+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 87 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272868 ... LastLast
Like Tree173Likes

Thread: Game of Thrones on HBO

CCL

Re: Game of Thrones on HBO

I was torn like brunette trixie but I caved and bought the books, especially considering the price was right (18.00 for the four novels (digital editions)). I wasn't sure if I would read the first book as I had just watched the series but I've decided to start with it; as Critical says, the book always covers more ground than any movie version could.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Check your TV listings as HBO is rerunning the episodes. It might be more fun to watch the show again now and really get into the nuances.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I finally got how to get to the HBOGO.com site. DISH customers can't go in through that door. We have to use a special DISH door.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    What I will tell anyone who's on the fence about reading the books is this: if your hesitation is not wanting to know what's going to happen, then obviously, don't read them. But if your concern is that the show will diverge from the books like with True Blood, then read the books. The show creators have made it pretty clear that they aren't going to mess with the books any more than they can help it.
    I started reading the first book last night and I had a VERY hard time putting it down to go to sleep!! While I was watching the show I sometimes had a hard time keeping track of the characters, but it is much easier for me when I have SEEN the name on paper. I'm not very far in, but I have already had a couple of ah-HA moments making connections between the characters that were fuzzy for me while watching the show but are crystal clear reading the book.

It is following the story closely, but filling in the gaps for me along the way and I LOVE that!!
    Critical and cantstopwatchin like this.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Game of Thrones author George R. R. Martin announced late Thursday that British actress Gwendoline Christie has landed the role of Brienne in HBO’s adaptation of the epic fantasy novel series.

Gwendoline Christie lands role of Brienne in HBO
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

She's definitely got the height to play Brienne. I guess they can ugly her up. Still waiting on Stannis, Melisandre and Davos.....(among others)

Maybe they'll make some casting announcements at Comic-Con in a few weeks.

ETA: I just read GRRM's blog and he thinks Natalie's perfect for Brienne. Apparently, she came into the audition looking like Brienne and not the way she looks in her publicity pics.
    Last edited by Critical; 07-08-2011 at 02:41 PM.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

We love this show. Caught it on demand last week and zipped right through the whole season. Yesterday I bought the first 2 books of the series. My son has already taken the first one to read, so I'll have to wait until he is finished.

Book 5 is out on Tuesday. Here is a short article:

Review: 'A Dance with Dragons' - San Antonio Express-News

"Readers are immersed in a foreign, yet oddly familiar world, constantly looking forward, anticipating the next move in this giant game of chess, while peering over their shoulders, connecting dots in a web of intrigue and politics. We don't know what will happen next. And a lot happens.

For the uninitiated, Westeros is a kingdom of mountains, river valleys, deserts and craggy islands in a chivalrous medieval age dominated by royal houses connected by blood oaths and generational feuds.

King Robert of the House Baratheon, whose banner sports a rearing stag, has died, leaving a vacancy on the Iron Throne, literally constructed of swords handed down through the ages. The idea being: A throne should not be easy to sit upon."

Read more: Review: 'A Dance with Dragons' - San Antonio Express-News
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

I'm about 450 pages into book 5 and I have to say that it's totally worth the wait....okay, maybe I don't want to put that thought out into the universe. I don't want to wait 6 years for book 6!

For those who are just now starting the series, I'll say that book 1 is tougher than the books that follow, especially 2 and 3 (and now 5). Having watched the show will be a big help, but know that the books only get better!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I second that! The books are just great. I'm only half way through the second book and I'm loving it.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

The Emmy nominations have been announced and Game of Thrones got nominations for Best Show and Best Supporting Actor for Peter Dinklage! I'm so thrilled for him and the show!

ETA: I should add that the show got 13 nominations in total - the others were in categories like casting, stunt coordination, costume design, sound editing, makeup, etc.
    Last edited by Critical; 07-14-2011 at 04:55 PM.

+ Reply to Thread