. I wonder when they are going to release it on dvd.
    The actress for Ygritte is good. I liked her on Downton as well. (Can't wait for that to come back on in January). I read somewhere that the Reeds are supposed to be in Season 2 (I don't remember when they showed up in the books) but there is speculation that they might not have them in the show and rewrite that section, maybe having Osha take their part. Which would be wrong I think.

Some thoughts on the new cast members:

Nonso Anozie
    Character: Xaro Xhoan Daxos
    -I pictured Xaro as a tall, thin, dark-skinned man.

Stephen Dillane
    Character: Stannis Baratheon
    -Although not fat, it seemed that Stannis was a slightly more impossing figure (borader shoulders, etc...).

Tom Wlaschiha
    Character: Jaqen H'ghar
    -Almost exactly like I pictured him!

Gemma Whelan
    Character: Yara Greyjoy (aka Asha, Theon's badass sis)
    -Ehhh--I really envisioned a striking girl with hard features (very defined/high cheekbones/you know)...this actress looks a bit 'mousy' to me...

Hannah Murray
    Character: Gilly
    -Spot-on

I only compiled this list because it amazes me how we imagine our characters, how the casting people see them and, ultimately, the difference between all of these personal creations from the actual descriptions in the book! I have often noticed that an author will paint a character a certain way and by the end of the book they are floating around in my head with totally different features(!)...similarily, when many of these works make it to tv/movie land I often interject the face they provide as I revisit the written stories (and, in this particular case, I HAVE to for Dany because I cant bring myself to picture a little girl after the amazing woman I saw on screen became her).

I am eagerly awaiting the second season because I love this show but the second book was/is EASILY MY LEAST FAVORITE. Also, I am not sure how many people follow the comiccon discussions, etc... but the writers and producers of GOT said that if they got to the RW (colored wedding-dont want to be too spoilerish) they would be happy (this was in response to where they might end the show). I hope they were trying to express that they wanted to get at LEAST that far instead of seeing that as a series wrap-up (really, that would be an awful series finale!). Besides, I NEED to see Arya's story on screen--I just love her character!

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    I don't recall either of those characters in the later books...that's not to say anything, though, as there are so many characters.
    My mom's hooked on the series now; she just finished book one. She watched the first three episodes on demand but now they've taken them off and she's ticked. I wonder when they are going to release it on dvd.
    The actress for Ygritte is good. I liked her on Downton as well. (Can't wait for that to come back on in January). I read somewhere that the Reeds are supposed to be in Season 2 (I don't remember when they showed up in the books) but there is speculation that they might not have them in the show and rewrite that section, maybe having Osha take their part. Which would be wrong I think.
    I think the dead Dothraki becomes one of Dany's bloodriders and maybe the singer is still to reappear in the books. They do mention him in book 1, but his tongue isn't removed. I'm pretty sure Joff just sends him to the dungeon to choose which one he wants to lose - his fingers or his tongue. Then we don't see him again. Maybe he's still sitting in some dank cell waiting for someone to come get him...or maybe I missed him when he finally reappeared. I'm re-reading the series right now, so I'm looking for all the things I missed before.

I hope they don't do away with the Reeds. I like them! Plus, who will
    Click to see Spoiler:
    go with Rickon if it's just Osha?

I think Weiss and Benioff would love to do the whole series, but it's TV and budget often becomes a factor, especially on pay cable. I saw the interview where they talked about their hopes for the show and my take is that they just really wanted to get at least to RW. Depending on how they split up book 3, that could end up being the finale to season 3 OR it could happen in season 4. I don't think the show is going anywhere any time soon, but I think the one factor that could sink it is budget. The special effects budget alone is going to skyrocket this season, just because of the dragons. Add to that the Battle of Blackwater and, well....GRRM has been joking for months that they're going to have to take donations to pay for the episode "Blackwater" that features that battle (he wrote the epi).

Rome was critically acclaimed and had a loyal fan base too, but it got canned after two seasons becsuse it was so costly to make. I'm hoping GOT doesn't suffer the same fate, not just because so many HUGE things happen in book 3! I mean, it's not just RW -
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Jon Snow finally gets his groove on! I think we all want to see that!

Nice (albeit short) interview with GRRM about both the books and the series....an the ripple effect caused by any changes in the TV show, including the killing of the Dothraki we talked about uphread:
    On TV, we saw the death of Mago, but we will see him in the books he's still alive. It will have to be different in the book than in the show, because they killed him on TV. These are the kind of ripple effects that can happen.
    George R.R. Martin on His Favorite Game of Thrones Actors, and the Butterfly Effect of TV Adaptations -- Vulture
    For those who haven't read the books, or read beyond book 1, the article does contain spoilers from books 2-5.

Also, some cool season 2 production info from the set: HBO - Making Game of Thrones

Two minute behind-the-scenes video of season 2: 'Game of Thrones': First footage of season 2 -- VIDEO | Inside TV | EW.com
    I'm giddy.

Yeah, yeah, yeah!!!!!!!!
    I don't object to the concept of a deity, but I'm baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance.
    Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur. Happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr...purr...purr.

+ Reply to Thread